GTS

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Malcan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 pm
jaffacake wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Malcan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:05 pm

I managed to resist Porsche Entry and Drive.
Big oversight in my opinion. Will be of way more value than an ioniser and flaky speed limit display.
Still have time to change my mind, but isn’t it a potential additional security vulnerability. If you have to keep the key in a Faraday bag and take it out of the bag to open the door, it’s not much more effort to take an ordinary key out of your pocket and press a button. I wouldn’t want to leave the dummy key in the ignition, it might encourage some toe rag to smash the windows to try to drive away. Of course, it could be taken out and hidden away, but then what is the benefit over using an ordinary key. Or am I missing something?
No increased risk at all on Gen 2 - you can keep the key on the front window ledge for all it matter. No higher risk than a key without Entry and Drive.

I've not heard a single instance of the dummy key causing a break in, total myth.

Benefits are entirely subjective but, once you've had it, I doubt you'd ever go back. Worth it for the "close and lock" button on the tailgate alone - many people report leaving the car unlocked after going in the boot for something.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

MikeM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm “Note: The Comfort Access uses state of the art technology. However, it cannot be completely ruled out that the key´s wireless encryption code is intercepted and used to open or steal the vehicle”
This applies to any remote locking and not just to "Entry & Drive". Key interception has been around since wireless keys were invented, which is why encryption and rolling codes were brought in.
---

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Malcan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:16 pm PS Your car looks stunning.
Thanks, similar spec to your plan - albeit with the 440bhp turbo engine.

Only things I'd change on our new spec if I could...

Fit tow bar from new - cost us £1800 to fit afterwards.
Remove speed limit display - it's wrong, a lot. Can't be relied on at all and I see it as a total waste of money.

We originally planned to spend £40-45k but couldn't find a car of suitable spec that also had entry & drive. It can be disabled, but can't be retrofitted. Ended up spending over £60k, but no regrets really. At the time we were buying, only 12 cars had Entry & Drive and most of them didn't meet our needs at all, quite frustrating.

Also glad we didn't get the "smoker pack". I took advice from somebody else and checked in a showroom car. Phone wouldn't fit in the slot with the lid in place, even when open. The gap is bigger without the lid.

Oh, and get a discount price on accessories while buying and order a boot liner. The low sided one.
---

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I was put off by the apparent risk of Entry & Drive too, but came across this Thatcham review yesterday: https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/sec ... er-rating/ Scroll down to the 2019 results, past the Taycan and 911 😉 maybe next time, closing and locking the boot remotely would be useful, as would opening it without doing so to the whole car, a la Ford, don't suppose E&D does that too perchance?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 pm I was put off by the apparent risk of Entry & Drive too, but came across this Thatcham review yesterday: https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/sec ... er-rating/ Scroll down to the 2019 results, past the Taycan and 911 😉 maybe next time, closing and locking the boot remotely would be useful, as would opening it without doing so to the whole car, a la Ford, don't suppose E&D does that too perchance?
The car is either locked or unlocked, boot will always open the doors.

With Entry & Drive you just walk up and press the wiper button, the boot opens whether the car was locked or not. When you're done you press close and lock, the whole car is locked again - you never need to get your key out, handy if carrying shopping.
---

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Thanks 👍
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP