Newbie from Silverstone

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I tried both S and SD over my typical usage and actively plumped for the SD. Awesome performance in my now 2.5 month / 1500 mile experience of mixed M-way to C-roads journeys. SD is very quiet and has a lovely ride quality on 19" alloys with PASM.

We have a petrol car for the short / less than 10 mile round trips.

But hey! each to their own......
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 pm I tried both S and SD over my typical usage and actively plumped for the SD. Awesome performance in my now 2.5 month / 1500 mile experience of mixed M-way to C-roads journeys. SD is very quiet and has a lovely ride quality on 19" alloys with PASM.

We have a petrol car for the short / less than 10 mile round trips.

But hey! each to their own......
I'm pretty sold on the diesel too for economy and relaxed drive, but the 340 hp petrol does sound pretty good too. I wasn't overly impressed with the diesel Cayenne (in terms of power) I borrowed for the weekend, but the Macan must be lighter. I have to keep reminding myself that this is going to be a family car, not for track days! Ultimately ride quality, comfort and luggage space will be more important than power. In my experience of other Porsches, they usually do a great job of the ride/handling balance, so I have high expectations here. The Cayenne I drove was good in this respect too, I just prefer the idea of something a little less bulky and arguably better looking.

Good to hear that the SD is quiet and works well with steel + PASM. It would be nice not to have to fork out extra for the air suspension if not needed.
Deleted User 1874

Sidscott wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:24 am Drive an SD in sport plus mode and that will convince you... It is awesome and a must have option on the SD in my opinion.
You get best of both worlds...Performance when you want it and economy when you want it.. !
I'm sure Sport Plus would make it feel more aggressive, but that's not really what I'm looking for here. I never really got on with Sport Plus on my 997. It just made the gearshift pointlessly harsh and the auto shift strategy way too aggressive for road use. If I wanted to press on I would always drive it in manual mode on the standard setting, which was the smoothest way to drive fast. I remember Chris Harris making the same comment in his initial review of PDK. Unless things are considerably different in the Macan, I won't be ticking the SC option this time. But again something to try for myself before deciding.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I share this view. I only really use sport mode for narrow country lanes when I want an immediate throttle response or shaking off a tail-gater.

When looking around at used Macans, I had the view that a car with an SC/Sorts+ could be an indication of a thrashed car.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Pete wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am
When looking around at used Macans, I had the view that a car with an SC/Sorts+ could be an indication of a thrashed car.

Not necessarily the case. SC could have been specced for resale reasons, perceived desirability, 'they liked the dash-top 'clock'', to make their Porsche more 'sporty' or various other reasons. I would say that only a minority of SC-equipped cars would be in Sport Plus mode for much of the time at all. A Macan is unlikely to be regularly tracked and most owners would seldom/never use Launch Control on their own car. :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 pm
Pete wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:36 am

Not necessarily the case. SC could have been specced for resale reasons, perceived desirability, 'they liked the dash-top 'clock'', to make their Porsche more 'sporty' or various other reasons. I would say that only a minority of SC-equipped cars would be in Sport Plus mode for much of the time at all. A Macan is unlikely to be regularly tracked and most owners would seldom/never use Launch Control on their own car. :ugeek:
+1

SC, occasionally used in two Macans

LC, never
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pete

Post by Pete »

It was just the impression I got while looking around. Of course, most owners are entirely responsible and don't rag the tires off their motors...
Deleted User 1874

SC is pretty much a compulsory resale option for 911s, but I found it pointless for road use so I'm not going to spec it on my new Macan. If I was buying used it wouldn't bother me either way if it had SC or not. I'm not buying an SUV to rev the nuts off it in every gear. Smooth effortless power delivery is what I'm after here.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

My 911 didn't have SC (a 2013 991.1 C2) and I note that many/most forum members who've had SC-equipped 911s didn't/don't use Sport Plus often... 🤔
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

One thing about the SD that I did not like with mine was the throttle and gearbox response when in Comfort mode.

The throttle was sluggish with a long prod being required on the pedal and the gearbox seemed to ask itself twenty rather long questions before anything happened.

Put it in Sport mode and the car was transformed.

I eventually only used Comfort mode for Motoraway cruising.

Glad to see the back of the SD in the end, its not the engine of choice in it current detuned form for me.

Give the SD the same power as the engine has in an SQ5 and it would be the engine of choice.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags