Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

happy days wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm
Maximus_84 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 am
And gearbox (ZF) is so much better than Audi DQ500..that's another reason I'm considering Porsche because the PDK system is supposed to be epic!
AFAIK, the box in the Macan isn't a true PDK - it's the Audi DSG box.
Not sure where you are getting that from but just driving it, it drives like a good PDK box and certainly not an a DSG box.
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)

nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

Maximus_84 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 am
nick265sprint wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm
Maximus_84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm Sorry to hijack this post - I currently drive an Audi RS3 but am looking to change my car to a small SUV and I'm considering the Macan, SQ5 and new RSQ3. However the Porsche for me is top of the pile and like every petrol head, the boyhood dream was to own a Porsche :D

With the Macan due to my budget is be looking for 2018 model whereas the Audi's will be 2019. I'm also in the same dilemma and want to know the best route on model..

I drive around 8/9k miles a year and it's mainly 20-25 minute drive to work on country lanes but there's times where I'm driving to sites with work and it's motorway driving long distance.. what do people suggest?

I'm a petrol head at heart and love engine noise (hence the 5 pot!) But I've had diesels in the past with BMW 435d and enjoyed the power and noise too..
Hi Maximus, I have just this last weekend made the swap from a BMW 435d 2017 to a 2017 Macan S D due to wanting an SUV size vehicle again and to be honest getting fed up with just how much the BM had depreciated since I had owned it from new, now handing it back. I had also considered an SQ5 and been out in a friends which was a great car, but I couldn't get on with the seats, also could just see it losing a load. In the 4 days having the Macan I've enjoyed it, some nice things you don't think about, the daft stuff like surround view parking is really good, lane change assist is great. Nav seems better. Suspension & power aren't the same as previous car but very good for SUV. Anything up to end March 2017 will still be in the £200 / year car tax bracket otherwise you get caught out. Can't really tell you what to expect long term on MPG but it's showing 35ish at the moment, mind can be less when your enjoying yourself ;) Hope that helps, oh and I have a few other weekend toys, so this is more a daily :D :D :D
Pleased my comments helped, it's not a 435d as obviously it's a small SUV, but to try and give you a bit of a direct comparison, it drives very well and can be pushed on hard, make sure you have the PASM option to stiffen the suspension up. The PDK box is excellent and a joy to use, both manual and auto. Brakes very good and giving good response back. Won't be as quick as the 435d but still a lot of fun and I've looked down at the speedo at times and been a bit surprised just how fast I'm going.
But Ultimately go and try one out, see if it's for you.

Thanks! That helps a lot! My head tells me Diesely heart says petrol! You see at the minute my toy is also my daily! :lol: but can't afford to keep that and have a nice daily...I love the RS3 but it is savage (stage2 tune) and wants to be driven hard all the time, it's just not comfortable cruising or pottering, it's like it gets upset :lol:

I want a comfortable cruiser but has some poke when I want to drive in a more spirited fashion! I know I need to test drive them all but I've had Audi for years (TTs, TTRS) so fancy a change and something more prestige...

Btw I loved the 435d what a car! And gearbox (ZF) is so much better than Audi DQ500..that's another reason I'm considering Porsche because the PDK system is supposed to be epic!
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

I have a macan s diesel and an f type, so can give realist feedback on gearbox, would plum for macan gearbox every time, just faster and smoother.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:49 pm I have a macan s diesel and an f type, so can give realist feedback on gearbox, would plum for macan gearbox every time, just faster and smoother.
Not quite the same aural experience though.
Maximus_84

Post by Maximus_84 »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:49 pm I have a macan s diesel and an f type, so can give realist feedback on gearbox, would plum for macan gearbox every time, just faster and smoother.
Thanks for the comment - you will be able to answer this accurately... As you have an F Type with so decent power, what is the Macan like in comparison? I know you can't compare SUV to sports car :lol: but if you can try and compare that would be great
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

two different cars, both very good but build for different driving, sorry
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Maximus_84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm Sorry to hijack this post - I currently drive an Audi RS3 but am looking to change my car to a small SUV and I'm considering the Macan, SQ5 and new RSQ3. However the Porsche for me is top of the pile and like every petrol head, the boyhood dream was to own a Porsche :D

With the Macan due to my budget is be looking for 2018 model whereas the Audi's will be 2019. I'm also in the same dilemma and want to know the best route on model..

I drive around 8/9k miles a year and it's mainly 20-25 minute drive to work on country lanes but there's times where I'm driving to sites with work and it's motorway driving long distance.. what do people suggest?

I'm a petrol head at heart and love engine noise (hence the 5 pot!) But I've had diesels in the past with BMW 435d and enjoyed the power and noise too..
Audi RSQ3. You might be interested in this review

www.topgear.com/car-reviews/audi/rs-q3-tfsi-quattro-5dr-s-tronic-comfortsound-pk/first-drive
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Maximus_84

Post by Maximus_84 »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Audi RSQ3. You might be interested in this review

www.topgear.com/car-reviews/audi/rs-q3-tfsi-quattro-5dr-s-tronic-comfortsound-pk/first-drive
Ouch! That's a scaving review but at least it's real and honest and not a review that appears to have been sponsored subtly by Audi...

I'm trying to find a diesel Macan to test drive near me this weekend
MCS

Post by MCS »

Definitely a Macan S Diesel...I have sent you a PM.