Newbie from Silverstone

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Pete wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm I have no motorsport experience at all, but I'd agree with the assessment that big rims are largely a cosmetic thing. I've been more than happy with my 18s and not fretting about them being kerbed. I guess there might be handling characteristics of having less lateral flex at the expense of greater lateral wear.

I just have to put up with comments that I should have chosen larger rims or comments like "bigger rims would fill those arches".
From a pure handling point of view a lot of track day warriors still seem to prefer 18s or 19s over 20s on their 911s and Caymans. But a lot depends on actual tyre availability for any specific vehicle. For example you may happen to have a better choice of performance tyres in 19" size, that would easily trump any theoretical gains/losses from running 18s or 20s.

The Macan is running a larger overall tyre circumference than a 911 (I presume), so not so low profile for a given rim size. For me, the ride comfort and kerb practicality of a smaller rim far outweigh any marginal handling gain (which may or may not exist). The only negative I've read about 18s on the Macan is too much of a floaty feeling over undulations, which I'll get to test pretty thoroughly on our local roads. If that turns out to be a real issue then I'm sure 19s will be fine.

Pete

Post by Pete »

Yes, it can float a bit over small undulations, but a quick stab of the PASM button should cure that. I don't really mind so much - the 'floating on air' feeling reminds me of my old Range Rover.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Pete wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 pm Yes, it can float a bit over small undulations, but a quick stab of the PASM button should cure that. I don't really mind so much - the 'floating on air' feeling reminds me of my old Range Rover.
I expect I'll be fine with it too. My main priority is to soak up all the potholes without any crashing and jarring. The Disco Sport I borrowed for a weekend on 19" rims was excellent in that respect. I could just plough over and through everything without the slightest need to move off line. Makes driving on our country roads so much less stressful. I'm hoping the Macan will be the same or even better ride quality on 18s with PASM and it's a given that the handling will be better.