Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yeah, France are so concerned over Euro 6 diesel it costs a whole 4 euros for the "critair" badge!😂😂

Don't forget the whole European transport system relies on Diesel fuel, public transport, rail.....etc etc.

Diesel cars may be an easy target but the measure will be on emissions, where Euro 6 is currently the cleanest solution.

Anyhow, pretty soon climate change will be back on the agenda with the US pulling out of the Paris agreement, and they'll start measuring, and taxing CO2 again!

The main thing to avoid to reduce your liability is car ownership.....😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

LLL

Post by LLL »

Doesn't really matter what you choose today. There ain't currently no future proof choices from the germans...

Just one out of many reports showing that claimed emission levels are just a big joke. This test for instance show that certain petrol cars are worse than diesels...
https://www.empa.ch/web/s604/soot-particles-from-gdi
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

We're now on notice for diesel.

Whatever the status of EURO 6 today, it's only going to get worse and Paris wants diesel cars banned in 8 years.

It's now political, and personally I wouldn't place a £50k bet on them.

At the moment, the PCP market gives you a back-stop position, albeit it's expensive - particularly if you're doing 15-20k+/mileage that diesels are suited to. This is an area of huge interest, as if the finance companies change their residual value materially, diesels demise becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy which impacts cars already on their books.
Paul

Post by Paul »

That's a really interesting poster Luke (Edit to say " which vanished from your post!)- the areas to highlight for me are that with regard to today's naughty boy that is soot particles, Euro 6 allows 6 trillion soot particles per km for petrol engines but only 6 billion per km for diesel (unless that's a misprint?!)
Same generous allowances (double ) for CO2 petrol compared to diesel!
NO2 allowance is only slightly higher for diesel - and mostly transformed to nothing by Adblue systems. So how / why is diesel so "bad?"

IMG_0270.JPG

EV may be the answer as fossils run out but they will create as many concerns with Lithium mining, battery disposal, vehicle weight, power generation......

I'm going for a lie down in my cave now!😉 (And then for drive in my GTS👍)
Last edited by Paul on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Both the OPCs I visited when deciding to go for a Macan told me that orders for diesels are in rapid decline. The whole anti-diesel thing wasn't a big factor in me deciding to go for a petrol S, I just prefer the power delivery of the petrol engine and I'm a petrolhead not a dieselhead. There's no escape for us though - the mayors and ministers looking to clobber diesel cars don't see big, thirsty petrol cars as saintly, they'll go after them too. If you're really worried, get a Tesla X.

Anyone interested in a fabulous, top spec Freelander 2? Available this September. :)
pj191k89
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Diesels sales are down this year considerably. There are official figures out there and all other petrol / hybrid / electric have all had growth. Read the below. These are not just stories but diesel is on the decline and these figures are based on some orders being placed last year. Imagine what the figures will be like in a few months. I am not against diesels but these are facts.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... el-down-20
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

http://www.riversimple.com/gallery-london/#

Saw one of these hydrogen fuel cell vehicles at the Chatsworth Flower Show today.

A bit strange to look at but interior looked well thought out.

All that comes out of the exhaust is water vapour
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

ScotMac wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 pm The diesel is the most popular Macan model and I don't see that changing unless we get a decent hybrid model.
Sure about that? Seems that diesel supply is getting quite plentiful, with many dealers able to offer cars virtually from stock, whereas the petrol S is still subject to 4-6 month waits.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Definitely the case in 2016..... over 6000 SD registered compared to under 1000 Turbo, 800 GTS, under 1000 S and 600 2.0.
So even cumulatively, diesel sales are double petrol. Alot to do with upstream supply (which is why there are now diesel build slots available as the supply is still there / has increased)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

:ugeek: Interesting observation Paul, very odd on particulates figures. Not what the press want us to believe. Needs a bit more research
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960