One for Shell V-power petrol users.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

This guy is an Engineer that fettles Aston Martins. Not some hick Yank YouTube 'Star' so I'd take what he says as correct.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Food for thought when I collect my GTS.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

What I do not get how this ethanol issue ties in with octane level issue with BP and Esso being 97? and Shell and Tesco 99 for their premium petrol options?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
FSB

Post by FSB »

On the 911UK website there is a thread discussing Esso Synergy vs Shell V Power. Below is an interesting comment from this on the octane rating for Esso Synergy:

"The 97 thing is a bit of a misnomer, a contact of mine is one of Esso's engine dyno fuel testers. The fuel is typically 100, or 99 octane. He told me exactly how the advertised octane rating arrived at 97, a very long story but entirely true. In a nutshell, the fuel was tested at individual garages all over the country over a period of one year. One sample and one sample alone, tested 97. That pump had never sold a single litre, the fuel was 9 months old....

We see more horsepower on this fuel than any other when testing various engines on our in house engine dyno. It's good stuff."

Make of that what you will?
Nige

2016: Boxster 981 GTS in GT Silver
2020: Macan GTS in Crayon
On order: GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PR9P7VG9
JBA

Post by JBA »

Really useful info. Thank you.
I've been using Shell Vpower for my GTS and on previous cars thinking it was the best fuel. Should I and my fellow Macan driver be switching to Esso in light of this highly informative content?
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
RAA

Post by RAA »

JBA wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am Really useful info. Thank you.
I've been using Shell Vpower for my GTS and on previous cars thinking it was the best fuel. Should I and my fellow Macan driver be switching to Esso in light of this highly informative content?
I'm now asking myself that same question - Shell V-Power and its additives vs. Esso's Synergy and its 100 Octane, bio-ethanol-free fuel ?
pmg

Post by pmg »

RAA wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:55 am
JBA wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am Really useful info. Thank you.
I'm now asking myself that same question - Shell V-Power and its additives vs. Esso's Synergy and its 100 Octane, bio-ethanol-free fuel ?
I am certainly going to try a tank full of Synergy next time I am low.

in addition, I do travel to some rural areas of the country where stations getting very few like Mid wales (if allowed back if they ever accept tourism again!), have a north of Scotland trip planned next year and another brand on my acceptable list could be handy
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Shell V is rare here, Esso (never mind Synergy)even rarerer..........

Back in the day I always thought ELF good fuel. Car always 'felt' better..........
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Maybe this is why Ferrari have been rubbish for some years using V-power!
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Tesco Momentum is Esso supplied and 99 octane rating, so I assume this is the same and it’s what we have put int both of our cars since new. I am not sure if I notice a performance difference, but at an 8p/l premium I have seen almost equivalent increase in fuel consumption and increased range as a rule.

As to Ethanol impact I have never really thought about it, yes it’s a shorter hydrocarbon so will have a lower output, but I am not sure that would be noticeable and the video highlight Astons cant compensate, which I assume the Audi/Porsche engine can. I also assume this is at red line. Not something that worries me if I get 1 or 2 HP drop at max rpm, I still have 350+ left 😊
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)