GTS? SD?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome Sophiacat.
I had an SD for around 8 months and covered 9000 very enjoyable miles in it. It was a superb distance cruiser and an effortless, comfortable everyday car. My intentions at purchase were to cover around 15000 miles per annum with a few continental hols. Circumstances changed (slightly) and at the time the SD had a very good residual and the GTS had just been launched.

The GTS is much more "edgy" (if I can use that youngster's term on this forum? ) and always encourages me to drive that bit too fast, if only to hear the exhaust note and exhaust pop. As above, the GTS feels lighter and does handle better (everything being relative; the SD handles far better than it should and certainly better than any other SUV)

For comparison sake, my wife has a 428 cabriolet and we both feel the ride is on a par with the GTS but the handling not quite as assured (possibly because the roof has been cut off)

I guess it all depend what you and Mr Sophie want from the car? A 5 mile rush hour commute will be rubbish whatever you drive ( ) but your weekend trips and 12000 miles a year will be more "fun" in a GTS if less relaxed.

Residuals would seem better in % terms on a GTS especially as it has more " options" as standard compared to the SD.
mpg on my Diesel was 35+ and I've not yet seen better that 25 on the GTS (and often less than 20)

If you drive a GTS you'll probably want one! but funnily enough I said to my wife the other day that I did miss the relaxing cruise of the SD.........but I would miss that exhaust note!Paul2017-03-23 12:05:45
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome Sophiacat! Thumbs Up
As others have said it's a nice position to be in. It's an impossible question to answer as to which is best, SD or GTS, as there are so many variables and they are two quite different cars.
If you want the simplicity of just one car (rather than an SD and a sports car) it may well come down to head Geek versus heart Heart
Good luck with your decision.
By the way, I don't think that £1,700 first year tax is correct. I'll check...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Pugland53

Post by Pugland53 »

First year tax is £1200 on a GTS, £450 after that.
Sapphire GTS.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ok, car tax:
Post April 1st an SD would be £500 in Year One and then £450 per year for the next 5 years.
A GTS would be £1,200 in Year One and then £450 per year for the next 5 years.
Geek So extra cost of taxing a GTS would 'only' be £700 more in total during the first 6 years.
Simon

Bckjag

Post by Bckjag »

Must've been too early in the morning when I was looking at the new VED costs lol. That's my excuse anyway Embarrassed
Cayman GTS sold June 2016
Macan GTS collected 12th April 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH59XT18
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

LOL
It's £450 annually for Years Two to Six for cars over £40k.
£1,700 in Year One for cars with CO2 of 226-255g/km, so that would be something like a Cayenne GTS.
Simon

Caster

Post by Caster »

Welcome Sophiacat - sounds like you've got a nice dilemma! My views for your pot:-

MPG diff - 23 GTS
v 35 SD (both approx)

Fuel Cost Diff (10k
miles) - depends if use vpower/standard stuff etc but lets say Petrol/Diesel =
£1.20/£1.22 per litre. So, GTS = £2,371 pa
& SD = £1,584. SD saving = £787 pa.

GTS Higher Cost -
Does have extra options over SD you might/might not be bothered about but
really your choice.

Depn Values etc -
A lot depends on how you're buying it contract/cash etc, how long you're keeping it - how you'll get
rid (trade in/private etc) + demand for 'em at the time! At
present, I'd guess base models with your
expected mileage will depreciate over 3 yrs by "lets say" 37% for both. So from your config spec OTR prices and me being
cynical thinking options "won't" effect trade in prices!:-

GTS - Base Price £58,158, Depn = £21,518 so 3yr
value = £36,640. So total loss = £65,831
- £36,640 = £29,191

SD - Base Price
£48,289, Depn = £17,866 so 3yr value = £30,423.
So total loss = £61,180 - £30,423 = £30,757

So, interesting to see from your option choices a GTS will
lose less over 3 years - in my back of fag packet calcs!

VED - GTS yr 1 =
£1,200; SD yr 1 = £500 then both £450pa for next 5 yrs.

Our Specs -
Purely personal in my opinion + a couple of my favourite additions have been mudflaps
and extra console switches which aren't even on the configurator - plus I got
my wheel centre caps off ebay! Space saver spare wheel does seem a useful
addition though. Thumbs Up

Our usage fun etc
- Once again, personal choice but reckon you'll be happy with either of the choices
but only way to find out is to have a few "extended" test drives and,
if you like 'em both, try and predict which one you'd be happiest with over
time. I do like the suggestions from
others though re getting a 2nd "fun" motor for weekends etc. Might be nice to slip into a Cayman etc every
now and then or when you need another vehicle - would need factoring in
financially though!

Anyway, hope my ramblings of use and you get enough info to
make up your mind before next week's potential lock down + if you decide to go
for a GTS you don't have too long to wait.

Good luck

Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Sophiacat: welcome to the forum. I've driven nothing but diesels for the last 12+ years but I will try to be objective.

During the winter, does your 420d get warm on the 5 mile commute? The 3L engine in the SD will take longer. On your way to and from work, the fuel consumption of a 2 ton SUV will be rubbish but the SD less so than the GTS. The real question is whether the extra fun factor of the GTS can justify the extra first cost and higher running costs. Only you and your husband can answer that.

Nobody knows what the long term depreciation will be on a GTS as the model has not been around that long. The SD has moved from appreciating when it first came out to steady depreciation now. However, in the UK Porsche sell 5 SDs for every petrol model so supply of second hand ones is closer to meeting demand levels. Only think of depreciation in percentage terms, it's easier than worrying over the tens of thousands of pounds that you wont get back. LOL

Whichever car you go for, it will put a smile on your face.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

OMG thanks for all the responses! You guys rock. Will have a read through with Mr Cat properly tonight after work
steve w

Post by steve w »

Sophiacat
We've had both the SD is brilliant fast enough for most and good on fuel but residuals are slipping on them,our second Macan a GTS is in another league its fabulous,o/k it likes a drop of the super unleaded but who buys a Porshe for the fuel consumption and hopefully residuals will hold up better than the SD,we've got the GTS interior it's stunning,silly money but imo makes the interior,
Test drive a GTS and I think you'll change your order.
SteveW