Best Macan fuel: Esso v Shell V ?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JBA

Post by JBA »

Hi all,
I've been filling up with Shell V premium but now reading this from the link below (plus earlier posts on the forum) still not sure what is best for my GTS.

Very frustrating that this relentless drive to low CO2 and green energy policy could be costing us in terms of engine damage and maintenance costs!

Any thoughts on validity of using Esso premium over other fuels for your Macan?

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/news-and- ... -with-esso
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024

pmg

Post by pmg »

JBA wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:59 am Hi all,
I've been filling up with Shell V premium but now reading this from the link below (plus earlier posts on the forum) still not sure what is best for my GTS.

Very frustrating that this relentless drive to low CO2 and green energy policy could be costing us in terms of engine damage and maintenance costs!

There is a recent thread on this viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9898

After this discussion I last week bought my 1st thankful of "Esso Synergy 97" having previously been A Shell V power user. So far I have done 2 runs of about 50 miles, both I which I have done regularly. early days but I appear from MFD display reading to be getting about 1 mpg more. So the very early results are indicating cleaner burn, and hence more power and more MPG
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
pmg

Post by pmg »

pmg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:49 am

After this discussion I last week bought my 1st thankful of "Esso Synergy 97" having previously been A Shell V power user. So far I have done 2 runs of about 50 miles, both I which I have done regularly. Early days but I appear from MFD display reading to be getting about 1 mpg more. So the very early results are indicating cleaner burn, and hence more power and more MPG. Certainly the car feels to drive no worse and possibly slightly better
JBA

Post by JBA »

pmg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 am
pmg wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:49 am

After this discussion I last week bought my 1st thankful of "Esso Synergy 97" having previously been A Shell V power user. So far I have done 2 runs of about 50 miles, both I which I have done regularly. Early days but I appear from MFD display reading to be getting about 1 mpg more. So the very early results are indicating cleaner burn, and hence more power and more MPG. Certainly the car feels to drive no worse and possibly slightly better
Thanks PMG.
I am going to trial Esso premium too. Apparently it will need a few tankfuls to get properly into the engine. Let's see if any difference.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
penport

Post by penport »

+1

I too have switched to Synergy from VPower, and also on my first tankful.
MFD showing 1-2mpg higher in comparable driving - now getting 30-31 as opposed to 28-29
No noticeable difference in performance though
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

First fill up for me today and we have a local Esso so Synergy it is....
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Although a long term V Power user I will be giving Synergy a try, in both cars and bikes. Primarily because the premium version doesn't have ethanol in it, but I'm still a little unsure about it being described on the pump as 'only' 97 octane.

I also have a local Esso station whereas V Power is a little more difficult to obtain around here. Slight downside is that the Esso station doesn't have the fill at pump option via the Esso app. I find quite the Fill and Go facility quite useful at Shell stations.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:40 am but I'm still a little unsure about it being described on the pump as 'only' 97 octane.

In the previous thread, the original enthusiast for Synergy + explained the 97 as the rules requiring the rating to set at lowest produced at any station of those tested and petrol going off with age. I see from Porsche Club article ESSO Synergy + is in practice different fuel depending on where you buy it. In the South apart from the extreme South-West it is Ethanol free but in North West, Teesside and Scotland comes from different refineries and includes up to 5% ethanol. I suspect the lower rating 97 ratings comes from a northern garage being included in the test.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:49 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:40 am but I'm still a little unsure about it being described on the pump as 'only' 97 octane.

In the previous thread, the original enthusiast for Synergy + explained the 97 as the rules requiring the rating to set at lowest produced at any station of those tested and petrol going off with age. I see from Porsche Club article ESSO Synergy + is in practice different fuel depending on where you buy it. In the South apart from the extreme South-West it is Ethanol free but in North West, Teesside and Scotland comes from different refineries and includes up to 5% ethanol. I suspect the lower rating 97 ratings comes from a northern garage being included in the test.
Yes, I read that, but the explanation of the single lowest test rules sounds a little implausible. I can’t see Shell accepting that for their claimed 99 octane V Power.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA