Advice for a Newbie please

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4749

Post by Deleted User 4749 »

Hi All - I have been stalking this really great forum for a number on months and picked up some great advice! Placed my order early September so hoping for a lock down in the New Year

Despite Col's (and other GTS /Turbo owners) clear distain for the Base Macan, like others, I'm sorely tempted over the S for the following reasons:

I'm looking for a everyday drive which majors of great feedback and driving experience and as long as I can make 'decent headway' when required I'm not interested (anymore) in straight line speed or 0_60 times. Until September I drove a car which would 'keep up' with a GTS/Turbo but rarely used the power on my local roads in West Sussex. Somebody local to me on this forum also made the point that you only need enough power to get past Honda Jazz's in Sussex.

I'm not a fan of the Q5 as I don't like the feedback / ride or the interior...the Alfa felt like all Alfa's i.e. so much promise but ultimately hugely disappointing hence the Macan which is just an un-beatable great all-round car.

So my questions:
Is the base really that bad? On my test drive I felt it pulled surprisingly well mid range...I was surprised how well it went....however I will mis a decent sound, hence...
Is it childish to spec the sports exhaust on a 2.0L - does it make a difference to the 2.0l sound? Does the cheaper quad exhaust sound any better than the nasty base exhaust?
My Spec is PNPSQ5X9 - anything I should delete or add? Ideally I would like to reduce the extras but as this is a long term car then I don't want to spend the next 10 years wishing I had included something!

thanks for any advice (even Col's) :D

Deleted User 4749

One other question....if I went for an 'S' is there anyway I could spec a base 'Macan' badge on the rear...it would keep my Eco Warrior kids slightly happier!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The main thing the 2L Macan lacks compared to S or GTS is overtaking ability. Whilst someone has apparently said that you only need the power to get past a Honda Jazz in your part of the world, it doesn't matter whether it's an Arial Atom, Caterham 7 or Honda Jazz as it's length of vehicle and speed it's being driven at which determine how much road you need to safely pass it. It's the second vehicle that starts a traffic queue. If you're content to be that vehicle because you need a longer straight to safely overtake then fine. I've only driven a Gen 1 2L so I can't comment on the current model but around town and on lightly trafficked roads it's OK but it does use the gearbox more than it's larger engined brothers.

You've also specced the towbar. There are loads of 2L tow cars around but they're a real PITA on hilly single carriageway roads when the engine is struggling to maintain speed with a heavy van. In case you have any doubts, I'm not a caravan lover :D
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Unfortunately I have never driven the 2.0 base Macan however I believe it is the same engine as used in VW / Audi. We have an Audi TT with the same engine (I think!) and it is a very fast car. Obviously the Macan is heavier and you would be better having a test drive to make sure that it is fine for you.

Porsche don't make slow cars :D :D

Many Porsche owners like to boast about BHP but strangely enough on the road you rarely see a Porsche being driven fast :? :? :?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 am Unfortunately I have never driven the 2.0 base Macan however I believe it is the same engine as used in VW / Audi. We have an Audi TT with the same engine (I think!) and it is a very fast car. Obviously the Macan is heavier and you would be better having a test drive to make sure that it is fine for you.

Porsche don't make slow cars :D :D

Many Porsche owners like to boast about BHP but strangely enough on the road you rarely see a Porsche being driven fast :? :? :?
Yes it's the same engine as in VW/Audi but that engine comes in a large range of tune. For example, my wife's Tiguan has the 2L engine at 180hp and the Golf R uses the same engine rated at 316hp. Don't know what the Audi TT version is rated at.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Having driven both back to back, they're both great, but, and no disrespect to others choices here, considering you are going to be spending a lot of money in the first place, you'll never like regret buying an S or a GTS. Could that happen with a base?!?

2.9 litres comfortably pulling as opposed to 2.0 litres straining as soon as you put extra weight in the car.

I am currently running a 1.4 Q3 which is superb and plenty powerful with just me in the car. Put in passengers and or luggage and it's not so much fun.

As for eco, well unless you're doing 30k miles per year the difference in economy is barely any different (again that is in my opinion and I know opinions will vary) as per RFL and insurance.
Deleted User 4749

Thanks On Track

I have hopefully used all the advice on the Forum to build the ultimate spec! Tow bar is for a Bike rack...never a trailer or Caravan!

With regard to your observation on mid range overtaking, you are right...I used to own an Audi R8 (weekend car) and a Golf R 310 as an everyday car...both I suspect have more mid range performance than either a Base or an S, both these cars have flaws with I hope the Macan overcomes...ie R8...hugely impractical and too fast to really enjoy...the Golf R uncomfortable on long journeys and always gets picked on by Audi and BMW drivers.

Hugely undecide about S v Base...any views on the Base with a Sports Exhaust?
Deleted User 4325

I was initially looking at a base this time last year but by the time you add on 'nice' bits you get to an S price and then once the drug that the Confuserator releases into your brain kicks in you end up ordering a GTS anyways!!!!

That's what happened to me!!!!!
Deleted User 4325

A bit like popping a tube of Pringles!!!!!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

HPC Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:41 am Thanks On Track

I have hopefully used all the advice on the Forum to build the ultimate spec! Tow bar is for a Bike rack...never a trailer or Caravan!

With regard to your observation on mid range overtaking, you are right...I used to own an Audi R8 (weekend car) and a Golf R 310 as an everyday car...both I suspect have more mid range performance than either a Base or an S, both these cars have flaws with I hope the Macan overcomes...ie R8...hugely impractical and too fast to really enjoy...the Golf R uncomfortable on long journeys and always gets picked on by Audi and BMW drivers.

Hugely undecide about S v Base...any views on the Base with a Sports Exhaust?
So a tricky choice but my two penneth as follows:
The base is an expensive car for a two litre but offers very little advantage IMO over an S. They are both within a couple of MPG of each other and that should have been the big difference (but it’s not).
Insurance costs are surprisingly similar and you get a bit more kit for the extra buck on the S, as well as a V6 soundtrack and all the power you will ever need for both practical purposes but also for fun!
If purchase price is the barrier then stick with base but if you can stretch to S then no brained for me.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0