Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I'm going for this as the correct figures. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... an-for-you
But they have a nice graphic designer for their posters :lol: :lol:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960

Paul

Post by Paul »

Here you go Dennis; this'll put you to sleep tonight.....😉

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/airquality ... 20Plan.pdf
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
happy days

Post by happy days »

I'll just sit here on my grassy knoll and eat popcorn.
Macan S D
718 S
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Well I have just picked up a brand new SD and It is a fantastic machine which suits me just fine....

"You pays your money you makes your choice" Drop Mike!
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

I'm so totally confused at the moment about what to do - Macan S petrol or diesel? Don't need a diesel as such as I only do about 3000 miles a year, although my existing 2014 Maserati Ghibli is diesel just because at the time they were outselling petrol 8 to 1 and I was advised the resale would be much higher! It was my first ever diesel car, and I have been buying two brand new cars every 2 /3 years for the last 40 years but I was persuaded by the lower insurance, fuel costs, and Government lobbying.
Obviously, everything has now changed, and I thought petrol would be the way to go. What I really fail to understand is the new VED tax difference. In year 1, the tax on a new Petrol S is £1200, a Diesel S £500. How exactly does this encourage me away from diesel? I don't mind spending £1200 on a sunroof, but tax? Ouch.
So I'm sitting on the fence, waiting to see if Jeremy wins and makes thus all go on the bus anyway!
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, davetronic :)

At 3,000 miles a year, I honestly think that the petrol S is a no brainer!

And the superior value retention will easily get you back that extra tax from Year 1.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
John_M

Post by John_M »

davetronic wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 pm I'm so totally confused at the moment about what to do - Macan S petrol or diesel? Don't need a diesel as such as I only do about 3000 miles a year, although my existing 2014 Maserati Ghibli is diesel just because at the time they were outselling petrol 8 to 1 and I was advised the resale would be much higher! It was my first ever diesel car, and I have been buying two brand new cars every 2 /3 years for the last 40 years but I was persuaded by the lower insurance, fuel costs, and Government lobbying.
Obviously, everything has now changed, and I thought petrol would be the way to go. What I really fail to understand is the new VED tax difference. In year 1, the tax on a new Petrol S is £1200, a Diesel S £500. How exactly does this encourage me away from diesel? I don't mind spending £1200 on a sunroof, but tax? Ouch.
So I'm sitting on the fence, waiting to see if Jeremy wins and makes thus all go on the bus anyway!
At 3000 miles per year - petrol, unless you only take it on a few long runs and leave it standing for most of the time you are likely doing short runs and the first DPF issue will cause you more expense than the extra tax and fuel costs. Your economy will be well down on short runs anyway so likely not as great a difference as you'd expect.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome davetronic. Agree with comments from Wing Co and John M.

It's petrol all the way.
GTS 😀
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi Davetronic, like you, all my previous cars were petrol until I bought a 5 series touring & the sales guy said no-one bought petrol versions, so I got a diesel.

I then got a Macan and at the time, lead times on petrol variants were longer than I could or wanted to wait, so I went diesel again. I do about 4-6,000 miles a year & my spec brought the car to £60k.

While waiting for the car to arrive, leadtimes for petrol, particularly GTSs were significantly reduced with some coming through in just a few months (I ordered in April & got car in October).

As I was waiting for my car to arrive I was always on the configurator speccing a GTS. When the SD arrived, I definitely spent a bit of time wishing I had a GTS and ended up retrofitting a sports exhaust for a little extra noise. This was to avoid a costly change into a GTS.

I then had a GTS for a weekend to see if that was what I really wanted and concluded that the cost to change was too large and whilst it was fun, it wasn't more fun enough to warrant the change. To get the fun I wanted, probably need an actual sports car rather than a SUV.

So, in short, if I could go back in time, I would have definitely have gone petrol and almost certainly a GTS. The diesel is a great car, suits our driving (in town and motorways mostly) and touch wood, I've had no DPF issues yet, but I don't really feel excited about it.

I will probably end up buying an older 911 alongside or switching to an early 991 next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

davetronic wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 pm I'm so totally confused at the moment about what to do - Macan S petrol or diesel? Don't need a diesel as such as I only do about 3000 miles a year, although my existing 2014 Maserati Ghibli is diesel just because at the time they were outselling petrol 8 to 1 and I was advised the resale would be much higher! It was my first ever diesel car, and I have been buying two brand new cars every 2 /3 years for the last 40 years but I was persuaded by the lower insurance, fuel costs, and Government lobbying.
I would suggest that you look at the cost of ownership over your period you intend to own a Macan.

SD residuals seem to have softened, not just dieselgate but the simple fact is that there are so many now out there compared to petrol variants.

The VED difference is more than likely going to be offset by a considerable margin by the depreciation difference. Same applies to the cost of fuel. Overall cost of ownership may well be more advantageous by owning a petrol version.

SDs are great but the 3.0 and 3.6 petrol engines are superb.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags