Hi from a Newbie

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

rjberry wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:16 am
MikeM wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:09 pm Welcome, what else is on your list and when do you want it by?
The list is organic but other options include the X3 or iX3, Defender and maybe the XC60.

We have three children, 8, 9 and 11, so need something that can fit them in the back and have room in the boot too.

Timeframe is not an issue. I’m prepared to wait for a car so long as it’s the right car.
The Macan is a great car indeed but as already stated with three growing children in the back and if you plan on keeping it for a few years? Certainly do-able but centre rear seat isn’t a great place to be for any longer journey. I’d be using the XC60 as the benchmark. Wouldn’t touch a new BMW, rather go low mileage used and let first owner take the horrendous depreciation hit. Try also RX450H, underrated and not a sports drive, but neither is a Defender! Will take all you need to carry with a family of five, hugely comfortable and will probably never let you down. Lexus front grill a bit naff though, but then so is BMW.🙄
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

rjberry

Post by rjberry »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:34 am
MikeM wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:09 pm Welcome, what else is on your list and when do you want it by?
The list is organic but other options include the X3 or iX3, Defender and maybe the XC60.

We have three children, 8, 9 and 11, so need something that can fit them in the back and have room in the boot too.

Timeframe is not an issue. I’m prepared to wait for a car so long as it’s the right car.
I wouldn't think a Macan has enough space for 2 plus 3 near teenagers unless you add a roof box or trailer.
This is the problem we’re facing.

We don’t do much long distance travel so we wouldn’t want to get the bigger car for what may only be a few journeys. I would rather hire something for the one off events or just get taxis / train to the airport etc.

I want something that can fit the kids if needed but still compact enough to be nip out on a daily basis.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense…
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

On-Track wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:11 am

Welcome to the forum.

You'll be able to fit your three children in the back of a Macan but if it's for frequent long journeys then the one in the middle will feel short changed. If my wife and I go away for a one to two week break we can fill the boot with luggage so five in the car plus luggage for much more than a weekend break is probably not on. The Macan is an SUV but the emphasis is on the "Sports". If your prime need is "Utility" then the Cayenne is the better choice from the Porsche range.
I’d prefer “Sports” to “Utility” that’s for sure :D

I’m glad to hear there’s room in the back. For years we’ve struggled with finding big enough back seats. Three young children in chunky car seats is the death sentence for 99% of cars; those that are left can sap the soul.

We only occasionally do long trips so we just need something that works for the mundane journeys.
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

Highflyer99 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:27 am In all honesty my initial thoughts were not big enough ,
As others have said it depends on the journey time with the kids and how big your children are …

I’ve been a third rear seat passenger in a macan on a 150+ mile journey and it was snug was fine for a one off but not the best long term ..as previously said the Macan is sports biased , I would probably say you need to go up a class Cayenne , X5 , Q7 etc .

If you can I would try and organise a trip to your nearest OPC with the kids to see if the ‘glove fits’ …

Good luck…. :)
Fortunately we have small children so they don’t take up much space now we’ve only got two on boosters.

Our nearest OPC is about 60 miles away, hence why I’m trying to satisfy my space issues. It sounds like it may work though so a trip in the new year will have to be arranged.
rjberry

Post by rjberry »

MikeM wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:56 am

The Macan is a great car indeed but as already stated with three growing children in the back and if you plan on keeping it for a few years? Certainly do-able but centre rear seat isn’t a great place to be for any longer journey. I’d be using the XC60 as the benchmark. Wouldn’t touch a new BMW, rather go low mileage used and let first owner take the horrendous depreciation hit. Try also RX450H, underrated and not a sports drive, but neither is a Defender! Will take all you need to carry with a family of five, hugely comfortable and will probably never let you down. Lexus front grill a bit naff though, but then so is BMW.🙄
I always go into a new car expecting it to be around for a few years but the reality is about an 18 month lifetime. Nearly new often works for this scenario to avoid that initial hit.

I’ve not considered the Lexus so will look into that too, thanks!
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Hi,
I got my Macan when my kids were 13,11 and 9. We had an XC90 followed by a Kia Sorrento as our 'family' car and the kids were only loaded into the Macan occasionally. It's fair to say that they hated it when we were all in it. I have my seat quite far back so the kid behind me was cramped and the one in the middle was not in a comfortable place. There is a massive difference between having 2 kids and 3, and in my opinion the Macan simply isn't roomy enough as a main car. Absolutely loved it, but as main family car it will lead to squabbling in the back over who sits in the middle, who is straying into the other's territory etc. And if you have 2 booster seats then the kid in the middle will not be a happy camper (that's if he/she can even get their belt on!).
My Cayenne on the the other hand is different league room wise, but it's also 19 cm longer and 6cm wider and probably not great to live with if a lot of your driving is pottering around locally

I find this website helpful to look at comparable dimensions of vehicles https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )