Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jrl

Post by Jrl »

Looking to buy a Macan ,any useful tips from owner's please ,to get 2 litre ,3 litre , petrol , diesel ? The S version of my be Gts or any is who might be selling ? Any information from owner's will be gratefully received

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Really depends on what you are going to use it for.

Would it be a daily drive? Long distance or short journeys? Annual mileage?

Are you looking for economy on journeys? Do you want 30 to 40 mpg or 18 to 23? Do you care? It is a Porsche after all.

I don't think the 2 lit petrol gives hugely better mpg over the 3 lit (stand to be corrected on that, though).

Lots of opinion on this forum over petrol vs diesel.

Good luck
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Pete

Post by Pete »

There's also political considerations to take in account as well. There's been a lot of press recently about diesel emissions and the health impact. Obviously, trains, buses, lorries are far more dirty than relatively modern cars, but of course us car owners far easier to deal with. We don't really know how legislation/tax will change in the coming years. If you listen to Radio 4, you've most probably heard that diesel cars are rapidly on their way out.

All diesel Macans have Euro 6 compliant engines, so this helps in terms of emissions and (therefore) tax, and will also help in terms of any likely legislation changes which would presumably hit "older" cars worse.

When I was looking around at a new car, I did also consider the e Hybrid Cayenne but I felt the larger costs weren't worth the benefits, and advances in hybrid/EV in next few years would lower the resale value significantly more than a conventional fuelled Porsche.

So, in a few years time, I'd hope that hybrid/EV was cheap enough to be economically viable both to buy and to run.
Saffa

Post by Saffa »

Never ask this question in the forum... two days later the conversation will rage on and on and on... ;)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHEPZN21 delivered May 2017, sold Sept 2019
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

I have had both engine types.

Diesel is very good as a mile muncher, its also good in traffic thanks to its masive engine torque. That said there is the DPF issue with diesels to consider if your journeys do not include periods where regen will occur.

2.0 litre, its underpowered for a two tonne car, the lack of power means the engine has to be worked hard if you like to drive in a spirited fashion, alternatively if you drive like Miss Daisy this is the one for you.

S is good but add a batch of extras and its cost is in GTS range.

GTS is the sweet spot variant.

Turbo, just blows your socks off.

The SD is or rather has been the most popular model hence as a second owner you will find more choice available.

Do read up on the what to specify in your Macan sticky post to learn about what the extras are and their effect.

Test drive as many Macans as you can, by visiting as many dealers as you can, take images of each and make notes as to what extras are included in the demo cars.

You will be blown away by just how good a Macan is and its very easy to omit including the extras that make a Macan even better, its those very extras that are included as standard in the GTS and Turbo variants that should tell you something.

Enjoy your learning process and enjoy the forum.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

My thoughts, some of these won't matter depending on what your priorities are.

Diesel: Best fuel economy. Performance is, IMO, adequate, around Golf GTi levels but easily accessible due to low speed torque. Nothing special about the engine, just a pretty run of the mill diesel. Lots of short journeys with no / rare longer trips might cause DPF issues.

6 cylinder petrols all faster than the diesel. All use (a lot) more fuel than the diesel. Can feel slower than the diesel as more revs required to extract performance. This characteristic has disappeared by the time you get to the Turbos. Nice engines, smooth, fun to exploit ( good rev range, sound, power builds).

4 cylinder petrol ( with apologies to anyone who has bought one) don't see the point. Slower than a diesel. Uses nearly as much fuel as the 6 cylinder petrols ( had a 2litre for a day and the fuel consumption was only slightly better than my Turbo). Only slightly cheaper than a 6 cylinder petrol.
andreas

Post by andreas »

I have a petrol S on order; I reckon that the retained values of diesels are going to take a hit in the next few years.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I sold my SD (a terrific drive although some more horses would be good) convinced that it's future value and resale potential would be adversely affected by anti-deisel sentiment, even though any SD is Euro 6. It may not turn out that way but who can tell? I now have the S and am thrilled with it. At my mileage, 7/8k pa, fuel cost is irrelevant and as my son says, 'it's a proper porsche'. Buy what suits you best.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
VanB

Post by VanB »

There is so much uncertainty around the future of diesel that personally I wouldn't buy one currently (sorry to everyone who is or has bought one recently). Agree with others that the 2.0 seems a little bit of an odd choice inasmuch as it is very underpowered compared to the 3.0 petrols but, that being said, is perfectly adequate if you are the sort to pootle around. GTS is the sweet spot and turbo turns up the dial on the fun factor.

A lot depends on your budget and intended use as well as anticipated mileage so more info about that and I am sure you will arrive at a consensus with folk here.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

The worries about diesel are over done... don't forget the Macan has the latest Euro 6 compliant engine and it willl be 10 years plus before any government would have the nerve to penalise owners of such cars.
In my opinion, once the election is over and the government confirms what they plan to do with diesel cars aged15 years and older, confidence will return and you will see a reverse of the negative sentiment and the SD with its all round qualities will once again be the sensible choice. Obviously, this is only my opinion, D.Y.O.R
Last edited by Sidscott on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.