Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Sorry, Im dyslexic ... that should read D.Y.O.R..!

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Sidscott wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:42 pm The worries about diesel are over done... don't forget the Macan has the latest Euro 6 compliant engine and it willl be 10 years plus before any government would have the nerve to penalise owners of such cars.
In my opinion, once the election is over and the government confirms what they plan to do with diesel cars aged15 years and older, confidence will return and you will see a reverse of the negative sentiment and the SD with its all round qualities will once again be the sensible choice. Obviously, this is only my opinion, D.Y.O.R
I'm with you on this Sidscott, even though I changed from an SD to a S. It was as much to do with the fact that I was offered a short notice build slot for the S, and that I could have my own spec. Hopefully all Euro 6 Diesels will not be too badly affected, and there are lot out there.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Not sure I agree about diesels in long term.

Its the short journeys that they are not the best for, emissions compliance needs the system up to temp.

London will still go ahead with the extra levy on oil burners, at least that is what I expect.

I followed a green bus the other day, at least that is what was blazened over the back of it and I had to turn on the air recirc as the damn bus was belching out black smoke.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As has been said before - and will doubtless be often repeated - it's really down to mileage and as such you just have to do the maths whilst factoring in the politics.
I love my petrol S and will annually do maybe 8-9K max. On the runs to Beaulieu over the weekend we got around 28mpg for a 105-120 journey of every sort - fast m/w, fast and slow country roads and lanes and the inevitable queues. Can't complain about that.
Around town it can drop to +/- 20. I also suspect as again has been mentioned that the consumption responds well to Porsche driving. We're off across the channel soon and expecting 30-ish. By a country mile it's the best of its type - and other types besides. As I was when we bought it I'd be hard pressed to pick an alternative - and a replacement - unless it be a Panamera! 😎
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Agree with Col comments above. Think short and long term Diesel is taking a hit.
Saying that no point going petrol if you do 15k + a year as thatvwill take a big hit too.
Also base it on the type of driving you do as short runs without a good 20 + minute run above 2000rpm will no doubt cause problems with DPF.
Also do not compare one manufacturers diesel experience to another. Different engine etc. Some suffer more than others. Maybe newer models with the new regulations require more longer runs to clear it out?
I am a Petrol head and very biased but seen a few too many people complaining about DPF issues of recent years.
Hope this helps the OP.
GTS 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Dandock wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:06 pm By a country mile it's the best of its type - and other types besides. As I was when we bought it I'd be hard pressed to pick an alternative - and a replacement - unless it be a Panamera! 😎
You know you want to, Mike! Highly recommended! :mrgreen:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:06 pm By a country mile it's the best of its type - and other types besides. As I was when we bought it I'd be hard pressed to pick an alternative - and a replacement - unless it be a Panamera! 😎
You know you want to, Mike! Highly recommended! :mrgreen:
Judy was seriously impressed notwithstanding the potential entry/exit height.
Best start thinking about a savings plan, though. 😳
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

The air suspension came in handy when we drove away off the grassy bank back down onto the tarmac. Switched from low, through medium to high setting, completed the descent, then back to low suspension setting and Sport driving mode for the drive home! 😎
Simon

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

We clearly need to do some research. 😁
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

👍 🤓
Simon