Test Drive on Tuesday

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
TobyJug

Post by TobyJug »

Hi everyone
Have just joined after some problems with registration, having been accused of being a spammer !
We are test driving a GTS on Tuesday which am really looking forward to. We are completely new to Porsche having mainly lived in some out of the way places in Africa and, more recently, Rome - neither of which were very suitable for expensive vehicles. For example, at one stage we had 8 years in Ghana and I made the mistake of buying a Freelander V6 which worked perfectly until I had to take it to the dealer for the timing belt to be adjusted and basically I did not see it again for 15 months !
My only concern is how long the wait is from paying the deposit until delivery ? If anyone has some up to date information on this, it would be most useful.
Otherwise I can see that the Forum will be extremely useful as we decide on our options package, which looks as though it will have to be extensive.
TobyJug

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Ask the dealer. If you aren't happy with the answer, phone round different dealers because they are all different.
When you have your test drive, ask for the spec for the car. Importantly, which seats, which suspension (air or not), PS+, which wheels and any other things that it might have (like styling changes). You might just assume that it is a standard car, but when you come to spec one you will want to know which options the car you test drove had fitted.
TobyJug

Post by TobyJug »

Hi Ian. Thanks for the good advice. When I initially spoke to the dealer in Reading, I told them that we were pretty much equidistant between 4 dealers (Hatfield, Reading, Silverstone and West London) and I was worried that they each had areas and I was supposed to deal with the one in my area. The salesperson advised that 'three of the four were part of their group', so it did not really matter. She recommended Reading as the HQ is there deliveries pass through there.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Hello.

Even within dealer groups there can be variances in what they can offer (lead times) but they can also move slots around more easily.
But do ring around. When I ordered my current car my local was quoting the standard 18-months, but I contacted every dealer and had offers as low as 3 months. I ended up going for Tewkesbury (4 months) because of the good vibe, but it was over 100 miles away.

I still use my local for servicing (and even test drives!)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, TobyJug. đź‘Ť Great advice from Ian and goron. I also deal with Tewkesbury - they are great. Good luck with your GTS test drive on Tuesday and we look forward to hearing your impressions. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Be afraid

Test driving any Macan will lead to addiction.

A GTS is pretty well specced as standard, so do as advised and get the SE to point out all extras included in the demo car
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

When I ordered my car SDs were being specced by my dealer for stock so we could have had one of those almost as quickly as it could be made. Recently they had brand new SD available from stock. All the petrols were on 6 month plus lead times except for one turbo build slot that we grabbed.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
TobyJug

Post by TobyJug »

Well - we duly had our test drive and have paid our deposit (as you all predicted) ! Delivery in Oct (subject to confirmation) when the 4th quarter slots are allocated by Porsche. The whole experience was very painless and extremely enjoyable, especially when we had a look behind where there must be hundreds of Porsches, either awaiting delivery around the country or in for service, including some amazing classic cars. I would not like to be in charge of security at that place (Reading). There is also some building going on which will apparently be used for training.
There were numerous diesels in the showroom as well as second hand outside. In contrast, our GTS test car had to be brought in from elsewhere and there were very few petrol models in the show room.
We have started working on the options but obviously have a little while until lockdown (probably end August). I think I will be using the Ordering section quite a lot for advice on what to go for.
We are looking to have a test vehicle for 24hrs towards the end of July which will be fantastic
The Porsche staff were very professional and friendly. I am not sure if we can name names here but would certainly recommend the ones whom we met.
I suppose we are now on our way to becoming full members of the Forum.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yeah, I bought mine from the Reading showroom. Who did you deal with?

There's no harm in naming names if they're compliments...
VanB

Post by VanB »

I bought mine from Reading and received excellent service and advice. They are very good to deal with and it was less than 3 months from deposit to delivery. If you want advice on specific options just ask and you will get a zillion opinions! I think most people end up with c ÂŁ8-10k in options.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate