Gen3 wheels - my order is about to be frozen

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4607

Post by Deleted User 4607 »

Hi Everybody...I have been reading all the posts and picked up a huge amount of info as a Porsche virgin...brilliant forum :D
I started my Macan deliberations with the usual S v GTS dilemma, however over time I have made what most on this forum will tell me is a strange option of going for the base version...reason being I have been lucky to own a number of 'mild performance' cars over the years ie boring hot hatches, TVR V8S, Vauxhall VX220 and I still own a Golf R 7.5. Due to old age (57) it has dawned on me I'm more interested in driving a brilliantly handling, reasonably comfortable, quality small SUV as an everyday car and long European motorway cruiser. In terms of speed I need only enough power to get past the numerous elderly Honda Jazz drivers who plague the A272 and surrounding roads in West Sussex.

Enough of my excuses...now for the advice, bearing in mind my aspirations above, 19 or 20 inch wheels????? Saving c.£2.5k from my already over indulged options (PSAM but not Air) by sticking with the 19 inch comfy riding wheels is tempting but do they detract from the feedback and handling as opposed to the 20 inch?

PNYRXGF8...

thanks for your thoughts!

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Dodsley wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:33 pm Hi Everybody...I have been reading all the posts and picked up a huge amount of info as a Porsche virgin...brilliant forum :D
I started my Macan deliberations with the usual S v GTS dilemma, however over time I have made what most on this forum will tell me is a strange option of going for the base version...reason being I have been lucky to own a number of 'mild performance' cars over the years ie boring hot hatches, TVR V8S, Vauxhall VX220 and I still own a Golf R 7.5. Due to old age (57) it has dawned on me I'm more interested in driving a brilliantly handling, reasonably comfortable, quality small SUV as an everyday car and long European motorway cruiser. In terms of speed I need only enough power to get past the numerous elderly Honda Jazz drivers who plague the A272 and surrounding roads in West Sussex.

Enough of my excuses...now for the advice, bearing in mind my aspirations above, 19 or 20 inch wheels????? Saving c.£2.5k from my already over indulged options (PSAM but not Air) by sticking with the 19 inch comfy riding wheels is tempting but do they detract from the feedback and handling as opposed to the 20 inch?

PNYRXGF8...

thanks for your thoughts!
Welcome. I've gone for an S and stuck with the standard 20's (with PASM but no air). The general rule seems to be 20's will offer the best option for road noise and ride comfort. Personally I would say from a looks perspective I wouldn't go below 20 (personally). I'm new to Porsche too and have only driven Macan with 20 and 21 inch wheels, and TBH couldn't tell any difference but one was a Gen 2 and one was a Gen 3 so that may have had an impact

I believe the Base Macan has had some excellent reviews and is a perfectly good car. UItimately they all look pretty much identical and are all capable of getting you points on your license

Oh, and FYI, the constant 40mph brigade on the A272 (or the A285, between Petworth and Goodwood specifically), do my head in. The Base Macan should be just fine for passing the odd Jazz on the way out of Wisborough Green (unless your specific bit of the 272 is the other side of Billingshurst)
Last edited by Deleted User 4436 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure how well the old age (57) will be received on here :lol: :lol:

I preferred the look of the 20" wheels and find the ride comfy enough.

I also only require enough power to get past the many slow drivers who think that 45mph is fast enough in the country :roll: :roll: :roll:
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Personally i dont think there is anything wrong with the 19" wheels visually, and i'd even say you dont need PASM with them (unless you want to be able to firm things up from time to time) -- even with a 20" wheel you've still got 106mm of tyre wall height that'll flex on cornering, turn in etc.

I'd also question a few of your other choices; appreciate these are always personal or buyers working to a final budget figure..

black tail pipes must be one of Porsche' biggest earners - £500 lol! A can of high temperature paint is £20 and gives 90% the same effect, and black tips still show dirt and tarnishing
wireless charging - do you really spend that much time in the car to need this ? Even when playing music from the phone continuously my iphone last 4-5 hours. The option of a usb cable is hardly obstructive.
Bose - debatable how much difference it really makes, those that have it will say it does, those without it are happy with the stock system - again unless you spend tens of hours a week at the wheel its not a necessary option

There you go, saved you nearly £3k lol!
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Percymon wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm Personally i dont think there is anything wrong with the 19" wheels visually, and i'd even say you dont need PASM with them (unless you want to be able to firm things up from time to time) -- even with a 20" wheel you've still got 106mm of tyre wall height that'll flex on cornering, turn in etc.

I'd also question a few of your other choices; appreciate these are always personal or buyers working to a final budget figure..

black tail pipes must be one of Porsche' biggest earners - £500 lol! A can of high temperature paint is £20 and gives 90% the same effect, and black tips still show dirt and tarnishing
wireless charging - do you really spend that much time in the car to need this ? Even when playing music from the phone continuously my iphone last 4-5 hours. The option of a usb cable is hardly obstructive.
Bose - debatable how much difference it really makes, those that have it will say it does, those without it are happy with the stock system - again unless you spend tens of hours a week at the wheel its not a necessary option

There you go, saved you nearly £3k lol!
with regard to the wireless charging, I have also seen reviews that say if you have one of the larger iPhones it wont fit in the charger unless you take it out of its case
hood69

Post by hood69 »

20 inch wheels will set the car off
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I would drop the model deletion. Whenever I see it I think "couldn't afford a better spec" whereas I never even notice a base model. In your case the spec is better than the majority of Macans on the road.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Firstly, OY‼️ Don’t come boasting that your 57 🤨 Some here have socks older than that 😖.
Re your config, actually think the wheel colour and design look great against the Gentian blue paintwork and the handling will be fine. You have all the most useful options, I personally would add extended leather and there are a few bits I might drop but we are all different. See you have a tow bar, I’m guessing it’s for a small trailer?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 4607

Post by Deleted User 4607 »

Hi Mike - no tow bar is for a bike rack for my MTB
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Dodsley wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:23 pm Hi Mike - no tow bar is for a bike rack for my MTB
👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6