Advice for a Newbie please

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4749

Post by Deleted User 4749 »

thanks all...are both in the same C02 bracket?

pmg

Post by pmg »

HPC Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:41 am

Hugely undecide about S v Base...any views on the Base with a Sports Exhaust?
I think you will struggle to find a base with sports exhaust as a demonstrator and I do not think many forum members have one.

With PP filters on all recent cars, I would not bother spending £1700 on sports exhaust. But then I am of the view the quieter a car is the better it is. Your eco kids should also be happier.

I have only driven a Gen 1 base and since then they have reportedly improved in both power and flexibility. In practice is UK South East traffic, the S just gives you more refinement. I too live in West Sussex and rarely get the opportunity to use anything like full power. The base will not save you much in petrol costs as in practice you will be at higher revs than in an S. one advantage of going for the base is a shorter time to delivery at most OPC's
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As a town car the base is fine, going from A to B on the open road you will be stuck in the traffic but if that is not an issue for you then fine.

If you expect to tow a caravan then that will be heavy going in a base and very heaving going uphill, I drove a base (not towing) up Dunmail Raise in the Lake District and a very heavy right foot was needed to go up the road to the summit, as it was going up from Ambleside to Kirkstone Pass, it did it, but it was far from effortless.

As long as you accept the limitations the base engine gives to the driving pleasure of a Macan then fine.

What I cannot follow is the inclusion of PSE in the base, it is a useless piece of kit whose best feature is the off button, imo you would be best dropping that and using the cash in an S build.

Only you can decide.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4749

thanks All..maybe the S would be better...just need to de badge it and get the brake calipers painted black and my kids & wife would be no wiser!
Deleted User 4749

thanks Col...whats the PSE?
davlewis

Post by davlewis »

Hi,

I have an base on order (should be here soon-ish). I like you were debating between the base / s. Coming from my X3 M40i (more or less exact same performance as a Gen 3 S) as much as I love the performance and the sound I find myself never being able to deploy even half of the available power. (even when over taking .. blink and i'm well and truly past and well in excess of the speed limits). I personally just don't see the need for the extra power of the S (as amazing as it would be to have). On my test drive of a Gen 2 base I actually did do an overtake on a B road and it was more than capable, and lets not forget its although its a "base 2.0l booo" its still not a slow cat .. its just slower than an S !
- Macan Volcano Grey / Bordeaux Red Interior
- First time Porsche Owner
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

That's a big spec for a base model - plowing 30% more on options is overkill (albeit your money and choices) .

With £60k to splash i think i'd be starting with an S and seeing what i could compromise on - Porsche charging £548 for black exhaust over the standard stainless (that you've already paid for the metal content) is ludicrous, as is £169 for a black badge. If you are worried about the eco warriors then debadge it.

Dropping the black tailpipe, debadging (no cost) and the 75litre fuel tank saves you £800, so without those an S is only £2.5k more than the base; and will have better residuals and more driver involvement over the ownership period.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Had a 2.0 when the turbo went on my 992 so direct comparison with her S

It was fine most of the time and you can overtake but maybe one car not 2 and therefore bit more thought process required for a lorry….

Like others have said I may drop some toys to get the S - the new S is nicer than our Gen 2 S
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Get the S and you will never regret it. Get the Base and you may... :oops:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Percymon wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:48 pm That's a big spec for a base model - plowing 30% more on options is overkill (albeit your money and choices) .

With £60k to splash i think i'd be starting with an S and seeing what i could compromise on - Porsche charging £548 for black exhaust over the standard stainless (that you've already paid for the metal content) is ludicrous, as is £169 for a black badge. If you are worried about the eco warriors then debadge it.

Dropping the black tailpipe, debadging (no cost) and the 75litre fuel tank saves you £800, so without those an S is only £2.5k more than the base; and will have better residuals and more driver involvement over the ownership period.
And larger wheels, PASM as standard and cheaper leather options over the prices on a Base should you choose them.

Personally I would keep the larger fuel tank.