Macans are about to be uninsurable!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Plyphon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:43 pm I'd love to get to the bottom of how they're getting into the cars. We never figured out how they got into my neighbours, but they've not come back for it either (thankfully an AirTag let them follow the car and pick it back up!).
That's what I would like to know. Slightly paranoid now that cars without keyless are just as vulnerable.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

robbie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:50 am
Noslouch wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 pm I think Macan thefts are almost entirely inside the M25 although there are a few in Gloucestershire.
Don’t understand any of this but presumably it depends where the “chop shops” are located??
Design is so old they must be stolen for parts??
Any reason behind singling out Gloucestershire, have I missed something here!!
Lots of money in The Cotswolds! 💰
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Well car theft is hardly new - it was around before keyless. It just involved different techniques.

I used to have a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v way back when and I remember that needing an alarm and an immobiliser with a little fob you had to press on to the dash to turn off a red LED, and then you still needed a steering lock and reinforcing plates around the door handles to stop the screwdriver brigade.

Talking of which, we had a rental car (a Jeep Renegade) broken into in central Milan a couple of years ago and that was done by sticking a screwdriver into the keyhole on the driver's door.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Pythongrün

Post by Pythongrün »

Wolands Advocate wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:19 pm Well car theft is hardly new - it was around before keyless. It just involved different techniques.

I used to have a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v way back when and I remember that needing an alarm and an immobiliser with a little fob you had to press on to the dash to turn off a red LED, and then you still needed a steering lock and reinforcing plates around the door handles to stop the screwdriver brigade.

Talking of which, we had a rental car (a Jeep Renegade) broken into in central Milan a couple of years ago and that was done by sticking a screwdriver into the keyhole on the driver's door.
I remember losing the keys to my MG Metro whilst in town and opening the door with a wooden chip fork that I ripped in half 🤣

Picture below for the benefit of those not from the North 🤣

IMG_8047.jpeg

crockers

Post by crockers »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:17 pm
Noslouch wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 pm I think Macan thefts are almost entirely inside the M25 although there are a few in Gloucestershire.
Don’t understand any of this but presumably it depends where the “chop shops” are located??
Design is so old they must be stolen for parts??
Yea but they all drive Defenders and RR sports.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Pythongrün wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 pm
Wolands Advocate wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:19 pm Well car theft is hardly new - it was around before keyless. It just involved different techniques.

I remember losing the keys to my MG Metro whilst in town and opening the door with a wooden chip fork that I ripped in half 🤣

Eventually I didn't bother locking my MG Metro :lol: :lol: (great wee car mostly (bodywork was terrible!))
andreas

Post by andreas »

ScotMac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:49 pm

Eventually I didn't bother locking my MG Metro :lol: :lol: (great wee car mostly (bodywork was terrible!))
My first car was an MGTC which didn't have lockable doors and was in a general condition which no thief would have found appealing!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

crockers wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:43 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:17 pm

Yea but they all drive Defenders and RR sports.
No not all 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

We have those in the South, too, but down here they're Silver-plated ;)
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Old Chimer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:57 pm

We have those in the South, too, but down here they're Silver-plated ;)
Plate? Tsk. You mean inherited sterling silver ones with your family crest on them...unless of course those have already been nicked along the rest of the silver, the contents of the house and the car...
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper