ECUs failing

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tigger28

Post by Tigger28 »

hi everyone

I have been given the runaround by Porsche UK and the local dealer.

Mid April the car stopped suddenly, I wasn't driving but the husband assures me that no warning lights came on.

I called Porsche Assist, now the AA, and they attended.
Porsche Assist inform me that my cover has expired but quickly offer to retro renew it to get the car off the highway.

The car drove itself home with a new battery connected but the tech said he'd tried to jump start the car three times without success and eventually put the new battery on to get it home.
I called local Porsche dealer to discuss warranties, I had erased 2020 from my memory but the additional 2 year warranty had just expired in March.
They said let's look at the car and see what's wrong with it, so I got it trailered to them, they inferred they'd do as much as they could under special conditions despite the warranty expiring the month previously.

sorry this is a bit long ..

They eventually call me and say they can't access any diagnostics on the car because the main ECU has failed and to get any information on why the car stopped they will have to fit a new one at a cost of £1000.
As you can imagine I wasn't overly impressed by this.
I asked if it would have been covered under a warranty and was told yes, unless it had been jump started.

They waited for me to agree the £1000 before doing anything else, I made a few calls, got in touch with Porsche UK etc. who offered to offset cost but I eventually agreed.

The AA had said alternator and battery as the cause of the suicidally sudden stoppage. Which seemed reasonable, although not sure why they then tried to jump start it.

Local dealer then calls back and says another ECU has failed, the air con control and that will need to be replaced at a cost of £900.

To placate me they tell me that if I put a new warranty on the car, if it happens again, they will fix it.
I point out that IF it happens again, in the middle lane of the M1, I won't be around to have further conversations about getting it fixed.

I now have the car back, having paid £888 for a new 1 year warranty with 111 point check and over £1000 for 'repairs'.

I am seriously annoyed at the local dealer for not reminding me to renew the warranty, the AA for potentially causing 2 ECU failures by jump starting the car and Porsche UK for not stepping in to retrieve the car and actually assess the faults / failures.

I originally purchased the car from Porsche Reading but was told servicing and warranty updates could take place with any dealer.
That should have come with a proviso that tells you that's all fine and dandy unless there's a problem, at which point a lot of buck passing happens.

Anyone else suffered electrical failures after a year of minimal mileage ?

Anyone know with whom the buck stops at Porsche UK????

thanks
Tigger

Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Just so we can put a picture in our minds - what model/year is it?

And secondly, I'm getting rather perturbed with the seemingly rapidly growing incidences of Macan issues on here. I'm test driving a G3 S on Friday. I don't feel that inclined to be putting a deposit down on a 2022 car that hasn't got Android Auto for starters, let alone all the other irritations it could bring.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

You know this is just under a year ago?
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Rarecolour wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 pm You know this is just under a year ago?
Good spot :oops:
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Sounds like the jump start operator connected the negative on the Macan to the power source, before putting the positive lead on?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Maybe off topic slightly, but my car is new, very little mileage to date. Think a neighbour will ask if they can jump start their car off mine.

I’ve no idea about such things and would be reliant on them to know what is needed to be done. My mum has said that I shouldn’t do it on the new car, as I’ve done limited mileage, then remembered some issue around jumpstarting/warranties.

Is there something I should / shouldn’t do? I don’t want to mess up the car obviously… But hopefully it’s not a dumb question… thanks
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

My advice would be No. There’s all sorts of circuitry involved here and it’s too risky.
Macan S MY 2023
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Thanks Skyway - much appreciated! Mum was worried too. Is there anything sensible I can say to them? Like the OPC said not to, other members had their warranty cancelled as the jumpstart interfered with circuit type things, or too little miles - the latter wouldn’t be best, because it won’t be the last time I’m asked by them…

I’ll be mortified saying ‘no’, you’d often see people helping with that kind of thing. Is it because all cars are different??
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 pm Thanks Skyway - much appreciated! Mum was worried too. Is there anything sensible I can say to them? Like the OPC said not to, other members had their warranty cancelled as the jumpstart interfered with circuit type things, or too little miles - the latter wouldn’t be best, because it won’t be the last time I’m asked by them…

I’ll be mortified saying ‘no’, you’d often see people helping with that kind of thing. Is it because all cars are different??
Buy one of these and let them hire it from you.
You might also find it useful one day

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... =undefined
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

It’s your car. Do your neighbours expect you to be their personal roadside assistance. They can either buy a battery charger from Halfords or call the AA ;)

I’m sure it’s possible with care and attention, but I’d just tell them you’ve been advised not to give or receive charging unless Porsche Assistance are involved. I’m sure that’s what Porsche would say anyway ;)
Macan S MY 2023