GTS? SD?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Controversially, how about buying a used Macan SD & a used Cayman S (or something similar)?

No matter how good the Macan GTS is, it will never be a true sports car as you simply can't deny physics.

I had one for a weekend to consider switching my SD and decided getting something alongside was a better route for me or simply waiting 2-3 years and switching into a 911 at the same point as upgrading my wife's car to something a little bigger to act as the family car.

Hawkeye: Mr Cat likes your idea of getting a sportier Porsche alongside the Macan Big smile Sadly it's not a financially viable option right now (unless we don't get a macan and get something else much cheaper, then get a pre-owned Boxster as well... but no I think!)

We started out looking at 2nd hand SDs as have never bought cars brand new, but there hasn't been the right one for us specced with what we want at what we feel is a reasonable price. Had a Boxster for a 24 hr test drive but it wasn't comfortable enough for daily/regular use. Agree, great as a 2nd car though!

Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

We've ordered an SD purely as it is the family car and will be much better on fuel and for a two tonne machine it is still quick. If I want to drive extremely fast I use my 981 Cayman S.

Excellent plan! Thumbs Up
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Sophiacat: welcome to the forum. I've driven nothing but diesels for the last 12+ years but I will try to be objective.

During the winter, does your 420d get warm on the 5 mile commute? The 3L engine in the SD will take longer. On your way to and from work, the fuel consumption of a 2 ton SUV will be rubbish but the SD less so than the GTS. The real question is whether the extra fun factor of the GTS can justify the extra first cost and higher running costs. Only you and your husband can answer that.

Whichever car you go for, it will put a smile on your face.

That's an excellent point that I hadn't considered, thanks On-Track. The 420d engine does get warm during winter commutes but in retrospect it probably does struggle when the temperature is below zero (not very often).

I am fairly sure we will both be grinning like Cheshire cats when we drive whichever it is we decide on!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Controversially, how about buying a used Macan SD & a used Cayman S (or something similar)?

No matter how good the Macan GTS is, it will never be a true sports car as you simply can't deny physics.

I had one for a weekend to consider switching my SD and decided getting something alongside was a better route for me or simply waiting 2-3 years and switching into a 911 at the same point as upgrading my wife's car to something a little bigger to act as the family car.

Hawkeye: Mr Cat likes your idea of getting a sportier Porsche alongside the Macan Big smile Sadly it's not a financially viable option right now (unless we don't get a macan and get something else much cheaper, then get a pre-owned Boxster as well... but no I think!) 

We started out looking at 2nd hand SDs as have never bought cars brand new, but there hasn't been the right one for us specced with what we want at what we feel is a reasonable price. Had a Boxster for a 24 hr test drive but it wasn't comfortable enough for daily/regular use. Agree, great as a 2nd car though! 

I sold a 5 series touring when I bought our Macan which I got £22k for. It was like new with 11.5k miles on it after 2.5 years. Whilst I really like our Macan SD which is pretty highly specced at £60k, I do sometimes wonder if a good alternative option might have been to simply keep the 5 series and spend the £38k balance on a nice 981S Cayman and run both. Problem was my wife wouldn't drive the 5 series as too big and prefers her city car for around London. On the basis that couldn't convince her to have the family car, we ended up with the Macan. 3 cars in London seemed a little excessive! Good luck with your decision!
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Thanks all esp. Paul, Wing Co, Col Lamb and Caster for your detailed and balanced replies. We may test drive a GTS this weekend, but part of me is afraid that SteveW will be right, heart will win over head and we will decide we just have to have one...

Have found out that GTS availability is September which we need to take into account.

On the flip side, that would give us the chance to enjoy our 420d convertible for one more summer.

I'll keep y'all updated and will definitely post pics once our Macan arrives (whichever it may be!) Big smile
Paul

Post by Paul »

the 4 series cab is good fun with roof down! (even if it is a diesel )
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good luck and keep us posted!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Hawkeye: Mr Cat likes your idea of getting a sportier Porsche alongside the Macan Big smile Sadly it's not a financially viable option right now (unless we don't get a macan and get something else much cheaper, then get a pre-owned Boxster as well... but no I think!)

I sold a 5 series touring when I bought our Macan which I got £22k for. It was like new with 11.5k miles on it after 2.5 years. Whilst I really like our Macan SD which is pretty highly specced at £60k, I do sometimes wonder if a good alternative option might have been to simply keep the 5 series and spend the £38k balance on a nice 981S Cayman and run both. Problem was my wife wouldn't drive the 5 series as too big and prefers her city car for around London. On the basis that couldn't convince her to have the family car, we ended up with the Macan. 3 cars in London seemed a little excessive! Good luck with your decision!

Thumbs Up thanks! Kinda know what you mean. I've thought of keeping the BMW & considered several different ways of spending the 'excess' money (paying it off the mortgage, home improvements, and other such sensible stuff like that) But I suppose life would be less fun if we all thought like that, and Mr Cat who is much more fun-loving than me has banned such sensible thoughts from the house when discussing the Macan purchase Wink

BTW agree with Mrs Hawkeye, 5 series wayyyyy too big to drive LOL

Sophiacat2017-03-23 20:47:44
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

the 4 series cab is good fun with roof down! (even if it is a diesel )

Oh I know... we will both really miss the the wind & fresh air (hence pano roof was non-negotiable)
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

So we ended up going with the SD for various reasons. Thanks for all your advice! Collected it last week and loving it! Pictures to be posted in gallery next :)