Going to take the plunge

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Neil1911 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 pm Not the attitude we expect from fellow Porsche owners! Which poor sod has your old Aston now, or did that end up in a hedge?
it went to McGurk performance cars. Strongly recommend them if anyone wants to buy an exotic. They offered me £5k more than Aston did. Btw, if your car is regularly serviced, as the Aston was ( by Aston main dealers ) then they’ll know if there are any engine issues. Helps that the 4.7L V8 lump in the Vantage is pretty bullet proof ( unlike the stupid automated manual clutch - Aston said 8-10k miles was acceptable for it to disintegrate. Never had any issues with mine, because I was such a gentle driver……… but apparently its a common weak point )

Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

Breaking in sounds like a new horse not a car.
Originally it was running in a new engine because the manufacturing tolerance was so poor . A new car required 600 miles of careful driving followed by an oil and filter change to remove all the small pieces of metal . The oil sump drain plug also included a magnetic insert that help collect some of the metal .
Thanks to todays manufacturing technology, tolerances on todays engines are so good that running in is not required unless you are a total Boy Racer.
Todays engines are made on computer controlled machine tools not by men in oily overalls.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

👍 Like.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jonnyw wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:16 pm Breaking in sounds like a new horse not a car.
Originally it was running in a new engine because the manufacturing tolerance was so poor . A new car required 600 miles of careful driving followed by an oil and filter change to remove all the small pieces of metal . The oil sump drain plug also included a magnetic insert that help collect some of the metal .
Thanks to todays manufacturing technology, tolerances on todays engines are so good that running in is not required unless you are a total Boy Racer.
Todays engines are made on computer controlled machine tools not by men in oily overalls.
A complete misunderstanding of the physical properties of an engine. Manufacturing tolerance hasn't been 'so poor' since the early 1900's. Yes, machine tools have become automated but the machining of metal remains the same now as it always has. Quality control has improved, surface coatings have been developed in some components and lubrication has also been improved. But mating metal surfaces still require bedding in just like they always have and it needs to be done in a controlled way in order to avoid permanent damage which will affect reliability, efficiency and noise. Why do you think manufacturers recommend a period of running in for their cars? And it's not just engines, gearboxes, etc, it's also brakes, tyres and many other components. The myth that running in is no longer required is peddled by sales people and those who don't have the patience to do it. Neither do they have any understanding of engineering.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^ Well said Nick.

In service replacement of tyres and brakes also need running-in every time too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

All makes perfect sense. Some of us will still have the running in process of old in mind, even though I never went through it, I recall tell of how it was for my grandfather's Morgan 3 wheeler and even his ultra modern 1963 Morris 1100. I doubt 4,000 rpm figured in either if those ☺
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

I've got 57 miles left of running in, just done another 180 miles today.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)