One month in; likes and dislikes…

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mabmaot

Post by Mabmaot »

Finally getting round to saying Hello.

After 4 years of trauma with a brand new Discovery 5 (3 new engines), I decided enough was enough and sold it. Have to say, got a great price from a Land Rover Dealer at the moment though, so one good thing from the generally sorry saga.

We have an older Discovery 4 so box ticked in terms of 7 seats (which we need) and a good solid workhorse which is used to tow horses, carry 3 dogs etc. Have been getting close to buying an electric car as running my own business the tax benefits are very tempting. Tesla Model 3 - really enjoyed the drive but need the Y for a bit more practicality. Jaguar I-pace - very tempting but complete lack of confidence in JLR’s engineering capabilities to be honest. Audi Q4 Etron - very good, just need the higher powered one to be available. So it will probably be a choice between the Tesla Model Y and the Q4 Etron later this year. Or so I thought….

But wanted something enjoybale for now and a local Audi dealer had a 2017 Macan Diesel S. Drove it and was seriously impressed. Unfortuanly it sold the next day so kept looking.

Found our ’16 at Porsche South London with the spec close to what I wanted and for a sensible premium over non-approved Porsche dealers. Happy to pay a bit more for 2 years warranty etc. So one month in:

The way it drives. The quicker you go, the more sure-footed it feels
Engine is a good balance of decent performance and >40mpg without trying too hard
OPC experience. Nothing was too much trouble and super friendly. They even printed the Private Plates and left them in the boot as they knew I would be putting a plate on (I didn’t ask them to)
Quality - no rattles and feels very solid
Condition. Whether the previous owner was incredibly facdisious, and / or the OPC used car prep is exceptionally thorough, the condition is amazing

Dislikes:
Didn’t realise that auto main beam or LED headlights weren’t standard. Really miss these once you've had them
Won’t want to change it for an electric car! Unless I spend more money and get an electric Porsche….

Porsche Macan pic.png

'16 Macan S Jet Black

Other Current:
Audi S4 Convertible
Land Rover Discovery 4 (dogs, mountain bikes etc)
VW Golf Convertible

Past:
Land Rover Discovery 5
Various BMWs
Various Audis

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Interestingly I also test drove the Q4 Etron, and a Tesla model 3 performance and ended up buying a Macan. I also wanted to see the more powerful Q4 but for me the killer was the build quality on the Audi and visibility for parking , both of which were severely lacking for an Audi ( owned plently of Audi’s and always loved the build quality so the Q4 was especially disappointing ).

The Tesla was insanely fast but I still don’t think the UK is ready for fully electric if its your only car ( which for me it would have been ).

The new macan comes as standard with the fancy headlights but auto-full beam is still an expensive optional extra!
Last edited by Deleted User 4436 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Mabmaot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:34 pm Finally getting round to saying Hello.

After 4 years of trauma with a brand new Discovery 5 (3 new engines), I decided enough was enough and sold it. Have to say, got a great price from a Land Rover Dealer at the moment though, so one good thing from the generally sorry saga.

We have an older Discovery 4 so box ticked in terms of 7 seats (which we need) and a good solid workhorse which is used to tow horses, carry 3 dogs etc. Have been getting close to buying an electric car as running my own business the tax benefits are very tempting. Tesla Model 3 - really enjoyed the drive but need the Y for a bit more practicality. Jaguar I-pace - very tempting but complete lack of confidence in JLR’s engineering capabilities to be honest. Audi Q4 Etron - very good, just need the higher powered one to be available. So it will probably be a choice between the Tesla Model Y and the Q4 Etron later this year. Or so I thought….

But wanted something enjoybale for now and a local Audi dealer had a 2017 Macan Diesel S. Drove it and was seriously impressed. Unfortuanly it sold the next day so kept looking.

Found our ’16 at Porsche South London with the spec close to what I wanted and for a sensible premium over non-approved Porsche dealers. Happy to pay a bit more for 2 years warranty etc. So one month in:

Engine is a good balance of decent performance and >40mpg without trying too hard
OPC experience. Nothing was too much trouble and super friendly. They even printed the Private Plates and left them in the boot as they knew I would be putting a plate on (I didn’t ask them to)
Condition. Whether the previous owner was incredibly facdisious, and / or the OPC used car prep is exceptionally thorough, the condition is amazing

Dislikes:
Didn’t realise that auto main beam or LED headlights weren’t standard. Really miss these once you've had them
Won’t want to change it for an electric car! Unless I spend more money and get an electric Porsche….

Porsche Macan pic.png
Did you have a 3 litre Disco 5? I’ve had a 2 litre one from new in 2017 and it’s been absolutely faultless. Unlike my wife’s Disco Sport which has been a nightmare. Hence why it’s being replaced with a new Macan S.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Interestingly I had a Freelander 1 ( face lift model ). Pretty much seen as the worst car ever built if you believe the Internet. It had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it and was one of the best cars I ever owned. I only ever had “minor” issues with it, most of which could be attributed to age and mileage.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I also have a Diesel S and it’s fantastic, fortunately mine has LED headlights as I always had upgraded lights on my previous BMW’s and knew the standard Macan lights are pants.
Mine has not been without issues though and I’m sorry to say the dealer has been the worst I’ve dealt with in 30 years of driving. I hope you have a better experience going forwards.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

+1, for the macan diesel being a great car. cannot think of a worthy subsutute.
Mabmaot

Post by Mabmaot »

Atlantis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:19 pm
Mabmaot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:34 pm Finally getting round to saying Hello.

Dislikes:

Porsche Macan pic.png
Did you have a 3 litre Disco 5? I’ve had a 2 litre one from new in 2017 and it’s been absolutely faultless. Unlike my wife’s Disco Sport which has been a nightmare. Hence why it’s being replaced with a new Macan S.
It was a 2.0. Have to say I think it was towing that was the issue. The power was fine but all achieved through turbo charging etc. But very happy with the 3.0 Discovery 4 we have.
'16 Macan S Jet Black

Other Current:
Audi S4 Convertible
Land Rover Discovery 4 (dogs, mountain bikes etc)
VW Golf Convertible

Past:
Land Rover Discovery 5
Various BMWs
Various Audis