New member and possible Macan S D

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Hi all

just a quick intro..

I've just finished a PCP on a Land Rover Discovery Sport and made a nice little profit selling the car on to WBAC at the end of the lease - it proved to be a decent family car for 2.5years, and the dog liked travelling in his crate in the back.
Ive also owned a 2005 987 Boxster S for the last 16 years, now on 51k miles, albeit in the last few years its barely moved with family life, covid and working from home.

So time to perhaps change the 987S for a Macan S D ?

I dare say i'll be asking a few daft questions in the days/weeks ahead although the search function has proved very useful so far with my research.

Thanks

MTUK

Post by MTUK »

I've just offloaded a nice car under the false of illusion I was getting a good price. 4K more than I piad 18 months ago. Problem is I then went and bought a Macan S D which cost me approx 4K more than it would usually be!!

At least it twisted my arm to get teh Macan though!! and it's great to be back in a Porsche after a break since 2006
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

The SD is pretty good, put it in Sport mode and it is effortless to drive up to motorway cruising speed.

They can be a bit sluggish to react in comfort mode.

Only issues of note are transfer boxes and DPF filter blockages due to excessive low speed town driving. Not all are affected by DPF faults but do ensure of the history as past members here have given up their SD Macans after failures by their OPC to resolve repeated cases of the car going into limp home mode.

Do avoid any Macan with halogen headlights.

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Percymon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am Hi all

just a quick intro..

I've just finished a PCP on a Land Rover Discovery Sport and made a nice little profit selling the car on to WBAC at the end of the lease - it proved to be a decent family car for 2.5years, and the dog liked travelling in his crate in the back.
Ive also owned a 2005 987 Boxster S for the last 16 years, now on 51k miles, albeit in the last few years its barely moved with family life, covid and working from home.

So time to perhaps change the 987S for a Macan S D ?

I dare say i'll be asking a few daft questions in the days/weeks ahead although the search function has proved very useful so far with my research.

Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Col has intimated above, don't buy an SD if your main use is short journeys. On the other hand I had an SD for 5 years and 43k miles and found it a fantastic car. Almost every journey was at least 50 miles each way so I never experienced DPF issues. Depending on the size of your dog, it may find there's less room than in the Discovery Sport. It will also have to get used to bracing itself if you're heavy on the throttle as the SD is no sluggard.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As Peter has more or less indicated space is at a premium in a Macan.

Two of us on a weeks self catering in Scotland, our luggage, dog, her bed, toys, food etc and our Macan was choc a block full.

Even a day out and with the sloping boot door there is no room for a crate in the boot, we had to buy the rails that fasten onto the rear headrests and put her bed in the boot. Now we have large sport towels over the back seat and she travels there, harnessed to the seat belt so at least we have our boot back.

BTW our dog is a whippet so not the largest of breeds.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

MTUK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:51 pm I've just offloaded a nice car under the false of illusion I was getting a good price. 4K more than I piad 18 months ago. Problem is I then went and bought a Macan S D which cost me approx 4K more than it would usually be!!

At least it twisted my arm to get teh Macan though!! and it's great to be back in a Porsche after a break since 2006
Ha ha - yes its very tempting to sell at the moment - in my case i was all for handing the car back, but the lack of miles due to covid and the rising used prices meant i sold for almost £10k over the balloon payment. With my original 25% discount I effectively got 2.5 years motoring for just a few hundred pounds. Not sure i can repeat that one ever again :(
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:56 am As Peter has more or less indicated space is at a premium in a Macan.

Two of us on a weeks self catering in Scotland, our luggage, dog, her bed, toys, food etc and our Macan was choc a block full.

Even a day out and with the sloping boot door there is no room for a crate in the boot, we had to buy the rails that fasten onto the rear headrests and put her bed in the boot. Now we have large sport towels over the back seat and she travels there, harnessed to the seat belt so at least we have our boot back.

BTW our dog is a whippet so not the largest of breeds.
Thanks for the input - our Staffie sits in petpro TUV tested crate - it was a great fit in the Disco Sport , with another 4 inches to spare at the tailgate end and no loading lip . I imagine it would fill the Macan boot depth and then we would have issues with the crate door fouling the loading lip. I'm not averse to finding a different crate though, the dog could certainly manage comfortably in something a bit smaller
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Travall make cages to fit specific models, look at their website.

Col, whippet, Macan Turbo, is there a flat cap to complete the archetypal image of a Northerner? ☺
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP