Moving from a 992C4S to a Macan Turbo

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

mueslibrown wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:40 pm
Wasn't referring to you but the OP in the owners club thread ...
Ahhhh, sorry, my mistake!

drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

Well, so far 10 days into Macan ownership and I’ve put just over 800 miles on the clock!
First weekend saw a trip up to Crainlarich to walk up Ben More, followed by a trip up to Nairn to pick up a set of Winter wheels from an absolute gentleman.
Initial thoughts:
Superb fit and finish as you would expect. The 18-way seats are more comfortable than the similar 18-way seats in the 992, specifically the thigh bolsters.
Panoramic roof is awesome - floods the interior with light, and when opened lets in the cheeky exhaust note from the sports exhaust.
Air suspension is very impressive, especially down my un-tarmacked road, even with the 21” wheels the ride is sublime.
Coming from the 992 not surprisingly I found the comfort setting a bit ‘wallowy’, however, once I put the car on Sports+ suspension and lowered ride height this tightened up the handling. It will never be a 911, but it handles pretty well for a 2 tonne vehicle.
Some great roads around Nairn where I got to feel the flow of the car and learn more about its handling characteristics…
Returning 30 mpg on a long run with a gentle right foot. 75 litre tank returns a pretty decent range.
It takes a fairly long press of the accelerator to really stir the beast in normal mode but the car wafts past slower traffic effortlessly. Looking forward to exploring the Sports and Sports + modes.
So far, really impressed 👍
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Pleased you are enjoying the Turbo.

As you have Sports Chrono you also have three engine and gearbox modes to sharpen up the response in addition to the Suspension modes.

The long push of the throttle is typical of the Turbo, Sport mode on the suspension puts the engine and gearbox into their own Sport mode and this is a good setting for making progress rapidly on A and B roads.

Comfort mode for suspension and for the engine/gearbox plus lowering the suspension is good for me when I am in the Driving Miss Daisy mindset or on Motorways.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

drgav2005 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm Well, so far 10 days into Macan ownership and I’ve put just over 800 miles on the clock!
First weekend saw a trip up to Crainlarich to walk up Ben More, followed by a trip up to Nairn to pick up a set of Winter wheels from an absolute gentleman.
Initial thoughts:
Superb fit and finish as you would expect. The 18-way seats are more comfortable than the similar 18-way seats in the 992, specifically the thigh bolsters.
Panoramic roof is awesome - floods the interior with light, and when opened lets in the cheeky exhaust note from the sports exhaust.
Air suspension is very impressive, especially down my un-tarmacked road, even with the 21” wheels the ride is sublime.
Coming from the 992 not surprisingly I found the comfort setting a bit ‘wallowy’, however, once I put the car on Sports+ suspension and lowered ride height this tightened up the handling. It will never be a 911, but it handles pretty well for a 2 tonne vehicle.
Some great roads around Nairn where I got to feel the flow of the car and learn more about its handling characteristics…
Returning 30 mpg on a long run with a gentle right foot. 75 litre tank returns a pretty decent range.
It takes a fairly long press of the accelerator to really stir the beast in normal mode but the car wafts past slower traffic effortlessly. Looking forward to exploring the Sports and Sports + modes.
Exactly the same here ref suspension. Do you have it in lowered even in normal?
Just wait till you get the 1800 miles done, I finally did that the other week and the car is pretty quick.

Ps, there's no issue with you using Sports mode during running in, just don't go above 4k.
I haven't really been putting it into sport mode till the oil is warm, but have read that putting it into sport warms the oil up quicker cause it brings another oil pump into play?

Edit - I didn't see Cols post. I usually use the car in normal but with lowered suspension as well cause the roads are hideous around by me.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:45 am
drgav2005 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm Well, so far 10 days into Macan ownership and I’ve put just over 800 miles on the clock!
Initial thoughts:
Exactly the same here ref suspension. Do you have it in lowered even in normal?
Just wait till you get the 1800 miles done, I finally did that the other week and the car is pretty quick.

Ps, there's no issue with you using Sports mode during running in, just don't go above 4k.
I haven't really been putting it into sport mode till the oil is warm, but have read that putting it into sport warms the oil up quicker cause it brings another oil pump into play?

Edit - I didn't see Cols post. I usually use the car in normal but with lowered suspension as well cause the roads are hideous around by me.
I always ran mine in the lowered setting and in the first Sport PASM setting. Very comfortable on 20" wheels in all conditions with no hint of 'floatiness'.

I think Sport is a good setting for running in as it uses at least one lower ratio all the time which means the engine is spinning higher and under lighter load. Just keep an eye on the revs until the 2k miles are up.

The oil temperature is controlled by regulating flow through the oil cooler.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I then thought somebody on here said that in sport mode there are more grill flaps open which means it could take longer to warm up. !!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 pm Pleased you are enjoying the Turbo.

The long push of the throttle is typical of the Turbo, Sport mode on the suspension puts the engine and gearbox into their own Sport mode and this is a good setting for making progress rapidly on A and B roads.

That’s good to know, I was surprised by how much throttle action is needed to get it to wake up compared to the GTS I test drove. 👍🏻
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Tracky wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:22 am I then thought somebody on here said that in sport mode there are more grill flaps open which means it could take longer to warm up. !!
I was advised by one of the Instructors at the PEC that the grill flaps are passive adaptive in that they move with speed to admit more air and they are shaped to increase ground force.

I have no idea if the guy was spinning a yarn so make of it what you will.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 am
Tracky wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:22 am I then thought somebody on here said that in sport mode there are more grill flaps open which means it could take longer to warm up. !!
I was advised by one of the Instructors at the PEC that the grill flaps are passive adaptive in that they move with speed to admit more air and they are shaped to increase ground force.

I have no idea if the guy was spinning a yarn so make of it what you will.
Sounds a bit far fetched to me on a suv…..
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

The flaps are actuated.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)