Help me get my first Porsche please!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
TonyS123

Post by TonyS123 »

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Porsche itself and to this forum. I am replacing my Mercedes GLA, and the Porsche Macan seems like a nice upgrade! I went into my local-ish dealer (Silverstone) today and finally got to see one from the inside. They look fantastic! I am thinking of going for the S model and I have the following spec.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNKM21C3

I was hoping I would be able to get some of your views on the spec please? As mentioned, I'm a newbie to Porsche, and it can be quite overwhelming with so many options, so some helpful input would be greatly appreciated!

I was quoted a Q3 delivery time and was told that no discounts are available. Has anyone been able to get any discounts and and can you share how to do this please? If no discounts, could I potentially get some extras thrown in? Or is there a chance to get the interest rate reduced on a PCP?

Many thanks everyone - I appreciate you taking the time to help!

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Welcome. I’ve not been on the forum for a long time but it is very helpful. I have updated my spec many times and close to where I want it to be. If you’ve been offered Q3 in the same year of order that is very good.

The spec you choose is very personal but from a GLA this is quite an upgrade :) so any Macan I would think will seem great. I would question the comfort access you’ve added. One of things I love about the standard access is that there is a place other than a storage area for the key, and even more important it can’t be cloned by the thieves that read the data from a key and then proceed to steal it!
Macan S MY 2023
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

I'm sure you'll love it!
My only query would be whether you need the Bose upgrade to the sound system?
I love bose and use it at home - but I have the standard system in my Macan and it suits me perfectly :-)
I do have the insulated/laminated glass though - so perhaps that helps?
If you've had a test drive with the standard system and aren't happy with it then of course disregard my comment! :-)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

A pretty good spec for a newbie to the marque.

Suggestions:-
Omit, the tyre sealing compound and compressor

Add, spare wheel which includes a compressor, then buy a couple if cans of sealant.
This will give you options, please before you say I have never had a puncture, I have had five in the last six years of Macan ownership so if ever there is a Must Have option it is a spare wheel.

Omit, Comfort access, these systems are hackable.

Omit, Illuminated Door Sill Guards. I had these on Macan number 1, if there is ever a pointless accessory it is these which you only see at night for a few seconds as you open the car and get in.

Comments
I am a fan of and use mine a lot, heated steering wheel, its worth every penny.

75 litre fuel tank, well worth adding, it used to be a no cost option.

The interior can be very dark and many add a Pano roof just to lighten the interior, myself included. Your SE may well say it is also a desirable feature for resale, so discuss the spec with them.

Btw your spec if adjustable up until you lock it down with your OPC, but do not lock it down until you need to as until lockdown your deposit us fully refundable.

Finally you get a free session at Porsche’s PEC at Silverstone, do take the chance and go if at all possible.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Hi Tony, Im similar to yourself and only paid my deposit early December.
Being optimistic Im expecting July/August as that's what OPC has said.
My build spec isn't too dissimilar to yours. www.porsche-code.com/PNA7L6I7
As already mentioned what you want from your car is very specific to you but this forum has helped me choose my spec by teaching me about some of the options that are worth having.
This maybe my last high performance ICE so Ive possibly over optioned it, but you only live once!
A test drive is also a great way to find out what you want.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome Tony. Have you got a spare wheel with your GLA? If so, how many times have you had to use it?

I have not had a spare wheel in my last seven newly specified cars, including two Macans. The chances of getting a puncture are low. The majority are slow punctures caused by a nail or screw penetration. That being the case you can "limp" - max 50 mph and no sudden steering or braking - to your nearest tyre depot. If in doubt, then enroute add some air at the nearest petrol station.

If it is a complete loss of pressure, and the tyre is flat, then getting a jack under the car may not be easy. The Macan is a 2 ton beast to lift and so getting the jacking point located is essential to prevent under body damage. The wheel nuts may be difficult to "crack" just using the car's standard wheel wrench. The alloy wheel / tyre assembly is heavy and mucky. If you do succeed in getting it off, then where do you store it if the car is full of people and luggage? All this assumes that you can do it in a place of safely and / or it's not night time. No, I would much rather call Porsche Assist [AA] or a local mobile tyre fitter.

I say all this having spent many years working in the tyre industry and having covered hundereds of thousands of miles, by car, in my life time. I have never had a deflation that left me stranded, but I have had a number of slow punctures over the years. Modern TPMS systems are now excellent at alerting you.

Many other spares are no longer carried on board - fuel can, light bulbs, alternator belt etc.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m planning on carrying a spare for someone else to change the wheel :D. What I don’t want is a service to come out and force me to take an expensive tyre that’s not Porsche recommended and affect warranty.

I’d never use or allow to be used one of those stupid scissor jacks. Once had a car fall off of one :(
Macan S MY 2023
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:44 pm I’m planning on carrying a spare for someone else to change the wheel :D. What I don’t want is a service to come out and force me to take an expensive tyre that’s not Porsche recommended and affect warranty.

I’d never use or allow to be used one of those stupid scissor jacks. Once had a car fall off of one :(
Porsche Assist (AA) carry a range of temporary spare wheels and don't need yours. Failing that they will recover the car.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Oh, I didn’t know that. That’s very good. On that topic, if you ever needed a wheel repaired do Porsche offer ‘loan’ wheels even if steel?
Macan S MY 2023
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Skyway wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:44 pm I’m planning on carrying a spare for someone else to change the wheel :D. What I don’t want is a service to come out and force me to take an expensive tyre that’s not Porsche recommended and affect warranty.

I'm with you. I was stuck in France without a spare and had to wait 3 days for a small town garage to source a replacement tyre at a cost of £500. If I'd been able to get to the nearest large town I could have changed it same day for half the cost.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6