Newbie considering a Macan and have a few questions

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Hi,

I'm considering my first Porsche after being a long term BMW owner and would appreciate some advice please if that's OK?

Firstly, I'm struggling to get my head around some of the spec. One of the things I like with my current X5 is the ability to pre-heat my car via a phone app and I believe that you can do the same with the Macan. However, I'm not sure what extras the car needs to have to be compatible with the app? I've seen a Macan that I'm interested in but the dealership said that it didn't have the ability to use the pre-heat function, however when I've looked at the spec it says the car has Porsche Connect Plus, which is that I thought it needed to work? So what I'd like to know is what the car needs to have for the app to work with it, and secondly what exactly is Porsche Connect and Porsche connect plus.

This same car doesn't have heated seats, is this something that can be retrofitted and if so does anyone know the ballpark figure? I know you can have third party heated seats done for around £350 but I'm not sure this is wise?

Over the years I've managed to haggle quite aggressively with BMW, getting hefty discounts and favourable APR's with PCP, is this possible with Porsche? They've had the car I've seen for over 2 months, is this considered a long time and therefore more likely to get a good deal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Toby

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Hi and welcome.

The Macan doesn't have a pre-heat option, you can get this in a Cayenne though.

I believe retrofitting heated seats is possible but quite expensive as the wiring loom also needs to be fitted and of course coded to the car. It might be cheaper to find another example if that option is a must have. If it was me I wouldn't bother with 3rd party stuff unless you have absolute faith in the kit and the fitter not butchering your car.

There's a reason Porsche generally don't discount, they don't have too. If you don't buy there is invariably a queue behind you that will. Having said that discounts aren't unheard of and if a car has been sitting around for a while you might get a grand or 2 off but check the reason it's not sold is because of poverty spec as they'll get more than you saved back when you come to sell. The benefit of little or no discounts is better than average retained value. As for PCP rates I believe that Porsche are generally more expensive than others, for the same reasons mentioned above so it might be worth shopping around to get a better rate.

Good luck with you search.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Miopyk wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 am Hi and welcome.

The Macan doesn't have a pre-heat option, you can get this in a Cayenne though.

I believe retrofitting heated seats is possible but quite expensive as the wiring loom also needs to be fitted and of course coded to the car. It might be cheaper to find another example if that option is a must have. If it was me I wouldn't bother with 3rd party stuff unless you have absolute faith in the kit and the fitter not butchering your car.

There's a reason Porsche generally don't discount, they don't have too. If you don't buy there is invariably a queue behind you that will. Having said that discounts aren't unheard of and if a car has been sitting around for a while you might get a grand or 2 off but check the reason it's not sold is because of poverty spec as they'll get more than you saved back when you come to sell. The benefit of little or no discounts is better than average retained value. As for PCP rates I believe that Porsche are generally more expensive than others, for the same reasons mentioned above so it might be worth shopping around to get a better rate.

Good luck with you search.
Thanks very much, I've been given some duff info by the dealership then as I was advised that Macans could be pre=heated via the app. The macan I'm looking at is a bit poverty spec in terms of extras, however it's the Turbo so has many of the features I want as standard.

What do you mean by they'll get more than I saved when they get the car back? With the PCP there's a GFV so worst case scenario I can just hand the keys back and walk away at the end can't I?
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome, answers to your questions all as Miopyk stated. Spec and options are the most influencing elements, ensure you know what you want as retrofitting, even if available is prohibitively expensive. What age/spec/price are you looking at?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

As Miopyk has said, the auxiliary heater is not a Macan option.

Various manufacturers handle pre-heating in different ways. I know that Jaguar did it with remote start. The Porsche approach for the Cayenne was to fit a Webasto fuel driven heater. However that was in the second generation cars, I don't know how they handle it for third generation Cayennes. A friend has it in his Cayenne diesel but he travels to Austria a lot. I think it's a fairly rare option so you might have to order a new Cayenne if it's important to you.

It looks as if you're looking at second hand Macans. It's fairly rare to find one without heated front seats so I'd suggest looking further is a better option than attempting to have heated seats retrofitted.

Porsche Connect and Porsche Connect Plus. Connect covers remote access to the car for status and fuel consumption checks. If specified it also covers the Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (actually operated by Vodaphone). Connect Plus covers navigation and web access. Porsche are not necessarily the best in this area. The cars are great though.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

MikeM wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:50 am Welcome, answers to your questions all as Miopyk stated. Spec and options are the most influencing elements, ensure you know what you want as retrofitting, even if available is prohibitively expensive. What age/spec/price are you looking at?
On-Track wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:01 am As Miopyk has said, the auxiliary heater is not a Macan option.

Various manufacturers handle pre-heating in different ways. I know that Jaguar did it with remote start. The Porsche approach for the Cayenne was to fit a Webasto fuel driven heater. However that was in the second generation cars, I don't know how they handle it for third generation Cayennes. A friend has it in his Cayenne diesel but he travels to Austria a lot. I think it's a fairly rare option so you might have to order a new Cayenne if it's important to you.

