New arrival (hopefully) / Purchase advice

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dave29

Post by Dave29 »

Hi,

Hopefully about to join the community - planning to pull the trigger on a Macan tomorrow after 10 years of 997.1 ownership (which is staying alongside)

Before I 'press go' keen to test the forum's experience on whether a 2016 Diesel S (49k with 1 owner and FPSH) is a good way to go? The spec is awesome (Chrono, BOSE, sports exhaust, PSAM) which is what has swayed me toward this example (having previously said I wouldn't go diesel and was looking for a petrol S).

I've learnt, however, that every model has it's inherent weaknesses and occasionally wished I'd asked first...so are there any hidden gremlins/must knows about buying a 2016 year diesel?

Thanks in advance,
David

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hello and welcome to our Forum.

The SD is a good all rounder and goes and handles well for a 2 ton SUV. Try and get an extended test drive to make sure it suits you.

The transfer box is a weakness. Has it been replaced? The OPC will know.

Repeared short trips, when the oil does not get up to 90C, can cause DPF problems.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dave29

Post by Dave29 »

thanks - done a decent test drive, and to be honest, it felt like a new car

not checked detail of service history (yet) but will check transfer box

car is coming with 3 year comprehensive warranty which will allow me to use OPC for works

noted re. DPF - coming out of a 3.0 D X5 which has been okay given it's used quite hard and often get a proper run...Macan will do same job
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Quite a few here have had or have an SD.

Transfer Box and DPF not getting a regen are the two issues to take note of.

The SD runs best around Town in Sport mode, on Mways comfort mode is fine.

Expect the MPG in the MFD to read c10% higher than actual.

My one gripe about the SD engine was that it runs out of go, and it was one of the reasons that I moved away from my SD.

You drive the Beamer 30 D which is a better engine than is in a Macan but what the Macan SD should have had was an engine with the same characteristics as the Beamer 35 D which is a beast of an engine.

Do give it a good test drive, in comfort mode get to a constant 50 mph and floor it, note the pick up and acceleration.

Repeat in Sport mode

Repeat again in Sport+ mode

PSE in an SD gives a wet fart sort of sound to the exhaust, its different.

Do get an actual printout of the as built Spec and post an image of it here, in 2016 there were changes to the Macan, what was optional, some things became standard, the VIN number at an OPC can be used for them to see the as built spec and hence give you a printout. If they say they cannot walk away.

Avoid any Macan with Halogen headlights, you will be better off at night with a couple of LED torches duct taped to the bonnet the halogens are that bad.

Good luck
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dave29

Post by Dave29 »

Thanks Col Lamb - helpful advice

Car drove faultlessly on test drive in all modes

Spec: BOSE, Sport Classic Wheels, Black exterior package, Privacy Glass, Black roof rails, Pan roof, Sports Exhaust, Sport Design Pack, 14 way comfort seats, PDLS, LED rear lights, PASM, PSM, Sport Chrono

know what you mean about the exhaust, but it's an improvement over standard noise (and I've got my loud 997 for proper sound)
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Dave29 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:56 am Thanks Col Lamb - helpful advice

Car drove faultlessly on test drive in all modes

Spec: BOSE, Sport Classic Wheels, Black exterior package, Privacy Glass, Black roof rails, Pan roof, Sports Exhaust, Sport Design Pack, 14 way comfort seats, PDLS, LED rear lights, PASM, PSM, Sport Chrono

know what you mean about the exhaust, but it's an improvement over standard noise (and I've got my loud 997 for proper sound)
Very similar spec to mine, I've had it since March 2016 and 104,000 miles.

I'd say go for it- great car in my opinion. The PSE does sound great, needs good revs for a rorty sound though. I tend to drive mine in Sports+ full time, keeps the revs up and sounds great. Only problems I've ever had in 7 years were transfer box like most owners, blocked pano roof drains(ask if they've been fixed by cutting the ends), split Adblu pipe, and failed PDLS unit. All fixed under warranty.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Dave29

Post by Dave29 »

thanks for the feedback

just checked with OPC and it doe have full service and transfer box replaced under warranty in 2020
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Do take note of what I said about Halogen headlights.

Xenons will look like this, if the Macan you interested in does not have these Do Not buy.

Depending upon when in 2016 it was built LED’s could have been available as an option.

MacanS.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:00 pm Do take note of what I said about Halogen headlights.

Xenons will look like this, if the Macan you interested in does not have these Do Not buy.

Depending upon when in 2016 it was built LED’s could have been available as an option.

The halogens are fine provided you don’t drive at night 😳
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)