Almost there! Opinions welcomed

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Guy

Post by Guy »

Don't forget that the Bose subwoofer takes up much of the space behind the spare, if you spec it.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Peteski wrote:
Marra wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm
As i said originally, I have aspired to Porsche ownership forever and if I am to finally get one I can't shake the feeling that it should have a Porsche petrol engine in it rather than and Audi diesel, regardless of how good that makes the diesel S.
That's all the reason you need to choose the petrol S. Make sure you test drive both to be sure, that's what I'm going to do. Then you can order with confidence. Both versions seem to have plenty of fans. Diesel is clearly the most popular based on the numbers sold. The used market seems to prefer them too at this point. It's interesting that waiting lists for petrol appear to be longer, but that could easily change in future as the factory reacts to market changes.
Isn't the long wait time on petrol variants more a function of supply than demand? To me it is simply a reflection of the prioritisation of the US market by Porsche where petrol is what everyone wants and cars are mostly sold from stock off the dealer floor. If they increased supply to the UK, I wonder if the mix of Macan's would even out more as many have probably bought Diesels based on reduced lead times.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 am
Peteski wrote:
As i said originally, I have aspired to Porsche ownership forever and if I am to finally get one I can't shake the feeling that it should have a Porsche petrol engine in it rather than and Audi diesel, regardless of how good that makes the diesel S.
That's all the reason you need to choose the petrol S. Make sure you test drive both to be sure, that's what I'm going to do. Then you can order with confidence. Both versions seem to have plenty of fans. Diesel is clearly the most popular based on the numbers sold. The used market seems to prefer them too at this point. It's interesting that waiting lists for petrol appear to be longer, but that could easily change in future as the factory reacts to market changes.
Isn't the long wait time on petrol variants more a function of supply than demand? To me it is simply a reflection of the prioritisation of the US market by Porsche where petrol is what everyone wants and cars are mostly sold from stock off the dealer floor. If they increased supply to the UK, I wonder if the mix of Macan's would even out more as many have probably bought Diesels based on reduced lead times.
Your take sounds completely feasible, but I have no idea why the supply of petrols in the UK is slow. Never a bad thing for residuals though if it continues.
Caster

Post by Caster »

Looks a fine spec Marra - great colour choice and nice balance of 3 switches down each side of centre console! 👍

On the tinkering side, you could save a bit by getting boot liner (as Bigbaldybloke mentioned) and wheel centers (as I did) off eBay or even foc from the SE (like my mats etc) + perhaps put saving towards a compass to improve dash as Iain Smith hinted or even a storage pack - if more useful to you.

Re the S or SD choice - we could (and probably will!) discuss this for ages but I'd just advise getting 'em both for an extended drive from your OPC and try and find out which one "suits you the best". FWIW - I reckon either would be fine for you with the mileage you mention.

On the mpg front - when I've test driven the S and 2.0L petrols I've recorded approx 30mpg and after 7500 miles in my SD I've recorded 41mpg (figures taken from trip computer).

Hope that helps + good luck with your choice.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Depreciation - nobody has a crystal ball and who knows what may happen in the future. I am a sort of supply and demand guy and I think the relatively lower numbers of the petrol S will keep the price up compared with the relatively high numbers of diesel S. This is before factoring the growing, albeit misplaced, negative view of diesel engines - particularly unfair on the Euro 6 versions. But negative news seems to be building and the latest from Mercedes won't help the overall sentiment.
To play devil's advocate, there is a potential flaw in your logic. Every year, Porsche sells significantly more Macan SDs than all the petrol variants put together. It is always possible that the lower number of petrol S cars around reflects lack of demand. As you rightly say, nobody has a crystal ball but as an article in this week's Autocar shows, rarity does not always equate with desirability.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel