New to Porsche - dithering between S & GTS

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
New User

Post by New User »

Hi All

Looking to put the deposit down in a few days but unable to decide between S and GTS (test drove a base which convinced me that I would not be happy in a 2.0). I was probably the target market for the now discontinued Turbo as I am not interested in a hardcore sports version (I am pretty sure that the cars limits are higher than mine and it will always be on public roads).

So it comes down to this: would I always regret not choosing a GTS and end up dissatisfied in an S, given that this is the last of the ICE Macan's? Or is it just a car after all and the S is pretty much as quick on public roads as last year's GTS so apart from badge envy I would be quite happy?

S Config: PND9AHJ7
GTS Config: PNR5TFJ2

Would be on PCP/Lease so not fussed about options that affect resale. Had Pan Roofs before and usually have the blind closed on them plus have had troubles so not keen on them. Have an X3 as well so don't need roof/tow bars etc.

The GTS looks quite good value and doesn't need much to bring it to a minimum acceptable spec for me but will I regret the advanced brakes and air suspension it comes with as unnecessary ownership complications if I decide it is a keeper ?

If it helps I am coming from a succession of 5 series and lastly an i8, which I only got because I was fascinated by the tech but it wasn't for me at the end of the day. Best ownership experience was an E39 M5 nearly 20 years ago and looking for something with similar ingredients of luxury and very understated styling, considering the performance available.

Macaning

Post by Macaning »

I’m in the same boat and can’t figure it out myself

Maybe you could ask the dealer if you can get back to the standard brakes once it’s due for change

For AS I don’t think it will be due for a change until your lease is done

Looking at your S spec I think it makes sense to keep it this way, As I say you’re not keen on 21” wheels or AS or GTS exterior bits
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

A GTS will probably be a better buy in that it will hold its value pro rata more than an S.

The GTS not just of the Macan range but the same model in other models is the sweet handling version with more standard inclusions than an S and some nice bling included.

Many GTS owners keep the options down and choose them that will improve the desirability when contract ends.

Look at adding:-
Pano
14/18 way seats
RevCam
Spare wheel
Tyre sealing compound inc compressor (having both gives options)
PS+
Smoking package (its a cover that hides a hole in the centre console)
Sports Chrono

Plus whatever else is desirable to you.

My own favourites are heated steering wheel and ACC

Do also note that rear seat side airbags are an option.

Regarding air suspension, I have a Turbo with air and it includes a switchable 10mm lovering option, so do check if this is included with the std air system.

As far as brakes go any Porsche will brake from 60mph to 0 in 1/2 the time it takes to get to 60 so fear not about braking capability.

At the PEC one of the things they have you is a launch start, foot to floor until the braking zone, hard on brakes and steer across the lanes under perfect control as if going from the outer lane on a Motorway to the hard shoulder. These things are so stable and controllable under emergency braking maneaouvers.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GTB

Post by GTB »

I spent over a month comparing the two ( S & GTS) and on the configerator. Really ended up a simple decision for me to pay the extra for the GTS plus the extras I wanted than an S with lots more extras and ending up at almost the same if not higher figure. Obviously a personal choice and everyone is diffrent.
My Porsche code is below, order placed last week and I will not be changing anything

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNTUV2A3

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

You ask whether you would regret not choosing a GTS yet you've removed the GTS features from the interior. There's a £10k gap between your two specs. That's a lot to pay for extra performance (plus air suspension and bigger wheels). The new S has all the performance of the Gen 2 GTS, my recommendation is go for that.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Both incredible cars.

If you are happy with the spec of that S you have configured then I’d go for the S.

I chose the GTS personally, but I wanted a lot of the spec that comes standard or is cheaper with the GTS (I.e. air suspension, black trim accents, black RS wheels, tinted led tailight etc), so it made sense to make the jump up.

But if you are happy with that lightly optioned S then go for that.

Unless money is not a concern, then id go for the better car… GTS
pmg

Post by pmg »

sd1985 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:14 pm Both incredible cars.

If you are happy with the spec of that S you have configured then I’d go for the S.

I chose the GTS personally, but I wanted a lot of the spec that comes standard or is cheaper with the GTS (I.e. air suspension, black trim accents, black RS wheels, tinted led tailight etc), so it made sense to make the jump up.

But if you are happy with that lightly optioned S then go for that.

Unless money is not a concern, then id go for the better car… GTS
Depends on what your definition of the better car is and your priorities in using a car. Some of the reviews think the "S" is the pick f the "Gen 3" range
Last edited by pmg on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:05 pm You ask whether you would regret not choosing a GTS yet you've removed the GTS features from the interior. There's a £10k gap between your two specs. That's a lot to pay for extra performance (plus air suspension and bigger wheels). The new S has all the performance of the Gen 2 GTS, my recommendation is go for that.
I am in agreement with Peter. On what you have defined as your priorities and tastes "S".
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
GTB

Post by GTB »

I guess each to their own and its what they are looking for and happy with.

Some people ask for ketchup on their bacon sandwich! some ask for brown sauce! and there are also those that dont want any condiments on their bacon sandwich at all. :? :?

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

^^^ Quite right too, it'd be an insult to the pig!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP