Hello from Manchester

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
LowriderZ4

Post by LowriderZ4 »

I am currently driving a BMW 140i and as a well established pensioner I think my days as a boy racing are coming to an end.
I am thinking of buying a used Macan 3.0d in the spring after lockdown. I have been reading about all the problems with transfer box so with that in mind is it better to pay more by buying from main dealer due to the 2 year warranty?
Advice from owners would be appreciated.

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The Transfer Box is a Macan problem rather than just a diesel problem. A lot of SD owners on this forum have had cars where the transfer box has had to be changed but until the model was withdrawn, there were more SDs than any other Macan variant. It's certainly worth buying from an OPC. Not just for the two year warranty but also, if the transfer box has been changed recently it comes with a longer warranty.

I had an SD for five years and it's a great car. However, if you read various threads on this forum you'll find out it does not take kindly to just being used for local runs. This type of usage tends to result in Diesel Particulate Filter issues.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Hi and welcome. I can from a history of BMW's and got an S D last March. It is no rocket (I had a 435d last) but it drives so nice that I have no regrets at all. The transfer box has just been replaced on mine, it is about a £2k job at a dealer and the 2 year Porsche warranty I got from the dealer covered this. To be honest it was just jerking a little on lock pulling away. I probably could have lived with it. I have 21" wheels with PASAM which is the Porsche active suspension and the ride quality is really good. Far better than a 140i would be. Others will tell you that you need air suspension but I am more than happy without it.

In S D was made up till about 2018 so all generation 1. The infotainment system is quite basic compared to BMW Pro Nav and many things you may expect to be standard are not. I just had the dealer upgrade mine with CARPLAY and that solves a few issues for me. If you have any questions please let me know as I have been through this and know how things compare to what have with BMW.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D

If your days as a boy racer are coming to an end should you not be looking for a Skoda or Volvo perhaps. ;) ;)

Porsche do not make slow non sporty cars.

I believe with Porsche it is better to buy from an OPC.

The diesel is a brilliant machine but if your driving is mainly short journeys you would be better with a petrol.