New Joiner to the Forum

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

bobajob wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:13 pm My daily commute is 5 miles each way, temp does get up to 90c. I don't take the Macan every day but it does get used for this journey. Do longer trips at the weekends / holidays. No DPF issues so far!
You have been lucky . I had no problems with my 2014 SD or 2015 SD until they “updated” the engine management software in 2017. I swapped the 2015 SD for a new 2018 67 plate SD but it never seemed to regen on long runs and would invariably go into limp mode the day after a long run . I got rid of it last year.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Really loving how well built Porches are sounding. I put 160,000 miles on my Freelander diesel, including driving my wife to work every day which was about 2 miles each way. Same in the diesel Audi before it. Never a grumble from either. And the internet seems to think the Freelenader is the worlds most unreliable car. Based on dodgy diesels, leaking sunroofs, bad drive train Porsche sound absolutely crap!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

bobajob wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:13 pm My daily commute is 5 miles each way, temp does get up to 90c.
Water or oil temp?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:37 am Really loving how well built Porches are sounding. I put 160,000 miles on my Freelander diesel, including driving my wife to work every day which was about 2 miles each way. Same in the diesel Audi before it. Never a grumble from either. And the internet seems to think the Freelenader is the worlds most unreliable car. Based on dodgy diesels, leaking sunroofs, bad drive train Porsche sound absolutely crap!
Omni, did your Freelander have a DPF? 🤔 Or the Audi? I think the DPF is the issue here, regarding the Macan SD. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 4436

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:53 am
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:37 am Really loving how well built Porches are sounding. I put 160,000 miles on my Freelander diesel, including driving my wife to work every day which was about 2 miles each way. Same in the diesel Audi before it. Never a grumble from either. And the internet seems to think the Freelenader is the worlds most unreliable car. Based on dodgy diesels, leaking sunroofs, bad drive train Porsche sound absolutely crap!
Omni, did your Freelander have a DPF? 🤔 Or the Audi? I think the DPF is the issue here, regarding the Macan SD. :geek:
Sorry, Bad mood. I should probably look but not touch on the forum when I’m especially grumpy
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Hi Neilly

Welcome to our friendly forum.

I've got an SD I bought new in March 2016. I'm on 83,000 miles now and never had a DPF problem. My commute is 12 miles each way with a couple of trips of around 100 miles a week. Only issue I've had is the usual transfer box replacement under warranty so look out for that.

The car feels like new still and feels like it has another 100k in it. Good luck with your search, there's a lot of nice SD's about. Your biggest headache will be comparing spec- there's no 2 the same :lol:

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Re Freelander, pre Euro 6 absolutely no problems with DPF regen. Introduction of new ingenium engine, poor software development and a following host of other quality issues led to the unenviable title. Find a good pre 2015 SD4 and it will run for years. Just now not ULEZ compliant. Sometimes “New” is simply not Better.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 4436

MikeM wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:15 am
Re Freelander, pre Euro 6 absolutely no problems with DPF regen. Introduction of new ingenium engine, poor software development and a following host of other quality issues led to the unenviable title. Find a good pre 2015 SD4 and it will run for years. Just now not ULEZ compliant. Sometimes “New” is simply not Better.
Yep, mine was a 54 plate. In all fairness though, the sunroof may just as well have been left open all the time. Leaked like a sieve
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi Neilly and welcome to our forum.

Wing Commander always describes it as a friendly forum and despite a few grumpy comments on this thread it usually is.

The Macan was launched in 2014 and the SD was one of the early cars that complied with Euro 6 emission requirements. To achieve this it's fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Short journeys where the engine (and in particular the oil) don't get fully warmed up can cause problems. Once the DPF starts to clog up (non technical term) it goes into regeneration mode to burn off the residue. If the engine is not warmed up then regen mode wont start and if the journey is insufficiently long then the process cannot complete. This is what leads to problems.

The engine in the SD is rock solid and, DPF issues apart, will last you for hundreds of thousands of miles. Until it was withdrawn by Porsche, the SD was the most popular Macan model so there a lot of them about. A potential problem with all Macans upto around 2019 is the transfer box. This controls how much drive goes to each axle. Check whether it has been changed on any car you're looking at or, if it is a 2018/19 model that it has the seven year warranty.

A small number of forum members (including me) had problems with the AdBlue supply system. This can be expensive to fix.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel