New Macan S owner! Handling problems

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
ahmasoh

Post by ahmasoh »

Hi there! Recently bought a 15 Macan S. Beautiful car with the beige interior leather, 21inch low profile tyres etc. 50k miles and all porche service history.

One issue I’m finding is that handling can be a bit jumpy at times. I don’t know if it’s the transfer case issue or just heavy steering from bigger wheels but for where I live
(Buckinghamshire roads of 30-50mph), it feels to not cope too well on these roads!

Broadly speaking, the car makes it difficult to do small adjustments on roads and almost fights against me to keep the steering straight. It’s ever so slight, but after 30 minutes of driving in the rain on these country-ish roads, it can be quite frustrating.

Has anyone had a transfer case problem or anything similar? I see this is a some-what common topic. Maybe power steering would help?

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome Ahmasoh,
What is the tyre wear condition, is it even or otherwise? You should first get a wheel alignment check, it may well be out of line ( potholes are the biggest culprits) Try ATS app £70 for four wheel alignment or Halfords.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ahmasoh

Post by ahmasoh »

Hi there,

It has an advisory on the front wheels, so maybe that needs to be fixed soon.

Thanks for the wheel alignment shout, will check it out!
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Is the Lane assist permanently on???
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
ahmasoh

Post by ahmasoh »

No, it's not on. I turned it off because I felt it interfered too much. I turned it off by hitting the button on the main console (above the automatic start button, where all the buttons are) - not sure if there's anything else I need to check??
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Two things.

PASM - is it fitted?

If it is not then the ride and handling is what it is. Personally A Macan without PASM is only fit for the school run and shopping, on the open road the ride is very poor, harsh and twitchy, affected by every road imperfection, especially if 21” wheels are fitted

PS+, power steering, it may not be fitted. The PS+ system is software and it lightens the load on the wheel at parking speeds, progressively reducing the assistance until at road going speeds there is no difference.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ahmasoh

Post by ahmasoh »

So I just went out for another spin and I noticed that in comfort mode, with PASM, it was a bit more fight-y than with it on Sports Plus mode? Is that expected? I don't have Power steering, but I am considering it! I do a fair bit of driving in and around London, so not sure if it's worth it...
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It also depends upon what you are used to.

A Beamer on M suspension or Audi Sports will be a much harder ride than a Macan with its active suspension.

A Macan is an SUV not a sports saloon, yes its class leading for handling and ride but do remember it was designed on the old Audi Q5 floorplan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

if you drive a lot in the city, would suggest power steering a must, as it only works up to 30mph and makes the wheels so light
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Pedant mode on: All Macans have power steering. The added assistance at low speeds is provided by Power Steering Plus. Pedant mode off.

Given the OP's early comments, it's highly likely that the cause of the problem is wheel misalignment.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel