Hello & question re. 21" rims with Air Suspension

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 pm ...to boost their profits!! ;)

If they felt it was mandatory, they’d insist you add air if you spec 21” wheels on a 2.0 or an S.
The fallacy in your logic is they could make even more profits by not fitting Air and selling GTS's at the price the market seems prepared to pay. There has rarely been a 1 to 1 relationship between build cost and Porsche price, just look at the cosmetic options!! :) :) :D :D ;) ;) ;)
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:01 pm A couple of years ago, I had a loaner 2L Macan that was on 21" wheels and no PASM. I was surprised that the ride was not as bad as I was expecting. To me, PASM is essential for the improvement in handling that you get from it being adaptive but as Simon has said, you don't ""need" air suspension.

My car might seem to contradict what I've said but the Gen 2 GTS demonstrator had air suspension and the ride and handling were perfect so that's what I specified. Steve (SAC1) will give you the same answer for 20" wheels on a GTS with PASM on steel so you pays your money and you takes your choice :D
Yep, but you really need to try the combination you are considering. Ideally with the engine you have selected. We are all different in our expectations for ride and handling.

My SD on 19" with PASM had a magic carpet ride.

My GTS with PASM is a tad firmer, BUT the handling, turn in and response are noticably better. I tried a Turbo with Air and 20" but did not like it. For me it felt "rubbery" rather than "floaty".. so yes do try before you buy. ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Firstmacan

Post by Firstmacan »

I have 21’s and find the ride harsher then my previous 18’s. Or have the roads deteriorated so much in the last couple of years! It’s best to test drive both so that you don’t regret it afterwards like me.
Arrived July 2023 - S, Silver.
Arrived April 2019- S Petrol in Sapphire Blue & 21” Spiders. Sold
Arrived April 15 -diesel S, Agate grey & 20 “ spiders. Sold
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

So do people think the air suspension is a must have if going for 21” wheels?
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I have 21” wheels and air suspension & I think that it is excellent, you can have it in high ride and comfort & waft along on motorways or you can firm it up with PASM & sport on the back roads, to me it is the best of both worlds! But there are plenty on here who will disagree. Each to their own.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
pmg

Post by pmg »

:All the comments here are based on individuals driving Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars.The suspension settings have changed at each generation.Just saying. :) :) :)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Toddie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 pm I have 21” wheels and air suspension & I think that it is excellent, you can have it in high ride and comfort & waft along on motorways or you can firm it up with PASM & sport on the back roads, to me it is the best of both worlds! But there are plenty on here who will disagree. Each to their own.
This is my take on it, I can't fault it. I haven't driven a Macan with steel suspension though.
I came from an RS6 with aftermarket suspension, ARBs and alloys, a Macan on air with 21" wheels and no tyres fitted would feel smoother!
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

pmg wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:06 am :All the comments here are based on individuals driving Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars.The suspension settings have changed at each generation.Just saying. :) :) :)
This is the most challenging part for all of us, anyone hoping to get a Gen 3 within the next 6 months probably didn’t test drive before ordering and even now there are a few demo cars out there you are highly unlikely to be able to try all the wheel size vs suspension types to see what works for you unless you wait to place your order in a few months. For that reason I specced air to hopefully avoid/control a ride that is too firm for my tastes - having said that it could still be too floaty for some people’s needs! :)
pmg

Post by pmg »

BanZ wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:12 am
pmg wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:06 am :All the comments here are based on individuals driving Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars.The suspension settings have changed at each generation.Just saying. :) :) :)
This is the most challenging part for all of us, anyone hoping to get a Gen 3 within the next 6 months probably didn’t test drive before ordering and even now there are a few demo cars out there you are highly unlikely to be able to try all the wheel size vs suspension types to see what works for you unless you wait to place your order in a few months. For that reason I specced air to hopefully avoid/control a ride that is too firm for my tastes - having said that it could still be too floaty for some people’s needs! :)
Agreed

One advantage of having Sports Chrono is that it adds a third suspension setting and gives the option of individual setting to mix the suspension and drive modes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wrong assumption but yes setups do change with generations

I have driven a lot of Macans and most with 21” wheels.

I would say any Macan on 21” wheels needs PASM but only PASM.

Ride quality is not much different between 20” and 21” wheels the only difference is that road noise is a bit more on 21”.

21” without PASM gives a ride that I liken to a BMW on M suspension with flat run flat tyres, in other words a poor hard ride especially on uneven road surfaces.

The absolute best ride quality of any Macan that I have driven was a 2.0 litre base that had PASM and air and was shod with standard 18” wheels, the combo gave a sublime and comfortable ride
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags