Hi everyone - I’m a new owner!👍🏼

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
goldbarn

Post by goldbarn »

I took delivery of my Macan S on 23rd Nov & have been very pleased with it.

However I’m not happy with the removal of the speed limiter function when the ACC option was added. This is not mentioned when specifying. When I queried this it appears that Porsche feel that the ACC function can replace it! Have you ever tried driving through busy traffic using ACC, it’s not possible (or safe!)

If I had known (or been informed) I would not have specified the ACC.

Mmmm, great car - I can see plenty of speeding tickets in the future though 😬

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Welcome to the forum....like you, I’ve recently bought a Macan S, though mine is a used 2020 model, and hasn’t got the ACC option.....and I’m still getting to grips with the PCM operation!

What colour and spec is your ‘S’?
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
goldbarn

Post by goldbarn »

It’s Volcanic Grey , pano roof, air suspension, ACC😕, Bose sound PDLS+ . Yes PCM got quite a few options to go through 😄 like a lot of these systems, not the easiest to navigate while driving!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Why would you want ACC for driving through heavy traffic? Driver assistance systems have their place certainly, but aren’t there times when human concentration and vehicle control would be safer? Mind you, having seen car crash videos the other night on the telly it beggars belief at the sheer stupidity of some drivers. Clearly cases where autonomous control would have been preferable. Or taking their licence off them.........
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
goldbarn

Post by goldbarn »

I agree, ACC is not suitable for traffic, heavy or otherwise while a speed limiter is very useful.

I took the ACC option for use on motorways & long distance driving on the continent never intending to use it for anything else.

Ah well you live & learn
pmg

Post by pmg »

goldbarn wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:29 pm I took delivery of my Macan S on 23rd Nov & have been very pleased with it.

However I’m not happy with the removal of the speed limiter function when the ACC option was added. This is not mentioned when specifying. When I queried this it appears that Porsche feel that the ACC function can replace it! Have you ever tried driving through busy traffic using ACC, it’s not possible (or safe!)

I find with ACC a lot depends on the minimum distance you set. I was surprised the car allows the 2 shorter settings which are less than "the 2 second test"

Have you tried the Macan system in heavy traffic or is your comment based on another car, possibly one with earlier development. Like most aids eg automatic lights, ACC systems have improved above the years.

Having had my Macan S with ACC and Traffic Jam Assist now for 21 months I am happy with using ACC even off motorway/duel carriageway in urban roads as speed limiter and would agree with Porsche view as to replacing speed limiter. It frees up the mind giving greater ability to concentrate on and spot hazards and speed limit changes. Overriding ACC to allow and restoring is so easy if something in the surroundings requires it. I agree ACC set without the driver being alert is risky. However, ACC with driver fully concentrating on the traffic and road situation is the safest combination. You can drive by stalk with the right foot poised above the brake peddle rather than on the accelrerator

My ACC is always on even if not set so the Macan has Automatic Emergency Braking
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

goldbarn wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:29 pm I took delivery of my Macan S on 23rd Nov & have been very pleased with it.

Welcome :D :D :D

I've only had the one speeding ticket (so far :shock: :shock: ) .....with my Macan.....didn't realise I was doing 90 :oops: :oops: :oops:
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Agree AEB is an important safety feature. I’ve only used ACC in demo cars and didn’t like it as I found it removed the longer distance planning and flow that I find helps keep me focussed, but I haven’t tried it over longer periods so perhaps I’m missing some of the benefits. I do find cruise quite useful in longer stretches of any speed limit sometimes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:09 pm Agree AEB is an important safety feature. I’ve only used ACC in demo cars and didn’t like it as I found it removed the longer distance planning and flow that I find helps keep me focussed, but I haven’t tried it over longer periods so perhaps I’m missing some of the benefits. I do find cruise quite useful in longer stretches of any speed limit sometimes.
I had a similar attitude and was not going to order it for the Macan. but as I finalised the spec I saw the advantage of AEB and hence added ACC. I was beginning to find simpler cruise control of little value apart from the speed limit aspects and had become a "stalk/ button" driver when using it on my last BMW. ACC solved the issues I was having with straight. I found its something you have got to use for a period to develop a best driving control style but having done so would I not be without it. in a traffic queue to is so useful and relieves the tedium. In fact, if Porsche does not bring it back to new Macans it would dissuade me from upgrading to a GTS when my S reaches its 3rd birthday
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

goldbarn wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:29 pm Have you ever tried driving through busy traffic using ACC, it’s not possible (or safe!)

I’d be interested in why you think use of ACC in traffic is not possible or safe?

Glad you are otherwise enjoying your Macan!
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman