My first new Porsche

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Many years in a lovely 3.2 Carrera imported from California came to an end when spiralling repair costs competed with house building!

However, all that is behind me now and at the tender age of 72 I'm about to take delivery of my first new Porsche (PJCFDHW2)

I see that this lively forum is full of helpful people who offer advice/opinions on virtually any subject, so here's my question.

My other half has experienced multiple back fractures in the past year, so 18-way sports seats had to go in place of the 14-way comfort ones. Also we chose the air suspension after a drive in one of each.

I have until June 24th to fiddle with the options and the wheel size is causing me some head-scratching. Left to my own devices, I would have picked 20", but have selected 19" to give us bit more rubber between us and the road. Any comments please?

Oh - and I will select privacy glass and the 18" spare before the window of opportunity closes.

Great forum and pleased to have joined! :P

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A warm Welcome youngster oldpilot! I went for the 19" for max comfort on the rural roads around my home. The ride comfort and quality is truly excellent. Roadholding is still really good too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Pete

Post by Pete »

14 way seats are very comfy indeed.

There's a really good thread here

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4942

That lists the more attractive/useful features. Bear in mind of course that many options will become worthless come trade-in time.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome πŸ‘

Lovely spec and similar to what I started with. It's very heavy on the options but if like me you are planning on keeping the car and spec it for yourself to enjoy then great πŸ‘

Have you considered the GTS as many of the extras are standard and also not so costly. As well as getting various other advantages too. We ended up with a GTS with full GTS leather interior and changed the wheels to be silver 20" sport design which we love. My wife did not want a GTS because she thought it looked too aggressive. Changing the wheels sorted that problem out πŸ˜€
Spec a GTS and see how it comes out.

Things to consider
Listen to Bose and see if you feel it's worth it. We thought the standard system in My 17-18 was good enough. Better than the previous standard system.

Entry and drive. Do you really need / want it. Just do some searching on car keyless security and you will see some of the pitfalls.

You will get a lovely ride with 19" or 20" with air.
The pano roof is worth every penny imo. It's open all the time even when the sun is not shining πŸ˜€
Last edited by Kasfranks99 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS πŸ˜€
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

Spec looks pretty good BUT it is missing a couple of items that will help, (1) PS+ which is power steering that adjusts from max assist at parking speeds to zero assist at about 20 mph. (2) spare wheel, take it from one who has just had an unrepairable puncture where the can of sealant would have just blown itself out of the hole in the sidewall a spare saved me a lot of time hanging around waiting for the tow truck and at the OPC waiting for a loaner from Enterprise to be delivered (3) do consider a heated steering wheel, I find mine is used far more than the heated seats.

I have back trouble and for me the 14 way seats are the most comfortable of any car in the size range that I have driven so you are correct in going with them.

I have air suspension on 20" wheels and the ride is very compliant and far better than the loaner Merc that I am driving at the moment whilst my Macan if off the road with the wheel problem. Best ride of any Macan I have driven was with Air and 18" so your choice of 19" will be a good compromise between looks and functionality.

LEDs light up the next county so a wise inclusion there, and the ACC is leaps and bounds better than the standard.

Do search our posts here for other options and reports, you do get an invite to go to SIlverstone PEC for a 1/2 day driving an S around their tracks.

In our posts there is one from Bazza on vehicle security, do read that and re-consider Entry and Drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pete

Post by Pete »

I agree that 18s on air gives you a sublime ride, although you can get porpoising on undulating sections of country roads.

I had keyless entry and go on my evoque and miss it now. Security advantages are debatable - I always felt that keyless entry was safer than a full remote due to the shorter transmission range. Then again I often forgot if I locked the car or not - at least with the remote key, there's a now secure habit. I'd go with what you're currently used to as you're already in the habit.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I went for the highest possible tyre profile. We've had three tyres damaged on lower profiles resulting in two rim repairs.

I gather the councils are now not so keen to pay out for pothole damage.

The Silverstone experience is well worth doing if you can make it; brings home how fantastic the handling can be and the value of some safety features.

I love the seats and cabin, totally cosy and supportive, presumably you have the memory package.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome. Great spec..

With air suspension you could get away with any wheel size. Which size do you think looks the best or suits the best?
microbe

Post by microbe »

I went with 19" wheels to improve ride and reduce alloy damage and have no regrets. I also have 14 way seats which are very comfortable although the (much smaller than 18 way) bolsters still get in the way a bit
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, oldpilot! πŸ‘

I agree with Col on the heated steering wheel and PS+. I see that you already plan to add the spare wheel.

In view of your partner's back issues, the 19" or even 18" wheels should improve comfort, although from purely a looks point of view, the 20" wheels would be my choice (or 21"s). ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018