New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
NP411

Post by NP411 »

Hi All,

I'm new to Porsche, I have recently put my £3k down to get on the waitlist for a Macan S. As it is my first Porsche, and there's a plethora of options, I could do with some advice as to what is a must, and what not to waste money on. Here's my current planned spec;

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNG8TVY3

I currently have an RS5 which I'm selling this month, and we're going down to 1 car for the winter. But I wanted a SUV, with space enough for 2 medium sized dogs, without losing all the fun I have with my current car. I drive mostly country roads with the odd motorway trip thrown in every now and again.

Thanks in advance
Macan S delivered March 2022 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN45S7H1

Papeto

Post by Papeto »

Welcome NP411! Love the Papaya, if I was more bold, I would have gone for it. I was in two minds about self steering park assist, left it in the end as Surround View is apparantly good enough. Also it wouldn’t work at my home garage. Consider power steering plus, makes it easier to manuvere around town. The one stand out option is the sports exhaust, make sure you drive a Gen 2 with it before looking it in, as its a costly item and I think the standard V6 exhaust noise is good enough. I added ACC to my build as in Australia everyone drives one or two km below or above the speed limit and it gets frustrating modulating your speed to suite such small increments. Is heated seats standard in the UK, if not maybe a worthwhile option. Hope that gives you some food for thought. In the end the beauty with Porsche is you can spec what you want and will give you a smile on your face everytime you start up that beautiful v6 . Have fun- took me about 500 turns to finalise mine ;)
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Heated front seats are standard. Rears are a couple pf hundred quid but worth every penny to me to stop my son moaning about how cold it is in the back of the car in winter
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Personally, I'd spend a bit more on the interior (e.g. leather or extended leather) which is where you spend most of your time. It also makes the car look more like a £60k car should look like.

Try and get a test drive in a Macan with a standard sound system. It might save you the money you've commited to a Bose system.

How often do you parallel park? Surround View will stop you getting into trouble with kerbed wheels without the need for Self-steering Park Assist.

Sports Exhaust is standard on my GTS but I'm not sure I'd spend £1,700 on it as an extra. Only you know whether your driving style justifies Sports Chrono. The Sports Response button is, IMHO, the usefull feature and the dashtop clock/lap timer. If you delete that, I'd recommend the compass which breaks up the dashboard expanse nicely.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the car.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:23 pm Personally, I'd spend a bit more on the interior (e.g. leather or extended leather) which is where you spend most of your time. It also makes the car look more like a £60k car should look like.

Try and get a test drive in a Macan with a standard sound system. It might save you the money you've commited to a Bose system.

How often do you parallel park? Surround View will stop you getting into trouble with kerbed wheels without the need for Self-steering Park Assist.

Sports Exhaust is standard on my GTS but I'm not sure I'd spend £1,700 on it as an extra. Only you know whether your driving style justifies Sports Chrono. The Sports Response button is, IMHO, the usefull feature and the dashtop clock/lap timer. If you delete that, I'd recommend the compass which breaks up the dashboard expanse nicely.

This is Gen 3 so the car gets a centre dash clock irrespective of SC. The big advantage of SC for me is the steering wheel mode switch avoiding the need on Gen3 to use Haptic buttons for such changes
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
NP411

Post by NP411 »

On-Track wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:23 pm Personally, I'd spend a bit more on the interior (e.g. leather or extended leather) which is where you spend most of your time. It also makes the car look more like a £60k car should look like.

Lots of good points here so thank you, I have been debating the sports exhaust since day 1. My OPC should have the new Macan S demo in next month so I'll see what I think of it, I must admit, I love a shouty car!

Whats the thoughts on the air suspension? Given I'm only going to be running it on 20"s, I wasn't going to bother!
Macan S delivered March 2022 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN45S7H1
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

NP411 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:27 pm

Lots of good points here so thank you, I have been debating the sports exhaust since day 1. My OPC should have the new Macan S demo in next month so I'll see what I think of it, I must admit, I love a shouty car!

Whats the thoughts on the air suspension? Given I'm only going to be running it on 20"s, I wasn't going to bother!
I haven’t bothered.

My thoughts are there have definitely been a few reports of it making people feel sick ( i think the car I drove had it and it definitely made me feel a tad suspect ). Also if you have PASM and sports chrono you can fiddle around with the suspension settings quite a lot anyway.

And arguably the biggest point, just at the moment if you add air to an S order it will delay delivery until the second Christmas after hell freezes over.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I had an SD for five years. The summer wheels were 20" and the car was on steel suspension with PASM (which was an optional extra back in 2015). The handling and ride were great. Unless you're planning on towing (and as you haven't specified a tow bar I don't think you are) air suspension is unnecessary. You will see from my signature that my GTS is on air suspension with 20" wheels but GTS suspension is stiffer than that on an S.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

I had originally included the sports exhaust on my first build but have since removed it. I have been back to my dealer today to finally lock in my build and I had also booked in to take out the Macan S out for a test drive whilst there. This one had the sports exhaust on and I am certainly happy that I removed it from my build as I didn't really notice that much of a difference, and it certainly didn't warrant £1700 extra.

As for the air suspension, the demonstrator didn't have it on and had 21" wheels - Both my wife and I noticed the difference in the ride in the car and I certainly wouldn't be buying mine without it!

I am sure you'll love your car, whatever options you choose!

Cheers