Hello again

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

After drifting away from the forum after my Macan purchase in 2015, I am once again taking a keen interest! New order in, although necessitated by having the original written off after being rear ended just before lockdown.

Anyway, one point I don't understand is that you can't have winter tyres fitted as originals - you are expected to buy a separate set of wheels and tyres. I've done that in the past but don't want the faff now so decided to have winters all year.

Anyone with any similar experience please?

Thank you

Glyn in North Wales

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Winters all year round could be done but they well wear fast in the hot weather and not perform as well. No manufacturer would sell a car with only winter tyres for the UK but why not take delivery and immediately fit winters. You could then sell the brand new cars your car was supplied with.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Thanks MCDK. I had all weathers on the original car but they are not available due to N rating or something! Do you have a view on any difference in road noise and ride comfort between summer/winter?
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Try All Season tyres.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Ha, yes all season, not all weather as I typed! Apparently, Tall Phil, none are made with the "N" designation so Porsche won't use them.
pmg

Post by pmg »

gbj1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 pm After drifting away from the forum after my Macan purchase in 2015, I am once again taking a keen interest! New order in, although necessitated by having the original written off after being rear ended just before lockdown.

Anyway, one point I don't understand is that you can't have winter tyres fitted as originals - you are expected to buy a separate set of wheels and tyres. I've done that in the past but don't want the faff now so decided to have winters all year.

Anyone with any similar experience please?

Thank you

Glyn in North Wales
The issue with using winter tyres in summer is what it does to braking distances in the dry at summer temps. i.e you could end up being the one doing the rear-ending next time! I would watch these three videos before making a decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtnczk ... x=15&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNuqGUg ... dex=9&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4O3ul ... dex=7&t=0s

On my previous BMW's I found by the time wear rates are taken into account little true extra cost from running separate summer and winter sets. That is due to the increased wear rate from running a tyre out of the season it was designed for. My conclusion allowed for selling the winter alloy wheel sets on when vehicle sold.

I find it unfortunate Porsche as not given N type approval to one of the modern all season tyres meeting snowflake standard ( like Cross Climate) as for someone in the UK wanting to stick to one tyre set throughout the year that is by far the best option. From the tyre reviews, I understand the winter tyre that gives "best summer performance" is the Continental one which by chance Porsche give N approval to and unplanned I ended up with on my Macan through the the hot spring of Covid Lockdown!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
pmg

Post by pmg »

gbj1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:16 pm Ha, yes all season, not all weather as I typed! Apparently, Tall Phil, none are made with the "N" designation so Porsche won't use them.
You may find a non-snowflake but N type-approved all season like Michelin Latitude Tour Hp and Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS still available at some tyre dealers but I understand those who have such tyres fitted are finding that harder as stocks run down. The tyre manufacturers are moving to the more modern snowflake approved Allseasons which many EU countries now require if an all-season tyre is to be used in winter. That requirement is the reason Porsche in Europe stopped supplying those all seasons they previously fitted.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Winter tyres will be noisier. Their individual tread blocks with multi-siping produce more "flick" as the contact patch engages and disengages with the road surface.

In temperatures above 7C winter tyres will wear out quicker than summer tyres.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

I just looked on the Porsche international web site and this is still there.

"All Season Tyres
If you prefer not to change your tyres with the seasons, Porsche-approved all-season tyres offer the perfect compromise between the grip, handling and stability of the best-performing winter and summer tyres."

I could however not find an updated version of the old 2017 document which lists the All season tyres previously with N approval. I have copy but this forum is not letting me add a version as a attachment but after struggle I have managed to post a pic of the macan bit

Porsche Macan N approved all season.png

Last edited by pmg on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Thanks for all the responses - pmg, do I understand correctly that you have the Continental winters on all year, or were they left on as you couldn't get them changed due to lockdown?

I'll have a look at the Intl website thanks.

I can feel the balance tipping towards two sets of wheels and tyres!! Bit annoying as the all weathers brought me to a halt even if the car behind didn't!