New here. Not an owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

THHGTTG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:50 am
Didipots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:39 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 pm

I can definitely see that. I consider myself a Petrol-head, and have owned cars from Aston Martin, Porsche ( obvs ), BMW, Audi, Mercedes and I’ve also owned motor bikes. If I lived in London I personally wouldn’t own a car but obviously don’t know the OP’s personal circumstances. Not sure I’d chose a macan for London driving but if the OP is set on getting one I think the 2 litre offers identical looks and interior and plenty of horses for sitting in traffic jams.
I'm really surprised you all seem to be able to enjoy life outside London. Big reality check for me. I thought some of you might be in London traffic too.

For me having a car is a must. Family and 3 disabled family members don't give me much of an option. I can't have a really small one either.

I used to rent cars for fun during summer, but prices got absurd. Also, my last experience hiring a Taycan just made me think the risks are too high.

That's the 5% out of the city driving I get.
Still not sure the macan is a good fit though. As many reviews point out its not all that large in the back and the middle seat isn’t very usable. Obviously I don’t know the nature of the disabilities but my wife struggles to get in the Macan and that’s with comfort seats. I struggled to get in the ones with sport seats ( the side bolsters are really high ). If its a car you’ve always wanted I really don’t want to dissuade you but if its one in a list it may not be the best choice. Again, for clarity, we don’t know all of your circumstances.

If you do go for a macan here are some of my thoughts for a predominantly London based one:

> avoid 21” wheels. They look better but comfort will be more of a requirement than handling. You’re also a lot less likely to kerb 20” wheels ( or 19” if you can handle the aesthetics)

> no need at all for sport chrono

> don’t bother with air suspension. As I understand it the PASM controls comfort levels and air control pitch and roll for when you want to drive like a spanner. Not something you’ll use a lot in London.

> Surround view camera will be an absolute essential

> power steering plus will be an absolute essential unless you want to look like popeye after a few months. This can be retro-fitted on pre Gen 3 cars though if its missing from what you buy

> active cruise control is, surprisingly, an essential too. It works really well in traffic but, most importantly it has all the safety braking features like pedestrian avoidance.

> heated steering wheel and heated screen are probably not required in the few really frosty days a year you’ll get in London ( unless you need a heated steering wheel for circulation issues )

> sports exhaust is probably a bad idea. If anywhere is going to introduce sound controls it will be London. Plus you’ll seldom get the benefit of lots of revs.

> PDLS+ is never worth the money ( but get PDLS if possible ). That said I suppose it never gets dark in London.

> avoid sport seats like the plague. They are quite hard, have very high and uncomfortable bolsters and will give you back ache. The 14 way comfort seats are like sitting in your favourite arm chair. Perfect for London driving. You also wont need the extra bolstering for driving around town. They do look marginally better though

> BOSE, personal preference. It the one thing I really regret not getting.

Hope that helps. As ever the usual caveats that this is all just opinion. Ultimately try and drive a few and see what works best for you.
Thanks for the time for all the advice.

I do like a car with good sound. So I feel BOSE would be a must too.

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Welcome OP

Sorry about all the 'sound' advice you are getting from people questioning your need for a car, let alone a Macan :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Tracky wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:31 am Welcome OP

Sorry about all the 'sound' advice you are getting from people questioning your need for a car, let alone a Macan :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
:D thanks a lot. Yeah, ended up having to share a bit more about personal circumstances. But all good
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Just walk. It’s what I do in London.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Just move out of London, would have saved a few hours of your life having to explain on here why you want a car :D
I think the Macan would be a pretty decent car for driving around London.
Be careful how much notice you take on folks views on options, some come up with the strangest reasons for liking them. Think the best one was up above just, powersteering plus is essential if you don't want to look like popeye :? Bizarre!

Good luck in your search.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Rarecolour wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:49 pm
Be careful how much notice you take on folks views on options, some come up with the strangest reasons for liking them. Think the best one was up above just, powersteering plus is essential if you don't want to look like popeye :? Bizarre!

To be fair that is the same guy that threw up driving himself at the PEC, I mean really….
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Tracky wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:46 pm

To be fair that is the same guy that threw up driving himself at the PEC, I mean really….

Ha ha, that was classic.
Air suspension would be perfect around London, nice and comfortable over the speed bumps, and then change to sport mode if going out into the country.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Rarecolour wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:35 pm

Ha ha, that was classic.
Air suspension would be perfect around London, nice and comfortable over the speed bumps, and then change to sport mode if going out into the country.
agreed re suspension and that will be why most of the private hire 'limos' around London will have air eg s class etc
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Nella

Post by Nella »

21” look epic and will only get kerbed if you drive into the kerb which can happen with any size wheel/tyre?!?!?

Surround view is super to help with that but still be careful.

Sun roof nice I guess if you’re sat in the back but I always sit in the front so would know if it was there or not! Also possibility of Porsche tax for getting the drains cleaned out?!!

Air suspension/pasm combo is wonderful. Beautiful ride. Hunkers down if you want to drive quickly and, we have found this week, raises up nicely to traverse tracks in the country. Never felt sick or anything remotely near even going round bends at testing speeds.

Not a fan of ACC as would rather be in control myself and stay aware of what is going on in front of me.

Sold on heated screen and steering wheel. Used them a few times after picking up the car in March and was happy I had specced them.

As much leather as you can get as it just makes the inside feel extra special.

But basically go for what suits you and what you want.

And I hope you have as much fun as we are having with ours.
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

😂 That's funny. I don't mind any opinions. My focus will be understanding if the car drives well and smoothly in town and if it could make any sense having it for this purpose.