New Owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Any advice that states about forgetting to include a spare wheel is bad advice.

Include a spare then buy a repair kit to give options.

I got this sidewall tear which no repair kit would inflate, it happened where there was no mobile signal and late in an afternoon.

Before they closed for the day I had time to change the wheel and drop the flat off at the OPC for them to replace the tyre as and when.

Drove home after stopping off for a meal enroute.

Had I waited for recovery goodness knows how long we would have taken before we got home.

D2B09CB6-B2D6-4257-9BB4-3212657EDF1A.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

I get it, but what of you had another puncture after fitting your spare? Bad luck? Just the same as the first puncture was then.
I've never had a spare tyre in any of my cars, and only had 1 puncture, funnily enough in the Macan.

I'd never tell anyone to not spec the spare wheel though, some wouldn't be comfortable enough changing the wheel even if they have one.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:07 pm I get it, but what of you had another puncture after fitting your spare? Bad luck? Just the same as the first puncture was then.
I've never had a spare tyre in any of my cars, and only had 1 puncture, funnily enough in the Macan.

I'd never tell anyone to not spec the spare wheel though, some wouldn't be comfortable enough changing the wheel even if they have one.
At least recovery would have something to throw on quick though!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Tracky wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:07 pm I get it, but what of you had another puncture after fitting your spare? Bad luck? Just the same as the first puncture was then.

At least recovery would have something to throw on quick though!
Yeah, but a tyre company could bring one out also.

And the point about no phone signal, as I say, what if you got another puncture. All what ifs.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The majority of punctures are penetrations by a sharp slim object [nail, screw etc] and so no rapid deflation is experienced. The TPMS will warn of the loss of pressure in that case. It should give you ample time to reach the nearest tyre depot. Just take it slow and steady. If you are stoping for a while / overnight, then do check and top up the pressure before setting off to tyre depot.

If you do use the Space-saver wheel bear in mind it is designed for temporary use, to get you to a place of repair.
There’s no maximum distance but the speed restriction, limited tread (only 3mm from new) and softer rubber compound mean that the distance covered before repair shouldn’t be excessive.

#Check your handbook and any labels on the spare itself
#Maximum tyre speed is usually restricted to 50mph for safety reasons
#Use of the temporary spare may be restricted to ‘front only’ or ‘back only’ for safety reasons to avoid interference with braking components, or
to avoid transmission damage
#Handling will be different with a skinny spare fitted and you’ll need to allow for this when driving
#Aim to get the original car tyre repaired or replaced as soon as possible
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

kmacuk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:30 pm Hi

When selecting my Macan I started with an S and wanted similar options to those you have chosen, including PSE and 21" wheels. PSE is sounds great, but not on motorway I would agree, so depends on how much you will drive on the twisty fun roads.

When you add £11.3k of extras I think it makes sense to look at a GTS as residuals will offset the extra costs and many of your options are included. The 8-way GTS seats are different from those on the S and I find mine very comfortable

If you keep the S I would recommend a spare wheel, dimming mirrors and GT heated wheel will be better with SC.

This would be a spec I would look at based on the options you chose on your S. Extras are down 50%. Just something else to think about, there are so many differing opinions and criteria driving them.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNQZ7QI5
So I have gone back to the dealer and had a quote for the GTS - I was shocked as not much difference in price as suggested after I had added extras i would like.

Dilemma..... As of now, my OPC has suggested a "potential" TBC October build for the S, but do I hang on for the GTS??? - They are saying late Q2 next year for the GTS and doubt I could get it anywhere else quicker, unless someone knows a dealer that has build slots available??!!

Unsure on what to do now!! :roll:
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:02 pm The majority of punctures are penetrations by a sharp slim object [nail, screw etc] and so no rapid deflation is experienced. The TPMS will warn of the loss of pressure in that case. It should give you ample time to reach the nearest tyre depot. Just take it slow and steady. If you are stoping for a while / overnight, then do check and top up the pressure before setting off to tyre depot.

If you do use the Space-saver wheel bear in mind it is designed for temporary use, to get you to a place of repair.
There’s no maximum distance but the speed restriction, limited tread (only 3mm from new) and softer rubber compound mean that the distance covered before repair shouldn’t be excessive.

#Check your handbook and any labels on the spare itself
#Maximum tyre speed is usually restricted to 50mph for safety reasons
#Use of the temporary spare may be restricted to ‘front only’ or ‘back only’ for safety reasons to avoid interference with braking components, or
to avoid transmission damage
#Handling will be different with a skinny spare fitted and you’ll need to allow for this when driving
#Aim to get the original car tyre repaired or replaced as soon as possible
Appreciate that is from text book but one of my friends drove his 911 all the way back to Cornwall from Spa with his at probably a bit more than recommended speed limit. That was a 996 sometime ago and needless to say he didn’t die
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

MacanSman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:52 pm
kmacuk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:30 pm Hi

When selecting my Macan I started with an S and wanted similar options to those you have chosen, including PSE and 21" wheels. PSE is sounds great, but not on motorway I would agree, so depends on how much you will drive on the twisty fun roads.

When you add £11.3k of extras I think it makes sense to look at a GTS as residuals will offset the extra costs and many of your options are included. The 8-way GTS seats are different from those on the S and I find mine very comfortable

If you keep the S I would recommend a spare wheel, dimming mirrors and GT heated wheel will be better with SC.

This would be a spec I would look at based on the options you chose on your S. Extras are down 50%. Just something else to think about, there are so many differing opinions and criteria driving them.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNQZ7QI5
So I have gone back to the dealer and had a quote for the GTS - I was shocked as not much difference in price as suggested after I had added extras i would like.

Dilemma..... As of now, my OPC has suggested a "potential" TBC October build for the S, but do I hang on for the GTS??? - They are saying late Q2 next year for the GTS and doubt I could get it anywhere else quicker, unless someone knows a dealer that has build slots available??!!

Unsure on what to do now!! :roll:
We ordered an early gen 2 S to pretty much GTS spec because it didn’t exist at the time.

Certainly don’t feel short changed !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S