(Hopefully) Soon to be a Macan owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
dagegen

Post by dagegen »

Hello,

After long years of Mercedes C class and Bmw 3 series ownership I need a bit of extra space but do not really like the “SUV” driving feel. After doing some reading and research I have decided to treat myself and am currently looking for Gen ii Macan.

Are there any specific options I should be looking for? Is the S model a must or people are also satisfied with the 2.0 engine? I am not planning on going racing, but 245bhp does not sound a lot for a 1.9t car.

My last question is on emissions. Do you guys think it is worth waiting for a bit longer and getting a MY21 car that is already RDE2 certified i.e. 70 plate.

I am really hopeful I will join the club at some point next year.

Hope everyone is staying safe!

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Welcome to the forum. See below one of the many threads about desirable (or otherwise) options.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8441&p=175367&hili ... ns#p175367

Happy reading.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
robbie

Post by robbie »

Hi Dagegen, I moved from owning many Mercedes C Class's (All C220 Diesels) to a Gen II 2.0 Macan a couple of years ago, I find the performance of the 2.0 engine just fine, albeit have not driven an S yet! The main difference for me has been the vast improvement in comfort the Macan offers, have the 14 way seats with PASM on 19" wheels and this combo works wonders for my olde knackered back!!
As 'On-Track' has just mentioned there are many posts on the forum regards to the best options to have :)
Good luck with your search next year and welcome to our friendly forum where members will certainly help you spend your hard earned cash if you ask nicely :lol:
Robbie
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Just to follow on from Robbie’s experience, I too went for a 2.0 Macan. This was coming from an f pace 2.0 300 sport and numerous 2L diesels before then.
The Macan on paper is slower but in reality doesn’t feel it. It not only sounds better than the f pace but drives in a completely different league in terms of handling. Not only that, the finish of the interior feels a considerable step up.

It does depend on what you are used to and there are a few that will refuse to accept a 2L is a proper Porsche. Personally I don’t find mine underpowered , particularly for 99% of my driving which is local with 30-40mph speed limits.

It does help that I managed to get a very well specd example, prob some of which some people wouldn’t be too fussed about depending on who you speak to... (air, 21s, power steering plus, surround cam, and adaptive cruise) all seem to get mixed opinions with any negativity coming from those that either haven’t experienced them or didn’t spec on theirs.

I’ve always said though, I am a car guy and if money was no object then I would have opted for a GTS or Turbo. Fact of the matter is at the moment it doesn’t work for me and more importantly I don’t regret it.

That said, very knowledgeable and friendly bunch on here and you should find numerous threads for most questions you might have.
dagegen

Post by dagegen »

Thank you for all the responses folks!

I do find the options list an absolute minefield. I definitely get the impression PASM is a must as the predominant feedback is that it totally transforms how the car feels. Other than that I am not too fussed about anything. I guess the surround cameras will be good as I'd hate to kerb a wheel, but that's about it. Does the sport chrono package add driving modes that are not otherwise available (in addition to the stopwatch)?

I am waiting for my local dealer to come back to me with a time-slot for a test-drive. I will ask to try both the 2L and S versions, and I am happy to hear you guys seem to be quite satisfied with your 2Ls.

The dealer did indicate waiting times for a 2L order now stretch all the way into April next year, hence why I am also open to buying a slightly used car. It does strike me that, unlike other brands, Porsches suffer from little or no depreciation. My 3 series was literally going for 50% of what I paid for it 18 months in, while I now stumble into 1yr Macan's that seem to be going for list price.
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

dagegen wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:59 pm Thank you for all the responses folks!

I do find the options list an absolute minefield. I definitely get the impression PASM is a must as the predominant feedback is that it totally transforms how the car feels. Other than that I am not too fussed about anything. I guess the surround cameras will be good as I'd hate to kerb a wheel, but that's about it. Does the sport chrono package add driving modes that are not otherwise available (in addition to the stopwatch)?

I am waiting for my local dealer to come back to me with a time-slot for a test-drive. I will ask to try both the 2L and S versions, and I am happy to hear you guys seem to be quite satisfied with your 2Ls.

The dealer did indicate waiting times for a 2L order now stretch all the way into April next year, hence why I am also open to buying a slightly used car. It does strike me that, unlike other brands, Porsches suffer from little or no depreciation. My 3 series was literally going for 50% of what I paid for it 18 months in, while I now stumble into 1yr Macan's that seem to be going for list price.
Yes PASM is a popular option; I also particularly rate Surround View and Adaptive Cruise - but there are as many different opinions as there are options.

It’s good that you are testing 2 vs 3 litre. I’ve owned both, and while I think the 2l is fine, the 3 litre represents a decent power upgrade for relatively little cost.

In terms of depreciation, Porsches do hold value relatively well, partly because there is little/no dealer discounting. But be careful when you see 1yr old Macans going “for list price” - options of course can make a big difference - and the price OPCs sell them at are generally well above what one could achieve as a seller.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman