Newbie from Silverstone

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Hi everyone!

As a long time Porsche owner (various classic and modern 911s over the years) I've finally decided its about time I got a more practical Porsche and the Macan fits the bill nicely, with just about enough room for the family and luggage while hopefully maintaining a degree of 911 soul. I looked at other medium sized SUVs, but none of them floated my boat. I thought the Discovery Sport was quite nice, but ultimately not very exciting and I was put off by the many reports of dubious build quality. Then I looked at the cost of a Macan and was pleasantly surprised how close it was to a high spec Disco Sport and Macan residuals should be a little better. No-brainer really, although the Disco does have considerably more space inside.

I have lots of questions on spec and options, but will trawl the forum a little before asking. But I'm looking at either an S or SD at the moment to keep the cost fairly sensible. I'll also be arranging some test drives at our local Porsche centre (Silverstone). It will be interesting to see how the petrol and diesel engines compare in the real world. If they had similar power I'm pretty sure I'd go diesel, but I think 80 hp is a lot to give up over the petrol. But we'll see as this is daily transport rather than a track day car!

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Peteski!

You will enjoy the test drives and it will be interesting to see how the wait times compare between S and SD. My guess is you'd have a longer wait for an SD.

Another factor to consider would be the type and length of your typical journeys.

Happy reading...! :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Welcome to the forum.

I think WC has got his S and SD round the wrong way. There has always been a longer wait for the petrol version.

Once you've made your mind up, it is worth ringing around a few dealers to see if any of them have cancelled order build slots. Good hunting.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

After a test drive you will not look at anything else since the Macan is so good.

TIP
When you do have test drives take images of each car and make a note of specifically what extras are included in said car.

To read up on the extras this is the thread to start off with

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4942

If after the test drives you decide on a specific variant and then you want the car asap place the deposit, its fully refundable up to spec lockdown which is 6 weeks prior to build so you have plenty of time to spec
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

On-Track wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:20 pm Welcome to the forum.

Once you've made your mind up, it is worth ringing around a few dealers to see if any of them have cancelled order build slots. Good hunting.
Exactly how I got a cancelled order for an S, with only a 3 month wait. Worth a few phone calls to each individual OPC, starting nearest to you. Bonne chance.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome. I was going to buy a Range Rover Sport but changed to the Macan and no regrets.

Enjoy your test drives.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

On-Track wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:20 pm I think WC has got his S and SD round the wrong way. There has always been a longer wait for the petrol version.

Indeed! Doh! Schoolboy error! :oops: My apologies. Of course I meant to say that Peteski is likely to be able to get his hands on a new SD noticeably more quickly than a petrol S. :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Thanks guys, will do a bit of reading on spec. I'm not in a big hurry to get one as I can easily wait until next spring and I may wait for the facelift if imminent around that time. Out of interest, what sort of standard lead times should I expect on an order? I don't mind up to a 6 month wait, but any longer would be a pain.

I popped into the local OPC at lunchtime, but my usual sales contact was busy with another customer so I'll arrange a meeting next week for a chat and to arrange a test drive.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SD probably about 5m and an S about 6-7m, but these are a guess on my part.

Please do not be put off by the wait, ringing several OPCs will give you a better idea of deliveries.

I have a Turbo and was offered two early builds that would have meant 4m lead time so its well worth ringing around.

A deposit soon may not secure you a facelifted Macan, you would probably have to cancel and re-order

If you want a facelifted Macan then a letter of intent would get you one of the first at your OPC unless other prior buyers want the builds.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Any idea when the facelift Macan will be released? I don't want to order one now for delivery late in the year and then see a facelift version arrive in spring. I'd rather just wait a few months longer. But if the facelift is still nearly a year away then I wouldn't bother waiting that long for it.

5-6m wait is no issue for me. I'd rather order from my local OPC as I have a good long standing relationship with them and they are literally 5 mins away from home.