It looks as if you're looking at second hand Macans. It's fairly rare to find one without heated front seats so I'd suggest looking further is a better option than attempting to have heated seats retrofitted.

Porsche Connect and Porsche Connect Plus. Connect covers remote access to the car for status and fuel consumption checks. If specified it also covers the Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (actually operated by Vodaphone). Connect Plus covers navigation and web access. Porsche are not necessarily the best in this area. The cars are great though.
Thanks guys. Age wise I'd prefer 2018 or newer so that I get RTTI. Model wise I want petrol, but can be either the S, GTS or Turbo. Preferable Spec is 20" spyder or 21" wheels, PASM, heated seats, BOSE system or better, 14 way adjustable seats with memory, and was hoping for car pre-heating (it gets cold up north ;)). I'm sure there's some other lovely spec but they'd just be icing on the cake for me, unless I'm missing an obvious "Must Have" feature?

Out of interest how roomy are the Macan's driving position? I'm 6'4" so need plenty of room, and obviously with the current climate you can't just turn up and sit in a few cars to try them out.

Also, I'm really disappointed with the customer service I'm getting from the couple of dealers near me. Initially the one with the car I've been discussing were good but as soon as I mentioned I was put off by the lack of heated seats they've been really poor, in fact not responding to further emails. I've enquired about a couple of other cars and whilst they were very much a stretch and unlikely to get the figures where I needed to be (although I have had deals like them before with BMW) I think it's poor that they just ignore me altogether. A polite "it's more likely for hell to freeze over" response would have been better than no response at all :lol:
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

@snerkler, I have a 2017 petrol S and I am Also 6’4”, my car has 21” wheels, air suspension, PASM, heated 14 way comfort memory seats, cameras front & rear with surround view, PDLS plus headlights, power steering plus, auto dimming mirrors, & light comfort package, plus pano roof etc.

I find the seats very good exceptionally comfortable and with the memory package good to save the settings etc, @ my size tall but not large build! In my opinion the air with PASM & 21” wheels makes the ride good, @ the moment car is on 18” winters, & they are deffo softer ride, but with the PASM & sport settings you can stiffen it up. Heated seats & wheel I find very useful on cold mornings as I have full leather as well.

I test drove a 2017 GTS and found the ride ( lowered springs ) too firm & crashy also not a fan of the 18 way sports seats as I found side bolsters obtrusive. I also had a 20 reg GTS loan car for 12 weeks & that had air & 21” wheels, I also found the ride on that firm & crashy , plus the GTS had a bigger thirst! This is my opinion, and I must say there are people on here that do not agree, just my opinion.

I was lucky to find my car s/h with all the extras on it someone had spent approx 18k on it ! With only 9k miles on it. My advice would be keep looking for the right car, & not compromise too much. Happy hunting.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Toddie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 pm @snerkler, I have a 2017 petrol S and I am Also 6’4”, my car has 21” wheels, air suspension, PASM, heated 14 way comfort memory seats, cameras front & rear with surround view, PDLS plus headlights, power steering plus, auto dimming mirrors, & light comfort package, plus pano roof etc.

I find the seats very good exceptionally comfortable and with the memory package good to save the settings etc, @ my size tall but not large build! In my opinion the air with PASM & 21” wheels makes the ride good, @ the moment car is on 18” winters, & they are deffo softer ride, but with the PASM & sport settings you can stiffen it up. Heated seats & wheel I find very useful on cold mornings as I have full leather as well.

I test drove a 2017 GTS and found the ride ( lowered springs ) too firm & crashy also not a fan of the 18 way sports seats as I found side bolsters obtrusive. I also had a 20 reg GTS loan car for 12 weeks & that had air & 21” wheels, I also found the ride on that firm & crashy , plus the GTS had a bigger thirst! This is my opinion, and I must say there are people on here that do not agree, just my opinion.

I was lucky to find my car s/h with all the extras on it someone had spent approx 18k on it ! With only 9k miles on it. My advice would be keep looking for the right car, & not compromise too much. Happy hunting.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the GTS has stiffer suspension so that's good to know, thanks. Is the Turbo stiffer as well?
pmg

Post by pmg »

snerkler wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:02 pm
Toddie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 pm @snerkler, I have a 2017 petrol S and I am Also 6’4”, my car has 21” wheels, air suspension, PASM, heated 14 way comfort memory seats, cameras front & rear with surround view, PDLS plus headlights, power steering plus, auto dimming mirrors, & light comfort package, plus pano roof etc.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the GTS has stiffer suspension so that's good to know, thanks. Is the Turbo stiffer as well?
Turbo has s suspension unless a Gen1 Turbo with Performance pack which got GTS suspension
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

pmg wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Turbo has s suspension unless a Gen1 Turbo with Performance pack which got GTS suspension
Thanks very much