Hi everyone - I’m a new owner!👍🏼

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

pmg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:09 pm

My ACC is always on even if not set so the Macan has Automatic Emergency Braking
Are you sure that ACC has to be on to activate AEB? My reason for asking is I got the audible and visual warning recently even though the system is turned off. I actually disagreed with the car on the extent of the emergency as I had already seen "the hazard" and made adjustments accordingly.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:16 pm

My ACC is always on even if not set so the Macan has Automatic Emergency Braking
Are you sure that ACC has to be on to activate AEB? My reason for asking is I got the audible and visual warning recently even though the system is turned off. I actually disagreed with the car on the extent of the emergency as I had already seen "the hazard" and made adjustments accordingly.
Yes that is what the manual, spec etc says. Also because if AEB had been on you would have had the braking as well the key word being "automatic"; you just had a collision warning.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I'll have to try leaving ACC on when I'm next in the car. Mind you with Covid 19 meaning long times between drives I'll probably forgotten my then. :?
Peter

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

pmg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Yes that is what the manual, spec etc says. Also because if AEB had been on you would have had the braking as well the key word being "automatic"; you just had a collision warning.
My understanding is that the AEB function is provided by PAS - that’s both the warnings and also ultimately applying the brakes - irrespective of the status of ACC.

Of course, you only get PAS with the ACC option, and PAS must be switched on in vehicle settings.

For me ACC is a must have, both for the PAS safety aspects, and the sheer convenience of the automatic speed control / vehicle spacing, which I use in all sorts of conditions, including traffic sometimes.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

As with many others above, I love ACC and would be without it.

My first experience of ACC was in my Lexus GS-430 in 2005, I loved it but it had its limitations. Main limitation was that it wouldn't operate below 20mph which meant you had to keep taking over when in traffic.

Fast forward to Macan and the systems have improved massively, specific improvement is that the Macan will operate at any speed and even take you down to a complete stop - engaging Hold. You can't set it below 20mph but it will go below and back up should the car in front me going slower.

Distance to car in front can be varied for comfort but sadly you can't change the default - I typically want it to go a bit closer to stop other traffic diving in the gap and forcing the car to brake to maintain distance.

It's no substitute for observant driving, it can only see one, not two cars ahead, but it is a superb support tool. The first time it brakes for you when you're looking down at the PCM is the day you'll be hooked.

I use both ACC and LKA on pretty much every journey.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
goldbarn

Post by goldbarn »

Thanks for the comments everyone - I will give the ACC further testing
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

I have the same experience as you so I don’t think ACC needs to be switched on even if not set. Maybe a couple of times as I have approached a car that has just pulled out or brakes heavily the my car has beeped (similar tone to parking sensors) and a front view camera has appeared (I have surround view). Both times I had already started braking so didn’t notice any emergency braking intervention but assume the beeping is the warning before the car applies brakes itself.

I’m glad I have it, and happy with ACC too but the AEB should certainly be standard on a car this expensive. My last few cars had it and neither had adaptive cruise control.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

No car I have had with ACC needed it to be activated for the AEB to work.

My 992 has AEB but no ACC so they don’t need to come together

Shame it wasn’t in Macan but it isn’t a reason to order ACC for me
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Makanik wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm
My understanding is that the AEB function is provided by PAS - that’s both the warnings and also ultimately applying the brakes - irrespective of the status of ACC.

Of course, you only get PAS with the ACC option, and PAS must be switched on in vehicle settings.

For me ACC is a must have, both for the PAS safety aspects, and the sheer convenience of the automatic speed control / vehicle spacing, which I use in all sorts of conditions, including traffic sometimes.
After reading your text, I looked this up in the "Good toknow" app (which is getting close to RTFM :D ) and you're right, it's PAS that provides the emergency braking. If you turn it off, there's a permanent warning symbol in the MFD so it's clearly on by default regardless of whether ACC is on or not. As you say, PAS is only fitted as part of the ACC option.
Peter

Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

Congrats ... Enjoy 👍
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather