Potental buyer looking for a Macan and I have a few questions

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mobile chicane

Post by Mobile chicane »

Hi All

I'm looking to get a 14 to 17 plate V6 derv Macan sometime in the next 3-9 months and I have a few questions.

1: is there a difference in road tax between the 14 and 16 plate models as I know there was a threshold of £40k or above new list price where you had to pay extra car tax for the first 5 years of the cars life, most autotrader ads list the tax as £205 which is fine however I don't want to be unexpectedly stung for more if I buy a newer car.

2: tyre prices, I'm looking at a macan with either 18's or 19's what's the ball park figure that I'd be paying per corner for decent rubber ?

3: I'm looking at quite a large range of cars with my budget of £30k (absolute max including my 2015 golf R as a trade in est value of that is £16k ish) the mileages range from 30 k to 90 k is there some kind of big service on the 3L V6 diesel and if so what mileage / age is it due ?

4: are the fully adjustable seats noticeably better for comfort than the base ones ?

5: are the sun roofs known for having issues with leaking / failing ?

Ta

Giles

Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

1. Yes, ones before1st April 2017 have a lower road tax.
2. I have 21" and they are about £220 per side (not at a dealer) yours will be less than this.
3. All servicing is expensive. Big one is 4 years and 40K miles when transmission needs a service too (circa £1200)
4. I have base ones and they are fine but try for yourself.
5. Sunroofs are known to have some issues including blocked drainage tubes. I avoided the sunroof.
Last edited by Ti Rich on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Mobile chicane

Post by Mobile chicane »

aces cheers Rich
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get quite a range of answers to your questions. Mostly opinions are based on owners personal choices/experience.

1. The new "luxury" tax came in on 1st April 2017 so any car registered before that date will follow the rules that applied when it was registered. £205 for a pre April 2017 SD is correct.

2. I've never bought 18" or 19" tyres but paid more than £220 a corner for 20" Michelins.

3. All Porsche servicing is based around 2yr intervals (regardless of engine) and, as Ti Rich has said, the major service is at four years, The PDK transmission needs an oil change at six years or 40k miles. More important when buying a second hand Macan is whether or not the transfer box has been changed. Failure of this item is a known issue.

4. The 14 way and 18 way seats have adjustments that cater for most people and are better at holding you in corners. If you have any sort of back problem then go for either of these options, otherwise try the base seats and see how you get on. I've only ever had 18 way seats so can't comment on the others.

5. I had my SD for five years and apart from the odd night in covered car parks it spent the whole of its life outdoors. I never had any problems with the sunroof. There have been occasional problems reported on this forum but most people who have sunroofs on their Macan think they're great.

Good luck with your search.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Mobile chicane

Post by Mobile chicane »

Ok guys more questions and thanks to those who have answered my original ones.

Is the air suspension standard or an option and if it is an option does it fail and if so could it be expensive (£1k +)

are the wheels interchangeable e.g I'd ideally like the 19 inch wheels but would happily buy a macan with smaller or larger wheels then get and fit the 19s, i'm thinking brake caliper sizes on the 3l derv S, I'm assuming they are all the same.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Air suspension is an option. As is PASM which is Porsche Active suspension and I really recommend.

Wheels are interchangeable. I have 21" on my derv.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.