New Member - Upgrading from S4 Avant

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Afternoon all,

Having dreamt of Porsche ownership since I had a copy of the 1987 911 brochure when the prevailing colour was chocolate brown I'm now seriously close to purchasing a Macan S/GTS as our new family run about.

Been looking since the winter lockdown when my target car of a 3 year old GTS with sub 20k miles was about £45-£50k and since that time the price has increased to more like £57-£60k. Luckily the current car has also gone up in value so that's helped soften the blow somewhat.

On that basis I either downgrade to an Gen 2 'S' with higher mileage to keep the price lower or go all out an order a Gen 3 S in the exact spec I want.

......Which for an extra £10K seems like the right thing to do.......until I learned that the On The Road costs aren't included and then a £54k car becomes a near £70k car! :evil:

Still have to decide on final spec but liking the Gentian Blue possibly even with the neodyne alloys which gives it a little bit of Clio Williams/Classic Impreza charm. 8-)

I test drove a Gen 2 S at Porsche Newcastle whilst visiting family and was really impressed with the ride and handling compared to the S4 and even had a smoother power delivery.

Now back in London and likely to be ordering from my local OPC in South London but understand from other parts of the forum i'm in for a wait.

Just hope the S4 doesn't drop too much in value over the coming months which would be a right pain.

Cheers.

Chris
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches

Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Don't think it will drop. My Q3 was £12k in April when I put my deposit down. Motorway quoted £17064 last week. If it carries on like this it'll be worth more than my new Porsche by the time the thing gets delivered, or even built!!!!
Lol!!!!
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

FYI I started looking at a base demo but got infected by the Porsche Confuserator and ended up ordering a Gen 3 GTS so be careful spending too much time on there!!!!
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

It seems impossible to spend less than £10k on the configurator as by the time you've added a nice colour and wheels combo and got the spec up to where it should be for a car like this I'm always around £65-£66k.

But I do sometimes have to check myself and think is it worth another £35k on top of the Audi!

Well that would be a rationale decision......

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

don’t forget a gen 3 Macan S has the same engine as a gen 2 GTS but with slightly more power, torque and quicker 0-60. Plus you know its not been ragged etc. If its affordable I’d recommend a new Gen 3 S. However, the downside is that if you order one now you’ll likely be in for a bit of a wait.

btw, as a bit of a confession I have always hated Porsches. Had Audi’s, BMW’s, Astons etc but vowed I’d never own a Porsche and hated everyone that drove one ( worth mentioning everyone on this forum is really nice, it turns out ). But I test drove a bunch of new cars, including Audi’s, and none of them felt as well put together or as nice to drive, even if the Macan felt a bit old fashioned in comparison to a lot of them. So whilst definitely not a Porsche fan boy I can see the appeal and am about to become a lot poorer as a consequence.
Deleted User 4436

Smokey99 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:38 pm It seems impossible to spend less than £10k on the configurator as by the time you've added a nice colour and wheels combo and got the spec up to where it should be for a car like this I'm always around £65-£66k.

But I do sometimes have to check myself and think is it worth another £35k on top of the Audi!

Well that would be a rationale decision......
i drove a Q4 etron and I’d say the answer to your question of if it’s worth the extra money is a resounding yes. The audi felt really cheap and nasty, which is unusual for an Audi as the ones I have owned have been amongst the best bolted together cars I’ve driven. Plus when you put decent options in it the price difference is actually pretty small. Certainly if you are talking PCP you’re looking at about £50 a week difference.

however, you’re bang-on about the configurator. Its a dangerous place to take your wallet. My total build, including OTR prices ( which are NOT included in the configurator and add an extra £2k to your build ) was £64k. Unless you can live with a lot of the standard stuff I can pretty much guarantee you that’s about where you’ll end up.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Smokey99 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm Afternoon all,

Having dreamt of Porsche ownership since I had a copy of the 1987 911 brochure when the prevailing colour was chocolate brown I'm now seriously close to purchasing a Macan S/GTS as our new family run about.
Your money would be safer with this and you will have more fun !

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 8065928317

Welcome by the way - from a 1987 Porsche owner (the car that was meant to replace the 911 and failed!)
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Deleted User 4436

Tracky wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:19 pm
Smokey99 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm Afternoon all,

Your money would be safer with this and you will have more fun !

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 8065928317

Welcome by the way - from a 1987 Porsche owner (the car that was meant to replace the 911 and failed!)
family runabout 😉
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

He's obviously adding the kids to the insurance so they can drive him hone from the pub, maybe I'll do that too...... Nah!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

That 1987 Carrera is pretty cool and ’m amazed it’s that ‘affordable’ …..he says knowing nada about vintage Porsche values. It’s hilarious that’s it’s for sale at random Vauxhall garage.

The plan for the Macan S Gen 3 really is as a family run around……well at least me and my 15 year old son who keeps on sending me WhatsApp messages from Autotrader with overpriced nearly new Macans.