N RATED WINTER TYRES

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

i would say it's more important to ensure the correct speed rating is achieved as this won't pass an MOT if not, thus making the car un usable on the road.

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Tracky wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:23 am Whilst that would be as an absolute’by the book’ answer I very much doubt an insurance assessor would go in to that much detail if they went to assess a car, particularly when the main aim was to make the car safer in such conditions.
You should never make any changes to the original spec of your car without notifying your insurer. The only exceptions are approved accessories and tyres recommended by the OEM.

There's a good link here :

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-iss ... ter-tyres/

The linked PDF gives guides to numerous insurers. The key takes away is "provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions." - the manufacturers instructions are N rated tyres.

I know I'm hyper-sensitive to this as I know a guy who was involved in a fatal accident and fingers were pointed at undeclared mods on his car. He went to prison in the end.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

gasgas1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:53 am i would say it's more important to ensure the correct speed rating is achieved as this won't pass an MOT if not, thus making the car un usable on the road.
If you fit officially recommend wheels/tyres with a lower speed rating, this will pass the MOT. Just needs to be on the official Porsche list.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Fair enough to your points Jaffa - it’s only complicated because Porsche have their N codes that very few other manufacturers do so jo bloggs in their seat Ibiza can in theory can fit whatever size fits subject to speed rating.

I did have a similar dilemma with the lotus in that track goers defaulted to using an Avon tyre which was not a lot more than a cut slick but was road legal and similar to the Yokohama that everybody loved (in the dry, dangerous in the wet ) on the previous exige. Then suddenly they started stamping for track use only on the side and didn’t have the gradings that tyres and your freezer have. It did have approval but I just wasn’t prepared to risk it on the road even though I tend to only use it to/from the track these days.

My point being that the tyres on the lotus would made you look. Whether an insurance assessor would go in to the detail to check an N rating for a Porsche or not who knows but he would have course have right too. The ironic thing is that the user of course is trying to make their car safer in poor conditions !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

If you can stretch to it then grab a set of 20” RS Spyders off eBay, there’s a few good winter tyres with N rating available for them. The trouble is you’ll then want to run 20’s all year round, the difference really is that noticeable between them and 21’s.