Second Porsche!!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi there,

I love the new look of the forum and want to extend a thanks to Rob for helping me out.

Ok, so once I've paid off my balloon payment on my Evoque, I'm seriously considering a Macan with the help of Mr Clydesdale.

Ideally, I'm looking at an SD with PASM and possibly air on 20's (although I could probably buy a set of 20's second hand). Sat Nav is pretty much an obvious thing to look out for, but I'd be thankful for any "essential" items within a used budget of under £45K that I could search for.

A few questions (and I apologise if they've been asked before, but I couldn't easily find the answers):

• How long is the standard warranty on Macans? I assume that I'd need to stick with OPC services and approved tires within that period.
  • AdBlue - I read somewhere this is used in SDs and the engine basically stops working when there's none left. Is this in any way a concern? I doubt it, but then I've never really come into contact with the stuff before.
  • Was the engine involved in the emissions scandal? I didn't think it was, but I saw a report on Honest John that someone's MPG took a nose-dive after the emissions fix was applied. If the fix is "a thing", is this something that I need to be concerned about in looking at used cars?
  • Is Apple CarPlay standard on all models?
And yes, this would be my second Porsche. A few years ago, I had a 911 4S. Very nice, but pretty impractical (esp. in winter when the side windows froze up). Also, the easiest way to exit the car (simply falling out sideways) got far too many looks. Also a spirited early morning sprint up an empty M40 one day showed me what it could do and I've never been tempted to do it again (I'd never want that to be a habit).

So, I'm getting bored of driving the Evoque (which is really just a tarted up Freelander, after all) and want something practical and yet involving.

Thanks for any advice that comes my way and I look forward to getting the new car later on in the year.

Pete.
Last edited by Pete on Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Not so sure about the warranty - others will chime in - but on the adblue, you get a warning on the dash with about 1500 miles remaining and you simply buy a 20 or 25 litre drum (mine was £12) and pour it in using a funnel. Others bought a 1-litre bottle from the dealer and cut the bottom off that to use in place of a funnel, but for me it was really easy putting in 1 litre at a time from a measuring jug. If you drive on past the recommended mileage, the car won't start and will need dealer action (I believe). But you get plenty of warning.
Macan S D
718 S
smithers-jones

Post by smithers-jones »

Adblue comment as above.
Standard warranty is 3 years. An OPC used car will get 2 years with it.
Not all have Applecarplay. My Sept 2015 doesn't, but it became standard shortly afterwards.
Mine had the 'software update to cure tickover noise'. Yeah, right! ie emission adjustment. Initially it was far more thirsty (5-6mpg below 'normal') but it has now settled back to normality and I'm getting 36ish in general usage, 40 on a good motorway run.
Evoque. Oh dear. That was an error: still, I made plenty myself! the Macan SD not being one of them......You're in for quite a change.
Air is overblown (pardon the pun). PASM on springs is superb and more than adequate.
Best, Ade

Incoming:
Papaya GTS build PPTLLZB0
Aurora Blue Cupra Born V3 77kW

Current:
BMW E92 330D Le Mans Blue

Previously loved:
2015 Sapphire Blue Macan SD
2014 Sapphire Blue 981S Cayman
2016 Racing Yellow 981GTS Cayman
Variety of ALPINA
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Standard warranty is 3 years but it can be extended. It needs an OPC check first unless it's under a year old. I just extended mine to 5 years for another £1,440.

Bigphil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Hello Pete and welcome to the forum!

On the question of manufacturer's warranty, that is now currently 3 years for new cars like most other manufacturers. And yes, best is to avoid any modifications to not give Porsche any excuses if you needed to rely on the warranty for a fix. ;)

Car Play is an optional extra.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks both. Good advice so far.

The Evoque is my third LR. I swapped the Porsche for a Freelander 2 (which I had a huge amount of fun with), and then went to a full sized Range Rover which is (so far) the best car I've ever owned. I changed to the Evoque to save in running costs (and my SO liked the colour). As well as the Evoque being a bit dull to drive, I've also got fed up with the pretty awful after-care and servicing that my local LR dealer gave me.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Ok, so if I squeeze to get a 2015 car, I get up to a year of warranty which should help sort out any used car niggles. I'm not sure yet whether I'll go with an OPC approved used or go with someone else. Really depends what cars are on offer when I have the cash in my pocket...

The hardest part of this is convincing my SO that this is a good idea...
happy days

Post by happy days »

Get her to drive it. Mrs Happy says it it the first car she actually likes driving and she's not at all a car person. Our SE loaned us one for the weekend.
Macan S D
718 S
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

The model year 2017 cars (built Jan 2016 onwards) have updated infotainment system and navigation, it is more user friendly with better screen.
Depends how importat that is to you both.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Pete

Post by Pete »

happy days wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm Get her to drive it. Mrs Happy says it it the first car she actually likes driving and she's not at all a car person. Our SE loaned us one for the weekend.
Funny thing is that the thought of driving an automatic terrifies her. Something about not having enough control.

Then again, if I got her driving, then she'd probably enjoy it so much that I'd never be able to drive anywhere again.