New owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 pm Tow bar - the rear valance will either need cutting for the tow bar to prodtrude through or need the Porsche tow bar valance.

A retractable after market bar is available, but the valance will still need above.
That sounds about right Steve (and expensive!). Like I said, £500 sounds very cheap

PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Nice looking car, but without wanting to spoil the fun, make sure the tow bar fitment is viable and that an aftermarket tow bar won’t invalidate the official Porsche warranty if you want to go down the official warranty route.

I have read that Porsche will fit a factory tow bar for between £2K and £2.5K. I’m new to tow bars and understand that price is daylight robbery, but if this car is a really good buy and you really want it, you may have to suck it up.

Alternatively, look for an alternative car from within the OPC network. I don’t think many have a tow bar, but it might be a good bargaining point in your deal to get a tow bar fitted at a more reasonable price. You’ll get a full 2 year warranty as well with no hassle.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

You haven't said where you are buying this from (unless I missed it), i.e. is it from an OPC?
To be honest with you @s_barker, in my opinion and given the caravan requirement, I'd walk away from this one unless you can get some kind of assurance of price and warranty with a towbar fitment. You said it is a spur of the moment purchase; I'd maybe have a good think over it before you pull the trigger in any case. Lot of money and you don't want to have any regrets for sure

Just my 2p
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have the factory retractable tow bar and its a good piece of kit. However, the rear diffuser is completely different to other GEN 1 Macan GTS's so that will cost a bit on its own. I think the cost mentioned above of £2k to £2.5K is about right considering the diffuser, the actual tow bar, the wiring/coding plus Porsche extortionate labour.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
s_barker

Post by s_barker »

Spoke to a couple different places today. One place telling me my car isn't compatible and the 2nd place telling me it is and they fitted a towbar last week to one. Spoke to the dealer with my concerns as obviously the car will be pointless for my requirements without a towbar. They told me not to worry and they will sort something out for me for collection.
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

s_barker wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:05 pm Spoke to a couple different places today. One place telling me my car isn't compatible and the 2nd place telling me it is and they fitted a towbar last week to one. Spoke to the dealer with my concerns as obviously the car will be pointless for my requirements without a towbar. They told me not to worry and they will sort something out for me for collection.
Are you buying from an OPC?

Good luck and hope it all plays out well for you. Be sure to post back here with more pics
s_barker

Post by s_barker »

MooseMiller wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:20 pm
s_barker wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:05 pm Spoke to a couple different places today. One place telling me my car isn't compatible and the 2nd place telling me it is and they fitted a towbar last week to one. Spoke to the dealer with my concerns as obviously the car will be pointless for my requirements without a towbar. They told me not to worry and they will sort something out for me for collection.
Are you buying from an OPC?

Good luck and hope it all plays out well for you. Be sure to post back here with more pics
Yes I'm buying from opc
Chris skiz

Post by Chris skiz »

We had a towbar fitted to our Turbo with PP. Managed to get it supplied and fitted at OPC Leeds after some negotiation for just under £2k. Mines a 2017 and has an extended warranty. I went with the opc kit due to the warranty and coding needed. Porsche GB who I spoke to confirmed that an aftermarket would invalidate my warranty for any subsequent issue that could be attributed to an aftermarket one. It’s a great piece of kit to be fair and with the bar deployed the reversing camera has a line to help you line up with the hitch on the caravan! No more left a bit right a bit jiggling. Note though that your caravan fridge won’t have power when attached to the car. It’s a great tow car, stable and hauls our 1600kg van easily.
Your call but In my humble opinion bite the bullet and get the tequipment opc one. If the dealer has said they’ll sort it then great but do negotiate.
:D Gen 1 Macan turbo with PP
BMW E46 330d touring (tweaked :D )
05 and 03 R53 Mini Cooper S (both tweaked 05 one being converted to track day toy)
03 MX5 mk 2.5.
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Chris skiz wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:30 pm ....Note though that your caravan fridge won’t have power when attached to the car....
@Chris skiz - is there power to the ATC do you know? Read somewhere that it wasn't wired to the towbar electrics?
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

May help you @s_barker ...

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 20.52.53.png