N RATED WINTER TYRES

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Carpetvin

Post by Carpetvin »

I hope someone can help me.
I've just bought a Macan s Diesel 2016. with 21 inch alloys
i want to buy some winter tyres for the 21's but cannot find any N rated
Does anyone know if there are any available
Can you run the car on non N rated tyres and if so would there be any warranty issues or Insurance issues.
Thanks in advance.

pmg

Post by pmg »

My understanding there are No 21inch winters with N approval

There is a logic to this. For best grip in winter conditions of loose snow the narrower the tyre and higher the profile the better. Just look what the winning SAAB 96 rally teams of yesteryear used to put on their cars. Hence personally for a winter wheelset for Macan, I would only consider the narrower 18 and 19 sets and personally have an 18 set. On dark winter nights and mornings, I think looks are the least of priorities.
Last edited by pmg on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I very much doubt there will be insurance issues as long as the tyres you fit have the correct speed and load rating.

Presumably, you have an extended warranty from Porsche as the car is beyond the three year OEM warranty. Unless your claim related to wheel or suspension components there probably wouldn't be an issue.

Just a thought, Porsche don't recommend all season or winter tyres for 21" wheels on any Macan model. Given all the testing they will have done, there must be a reason.

The sidewall on 21" tyres, being short, will be fairly stiff. There must be a risk in taking them on and off the wheel centres twice a year that either tyre or wheel will be damaged. At various times, you will see 18" or 19" wheel sets with winter tyres advertised on the forum at less than the cost of a set of tyres for 21" wheels. That option might be worth considering.

When you're in the car you can't see what the wheels look like and on days like today you struggle to see what they look like from outside the car as well.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Carpetvin

Post by Carpetvin »

Thanks for your replies. Make a lot of sense
I’m fast coming to the conclusion that 19 inch wheels with winter tyres are the way to go.
eBay here I come
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Not relevant to the OP but worth pointing out that the smaller wheels won't fit on the faster Macans.

An 18" rim simply won't fit over the brake discs on our car.

It's frustrating that Porsche don't certify any 21" winter tyres.

From an insurance perspective, most winter tyres have a lower speed rating. Ordinarily fitting the wrong speed rating to your car will invalidate insurance. There is an exception for winter tyres though, as long as you're going with the winter tyres recommended by the car manufacturer.

Porsche ONLY recommend N rated tyres - so if you fit a winter tyre that isn't N rated, then you are quite likely invalidating your insurance as it is NOT a tyre recommended by your car's manufacturer.

We don't want to compromise the aesthetics of our car by fitting a cheap rim to it. Therefore we can't use winter tyres. Hence, very frustrating.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Putting a tyre on without an n rating will not invalidate your insurance. As long as it matches the speed and load rating you will be fine. There are dozens of tyre brands an the oem’s are not going to spend time checking and recommending them. And if it invalidated your insurance then millions of cars are driving with no insurance.
pmg

Post by pmg »

jaffacake wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:03 pm

We don't want to compromise the aesthetics of our car by fitting a cheap rim to it. Therefore we can't use winter tyres. Hence, very frustrating.
Surely there is a not cheap Porsche 19 or 20 inch wheel design which would not ruin the aesthetics. From below seems to a choice of four

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pa ... s%C3%A4tze
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

111rdw wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:33 pm Putting a tyre on without an n rating will not invalidate your insurance. As long as it matches the speed and load rating you will be fine. There are dozens of tyre brands an the oem’s are not going to spend time checking and recommending them. And if it invalidated your insurance then millions of cars are driving with no insurance.
That's the point, they don't match the speed rating. If they don't, the insurers are only happy if you go with manufacturer's recommend winter tyres. For Porsche, that's always N rated.

To be clear:

1) Fit any tyres you like, as long as they match OEM speed/load rating
2) Fitting non N rated tyres may invalidate your extended warranty.
3) Winter tyres typically do not match OEM speed/load rating - I only know of Vredestein that do.
4) Fitting Vredestein is not N rated, so may invalidate your warranty.
5) Fitting any other won't match the OEM speed/load rating - invalidating your insurance.
6) If N rated winter tyre you'll have both insurance and warranty.

Always check with your insurer before fitting winter tyres. If they are not OEM spec, in this case N rated, they have every right to invalidate your insurance.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi.
If you do have any issues with insurance for winter tyres or wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

jaffacake wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:20 pm
111rdw wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:33 pm Putting a tyre on without an n rating will not invalidate your insurance. As long as it matches the speed and load rating you will be fine. There are dozens of tyre brands an the oem’s are not going to spend time checking and recommending them. And if it invalidated your insurance then millions of cars are driving with no insurance.
That's the point, they don't match the speed rating. If they don't, the insurers are only happy if you go with manufacturer's recommend winter tyres. For Porsche, that's always N rated.

To be clear:

1) Fit any tyres you like, as long as they match OEM speed/load rating
2) Fitting non N rated tyres may invalidate your extended warranty.
3) Winter tyres typically do not match OEM speed/load rating - I only know of Vredestein that do.
4) Fitting Vredestein is not N rated, so may invalidate your warranty.
5) Fitting any other won't match the OEM speed/load rating - invalidating your insurance.
6) If N rated winter tyre you'll have both insurance and warranty.

Always check with your insurer before fitting winter tyres. If they are not OEM spec, in this case N rated, they have every right to invalidate your insurance.
Whilst that would be as an absolute’by the book’ answer I very much doubt an insurance assessor would go in to that much detail if they went to assess a car, particularly when the main aim was to make the car safer in such conditions.

I also share the opinion above of not wanting to take tyres on and off a set of wheels what could be multiple times

I’ve never run winter tyres on any of my cars including high performance 4 wheel drive cars with 20”+ wheels (RS4/AMG e class etc) and never had an issue although fully appreciate the benefits of winter tyres
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S