Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
wilko

Post by wilko »

It depends entirely on what you want, and what you can afford. My turbo will do 18k miles in year 1 and I'll take the £20k depreciation hit and the £5k fuel bill on the chin as i can afford it, and I enjoy it enough to justify it.
If you can afford it, spec the hell out of a turbo, and do as many miles as you like. If you're on a budget, need to keep finance payments low, then go low spec diesel and don't rack up too many miles.
No right awnser, as it depends entirely on you finances and man maths
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Can I suggest that you do more research into residual values?

An SD is currently looking to depreciate greater than a petrol variant, hence the extra running costs of a petrol variant will likely be more than covered by the difference in depreciation
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

No one can predict residuals but it seems to me that SD is likely to suffer more than other Macan models. There are massively more of them and I don't think anti diesel sentiment is going away any time soon. I had an SD ordered briefly but changed the order to a Turbo. The whole anti diesel thing was part of the thinking. Residuals another but I ended up over speccing the turbo so I'll probably end up worse off overall.

My 330d has taken a massive hit in the last three months and I bet it's not the only diesel thus affected. Plus SD is now available from stock which can't help matters.

Sorry that was a ramble....
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

petrol :-)
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
happy days

Post by happy days »

Depends where you live.

Here in NI, petrol cars are in a total minority - looking around the work car park here and my 718 is the only petrol car (apart from a colleague's motorbike!) out of 40 or so cars. You would often see second hand petrol powered cars sitting on a forecourt for months and months as there's virtually no market for them, even at a price!
Macan S D
718 S
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I concur with the above comments on journey type. If you do mostly short journeys (e.g. 5-10 miles) then petrol. If you do longer journeys then diesel. My old diesel car (not a Porsche) kept failing MOT on emissions because we are in the short journey camp.

One other factor that hasn't been mentioned is sound. Turn the key in the ignition in both and the petrol sounds like a Porsche, however the diesel is quieter. I love the sound of my petrol Macan.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Macandriver wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:09 pm Turn the key in the ignition in both and the petrol sounds like a Porsche

I thought the sound of a Porsche was that of a flat 6 not a V6.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

The diesel is the most popular Macan model and I don't see that changing unless we get a decent hybrid model.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Macananon wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:51 pm
Macandriver wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:09 pm Turn the key in the ignition in both and the petrol sounds like a Porsche

I thought the sound of a Porsche was that of a flat 6 not a V6.
Nah, the V6 sounds little like the flat 6 in the 911, turbo or NA.

I don't like the sound of the flat 6 (yea, I know heretic), but it is at least quite charismatic.
The V6 (petrols) sound a bit bland.

Unlike me to be nice about the SD :o , but in the Macan range, I think the sound of the diesel is probably the best vs expectation.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Personally, I think anyone would be crazy to spend £50k+ on a diesel vehicle.

The government have said to think very carefully before buying a diesel, and they're looking at the appropriate tax treatment

Paris want them banned

Even regional cities are looking to charge them for entering, and charge extra for parking

Note - he did not say think carefully about buying a pre-EURO 6 diesel, just diesel full stop.

This is going to be a major storm in the coming years. The politics will be a nightmare with regional labour cities playing games against a conservative government.

At this cost level, depreciation is your biggest expense.

Other than entirely understandable self preservation for those with diesels, why take the huge risk of going near a diesel even if doing high mileage as you're a political punchbag, further hindered by green peace etc taking the government to court to ensure action.

People too often only hear what they want to hear, but the reality of this diesel issue is very serious.