Roof Rails

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

Hi all
I have been lurking here since I took delivery of my lowish spec MY23 S late last year…

I did spec roof rails and am now looking to buy roof bars for a ski holiday planned in Feb.

Interestingly the Porsche branded bars retail at c£250 less a PCGB discount but the latest version from Thule appear to be c£350 . I suspect the Porsche bars are an old generation of the Thule product (like their bike carrier).

Does anybody have any advice on pros/ cons of either??
2023 Macan S

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

I learned a few cars back to get some decent Thule bars and just change the feet whenever I changed cars. Saved me money and also the pile of redundant bars in the shed.
I believe a lot of car branded bars are made by Thule anyway
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

There are/have been a few genuine Porsche roof bar sets on ebay and very reasonably priced . I have the Thule system on my Macan , the fitting kit is circa £50 and the feet are circa £95.
You can then choose either the plain square bars circa £50 , Wing bars circa £150 or the Slide bars circa £250. I think the Porsche setup is fairly basic whereas the Thule systems let you tailor the rack to whatever you want to carry. I've got the slidebar system for my kayak, the crossbars slide out about 600mm so it's easier to load and tie down whatever your carrying.
Just got back from a paddle this morning.

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:56 pm ....I've got the slidebar system for my kayak, the crossbars slide out about 600mm so it's easier to load and tie down whatever your carrying.
Just got back from a paddle this morning....
Looks good @Scooby_Doo. Without wishing to erm de-rail the thread, I have a Thule Hullavator for my Kayak - Just need the car to go with it :lol:
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

MooseMiller wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:49 pm
Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:56 pm ....I've got the slidebar system for my kayak, the crossbars slide out about 600mm so it's easier to load and tie down whatever your carrying.
Just got back from a paddle this morning....
Looks good @Scooby_Doo. Without wishing to erm de-rail the thread, I have a Thule Hullavator for my Kayak - Just need the car to go with it :lol:
The Porsche of roof bars ;) I did look at them but at circa £700 + I went for the slidebars, my kayak only weighs about 26kg and the Hullavator was getting a little bit close to the bodywork. :)
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:56 pm There are/have been a few genuine Porsche roof bar sets on ebay and very reasonably priced . I have the Thule system on my Macan , the fitting kit is circa £50 and the feet are circa £95.
You can then choose either the plain square bars circa £50 , Wing bars circa £150 or the Slide bars circa £250. I think the Porsche setup is fairly basic whereas the Thule systems let you tailor the rack to whatever you want to carry. I've got the slidebar system for my kayak, the crossbars slide out about 600mm so it's easier to load and tie down whatever your carrying.
Just got back from a paddle this morning.IMG_3029.JPGIMG_3028.JPG
Interesting thanks Scooby… I’m only planning to put ski’s on the roof so had thought the Porsche bars and then the Thule sliding Ski holders… did think a roof box might be a good idea for the mother in law in the future however lifting her in may be a challenge :mrgreen:
On a serious note can you tilt the sunroof with the bars in situ?
2023 Macan S
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I have the Thule wing bar, and it’s virtually silent even at motorway speeds.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

IPKnightly2 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:11 pm
Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:56 pm There are/have been a few genuine Porsche roof bar sets on ebay and very reasonably priced . I have the Thule system on my Macan , the fitting kit is circa £50 and the feet are circa £95.
Just got back from a paddle this morning.IMG_3029.JPGIMG_3028.JPG
Interesting thanks Scooby… I’m only planning to put ski’s on the roof so had thought the Porsche bars and then the Thule sliding Ski holders… did think a roof box might be a good idea for the mother in law in the future however lifting her in may be a challenge :mrgreen:
On a serious note can you tilt the sunroof with the bars in situ?
I Need a bigger box.
I haven't tried opening the sunroof , although I've meant to have a proper look at the clearance but keep forgetting (old age doesn't come on it's own) . My Macan was ex-demo and contrary to a lot of opinions on here the fitted sidesteps are brilliant when tying everything down on the roofrack.
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:56 pm .... my kayak only weighs about 26kg ...
Fair play to you to hoist 26kg up onto your roof rails
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:02 pm ....contrary to a lot of opinions on here the fitted sidesteps are brilliant when tying everything down on the roofrack.
Yep. Specced them on my forthcoming S for just that reason