New member needs advice

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

First Porsche in August - Macan Diesel S - 2016, silver, 20" alloys, spots exhaust and was delighted with it

Been a few issues however - faulty tracker and then strange drive sensations which led to extended period in garage - both front drive shafts replaced.

Having read all about the transfer box asked them to fully check and they said all ok but since then still not happy with it.

Low speed, on partial, full lock getting bumps, judders, wheel slips - not all the time and when car, tyres warmed up seems better - aware could just be ackerman but how to tell?

Car currently in garage again (main dealer) and I've now driven the courtesy car a 70 plate 2.0 and the drive is completely different so surely I can't be wrong - however the garage have said so far they don't think there is any issues.

I'm now thinking could the tyres and pressure improve things - the 2.0 is on Michelins which I read suit the car best - mine on Pirelli - also playing with the pressures could help?

Any advice welcome as I'm assuming I'm going to get a call shortly saying the car is fine...........
2016 S Diesel sold
2016 GTS Silver :)

Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

I just had the transfer box replaced on mine and it was 100% as you describe. Maybe try a different dealer if you don't get any luck.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Put the car in off-road mode and reverse hard on full lock - you’ll soon know if it a transfer box problem.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Thanks for advice.........

I had read about the off road mode check but having checked with Porsche Leeds they dismissed and said yes it will always bounce and skip reversing in off road whether transfer box or not.........

They seem to have tests they are running but not sure what these are or how definitive - this is my concern e.g. it shouldn't just be a feel issue for a technician out for a brief test drive. Also I'm told if the box is on it's way out it can be gradual so not always exhibiting the issue.

Frustrating as the car is fantastic and just want it totally sorted as it should be and as the loaner clearly is......albeit the face lifted model
2016 S Diesel sold
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You shouldn't get the Ackerman effect when driving forwards on 'normal' flat road surfaces at any temperature or any make of tyre. You will more likely feel it when reversing on full lock in cold weather and, yes, Pirelli probably slightly worse than Michelin, assuming summer tyres. It is normal to get the occasional skip or slip on some surfaces or gradients while the traction control system sorts out the best way to distribute power. So adjusting tyre pressures or going to the extreme of swapping to Michelins is only going to make little if any difference. From your description it does sound as if there is something mechanical going on and that could well be the transfer box. How many miles has the car done and did the drive shaft change make any difference?

As has been suggested, if you're not getting satisfaction from Leeds then get a second opinion elsewhere.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Cheers and again really helpful

Car was bought from Leeds but been in and out of Perth for the various issues - I bought it at 34k miles and now done 37k.

The drive shafts replacement made little difference - again it is not there all the time and when car running at higher speeds no issues - only at low speed, partial, full lock and putting power down. Definitely feels like something not right mechanically especially having now driven a 70 plate 2.0 which is smooth and faultless.

See what they say and as advised may need to get into another dealer for 2nd opinion - just feels like the transfer box is something most on this forum have been given replacements with little trouble and Perth seem to be saying it's fine - so perhaps something else.

Great car however and even with the issues don't regret buying and would happily get another! Having spent many years in BMW, wishing I'd done it years ago.
2016 S Diesel sold
Elie1930

Post by Elie1930 »

Update: as expected Perth have now completed thorough tests and checks and concluded no issue with transfer box

Will accept for now and see how it goes.

Perhaps one of the few on here where transfer box seems to be ok!!

For anyone interested the facelift car does seem improved in 2 key areas - the user interface / screen is fantastic and the car drives better with clearly improved suspension although it had no PASM which I personally could not live with.

So strong recommendation would be do NOT go for the 2.0 unless you're not bothered about character and enjoying the car as an overall package - fast but very disappointing. And PASM is a must unless you drive on very smooth roads most of the time.

Just hope there is enough used stock to keep me going for many years to come and avoid having to go electric!
2016 S Diesel sold